have we got the materials?

live is my dancefloor as long as my lag works

Top Quote
kingcreole

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2011-02-23, 08:18

i just read this post by ixprefect:

I like the new mines, particularly the animation is really awesome. Such a small change, but somehow it gives the game so much more life. Same goes for the well, really, though of course it's a bit strange that the worker just disappears when idle

and then like BOOM i had this idea: we could have the worker sitting arround the working space in the idle, only problem would be: the idle would have to wait until a worker arrives... is there any way to add a line or two in the conf file like if workers=0 pics=i_00 if workers>0 pics=i_01 or something?

Edited: 2011-02-23, 08:19

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2011-02-23, 09:09

The same problem appears at the other buildings as well. There is no special unoccupied state defined. Did you never see the smith reading his newspapers, while he just should be on the way? I’m not sure, whether it is planned by now. Certainly not for build16. ;-) So just make the idle animation, it’s no big problem at the moment, that it’s even running, when it’s not occupied.

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
ixprefect

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2011-02-23, 14:02

That's a good point. As Venatrix said, no such changes before build16, but perhaps you could add a bug report about this on Launchpad and target it for build17? There are a number of possibilities for fixing it, I guess most of them can actually be fixed via conf files, by switching between different building animations, but if there is a need for some C++ changes then we should definitely accomodate that as well.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-02-23, 14:28

Bug #566932 speaks specifically to the builder waiting for material v.s. idle v.s. work animation possibilities. However, there is no code to play a specific animation while waiting for the worker to arrive at the site v.s. idle. As stated above, it won't happen for build 16, especially now we're in a "First snow fall" feature freeze leading up to release.

I am glad this issue has been raised again. I for one would REALLY like to see such options available for animation. (Note the author of the bug report.) ;) Maybe someone would care to submit a new bug report to address this specific issue. (hint, hint)

Edited for clarity.

Edited: 2011-02-23, 14:37

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-02-23, 14:54

kingcreole wrote:

have we got the materials?

For continuity throughout the barbarian buildings we might use:

• Slate roof - appending a material like that for military buildings (ex. donjon) could work
  • wood shingle roof - see the sentry
  • Thatched (straw) roof - see headquarters

Of course, there is nothing to stop you from working up your own materials.

I see little people.

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2011-02-23, 18:31

chuckw wrote: Maybe someone would care to submit a new bug report to address this specific issue. (hint, hint)

Well, I had a look and realized that there already is a report about that issue: https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/657266 It’s just declared as opinion, not as bug. So open another bug report is not an option. I just post a link to this discussion. Right?

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-02-24, 02:50

Venatrix wrote:

Well, I had a look and realized that there already is a report about that issue: https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/657266 It’s just declared as opinion, not as bug. So open another bug report is not an option. I just post a link to this discussion. Right?

That works for me. face-smile.png I've targeted it for serious consideration in Build 17. Thanks for airing this issue again.

I see little people.

Top Quote
kingcreole

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2011-08-01, 11:34

i need a little advice at the warehouse model... the problem: there is no material looking like that roof used before, should i make it plane green and model the whole thing (no problem for me) or should i use another texture? (allso no problem for me)

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-01, 15:09

kingcreole wrote: i need a little advice at the warehouse model... the problem: there is no material looking like that roof used before, should i make it plane green and model the whole thing (no problem for me) or should i use another texture? (allso no problem for me)

Take a look at the models for the farm, helmsmithy/weaving mill, brewery, one of the military buildings, or even one of the huts. Any of those roof materials would certainly work and keep continuity in design. However, if you want to experiment with a new material, go ahead! I just ask that we keep the rustic look for the barbarians, (i.e. no slate or tile roofs, or PAINT) face-grin.png Remember thatch is one of their chief building materials.

If you feel like experimenting with a different design for the structure itself, I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with.

Thanks for your efforts. It's always good to hear from you.

I see little people.

Top Quote