Welcome to Widelands.org
Widelands is a free, open source real-time strategy game with singleplayer campaigns and a multiplayer mode. The game was inspired by Settlers II™ (© Bluebyte) but has significantly more variety and depth to it. Still, it is easy to get started through playable tutorials.
This website is the home of the Widelands community. You are invited to visit the forums: discuss strategies, find partners for multiplayer games, help with translations, voice your opinion on graphics, music and much more.
Widelands is currently (and will always be) under development - you can get a feel for what is worked on by looking at the changelog. Everybody is invited to help out too - we need 2D and 3D artists, sound effect creators, composers, map makers, translators, test players, web programmers and C++ coders. All skill levels are welcome - just start working on something or ask in the forums for pointers.
To celebrate the arrival of build 19 and the immediate availability of build 19 RC-1, king_of_nowhere offered to organize another tournament. As reigning champion (together with his team mate) of the last tournament he will also return to defend his title.
The tournament is for single players, but king_of_nowhere considers throwing in a phase of team games with randomly shuffled teams. The exact format of the tournament is to-be-determined when we have the exact number of participants.
- the tribe you want to play in the first game,
- your timezone,
- and the days and UTC timeslots you are most likely able to play.
Signup runs till November 13.
1 comments Posted by SirVer on Today 09:25
Build 19 rc1 is available
The first build candidate of build 19 is available. Please download (see below) and test it. If no show stopper bugs show up, we will release build 19 in a few weeks.
Some of the highlights of this build are:
- Seafaring AI and other AI improvements
- Message filtering
- New in-game and in-editor help system
- Efficient graphics loading and rendering.
- New starting condition “Trading Outpost”
- New win condition “Artifacts”
- 4 Tutorials
- Improved Barbarians and Empire campaigns
- 3 new maps
- No separate worlds anymore. All terrains can now be used on all maps. Old maps stay compatible.
- No separate tribes anymore: Though in game the tribes still seem separate, they are in fact now the same tribe with different buildings and workers enabled. This allows for interesting concepts down the line like a mixed economy or trading.
- New animations, overlay images and icons
- New forested mountains terrains
- Many menu redesigns
- Improved support for non-Latin scripts and right-to-left languages
- Various small balance changes (for example more experience in mines, stronger barbarian soldiers)
- Behind the scenes: move to SDL 2, Build system refactoring, move to c++ 11, continuous integration, move to Transifex and merge bot. Also tons of cleanups to the code base.
It is imperative that this candidate is tested by as many people as possible! Please do so and provide feedback. You can find binaries for windows and Mac and sources for all other operating systems at:
0 comments Posted by GunChleoc on 2016-10-25, 23:30
No more bugs have been found, so Widelands will go into Winter Freeze tonight. This means that no more code changes will be made unless a critical bug is found within the next week. We will prepare a release candidate after that.
8 comments Posted by GunChleoc on 2016-10-17, 22:39