Welcome to Widelands.org
Widelands is a free, open source real-time strategy game with singleplayer campaigns and a multiplayer mode. The game was inspired by Settlers II™ (© Bluebyte) but has significantly more variety and depth to it. Still, it is easy to get started through playable tutorials.
This website is the home of the Widelands community. You are invited to visit the forums: discuss strategies, find partners for multiplayer games, help with translations, voice your opinion on graphics, music and much more.
Widelands is currently (and will always be) under development - you can get a feel for what is worked on by looking at the changelog. Everybody is invited to help out too - we need 2D and 3D artists, sound effect creators, composers, map makers, translators, test players, web programmers and C++ coders. All skill levels are welcome - just start working on something or ask in the forums for pointers.
Since we’re now in feature freeze, it’s time to summarize what we’ve been up to during the last half year. Numerous bugs have been fixed, the performance has been improved, and new features have been implemented. Here are some of the highlights:
Animations, Icons and Overlays
- Improved Frisian models
- Added missing working and workload animations to Atlantean Smoker, Barbarian Big Inn and Barbarian Wood Hardener
- Each tribe now has individual resource indicator graphics
- Added utility to rename animation files in bulk
Sounds and Music
- Never play the same song twice in a row
- Improvements to sounds and the sound mix
Tutorials, Campaigns and Scripting
- Diverse improvements to the new Empire and Frisian scenarios and the Economy Tutorial
- Added support for writing and loading of campaign data, so that some scenario state can be transferred from one scenario to the next in campaigns
- Unified design of MapObject program names.
- Introduced the return value
no_statsfor work programs
- Unfortunately, we had to break savegame compatibility in version 8747 in order to fix an issue with the economy engine, which required a big code change
- Fixed performance problems with long savegames that were resulting in endless save loops
- Improved identification of regions that can’t be connected so that the AI won’t waste any time with attempts to build something there
- Improved decision making for mining
- Fisher now strictly requires fish in the vicinity
- Tweaked scoring of AI performance, used for training of AI
- Continued AI training
- Numerous balancing improvements for all tribes, especially for mines and for the Frisians
- Added check for visibility of military building before permitting an attack
- Improved algorithm for promotion and demotion of roads
- Ware routing improvements to prevent road congestion
- Building Statistics now only show relevant buildings
- Show in-game clock in release builds too
- In multiplayer games, scroll to starting position when a game is loaded
- New Ship Statistics window that lets players access all their ships easily
- Use Lua to define background and button styles in
- New graphics for fullscreen menus
- Fix mousewheel speed for lists and broken auto-scrolling of multi-line text areas
- Added tooltip to file save and make directory edit boxes if illegal filename is being entered
- Added a checkbox to toggle filenames when loading a replay
- Select map-defined player names and tribes for non-scenario maps in single player game setup
- Input queues for buildings now show a different graphic when a missing ware is already on its way
- Redesigned the showing of work area overlays: on by default when placing a building, and off by default otherwise
- Auto-close the building window when dismantling a building
- Added a dialog for the host when the connection to a client is lost – this allows the hosting player to select whether to replace the client with an AI or to exit
- Completed the switchover to the new font renderer
- Fixed mix of localized / unlocalized default player names in editor
- Fix undefined / unexpected behavior in case LANG environment is empty
Help and Documentation
- Constructionsites’ help buttons now point to the help for the building being built
- Documented metaserver command line option
lua_path.ccto the online documentation
- Fixed bugs in map options panel
- Fixed keyboard navigation with escape and enter for save map and save game screens
- New maps now have 0 players
- Redesigned player menu and info tool text
- Player tribes can now be defined as random
- Fixed fuzzy overlay images when the player hits Ctrl+0 to reset the zoom
- Improvements to Metaserver protocol
- Fixed memory leak in LanGameFinder
Operating System Dependent changes
- Add CFBundleShortVersionString to Mac builds
- Improvements to Mac build options
- Fixed Appdata for Debian-based software centers
- Write log output to homedir instead of the program folder
- Widelands is now installed into local Appdata
2 comments Posted by GunChleoc on 2018-10-02, 09:50
It is getting colder...
Widelands build 20 first snow feature freeze is now in place. What does that mean? It means that we will only change translations, graphics and sounds for the foreseeable future - no new features. Improvements to the new Frisian tribe will also still be accepted. We will fix outstanding targeted bugs and newly found critical bugs, but the current development version is pretty much what Widelands Build 20 will look like.
What happens next?
According to the Release Documentation, we will fix the remaining bugs and roughly two weeks after this, we will declare winter time feature freeze. This is to give you (the community) some more time to catch up with translations etc. Roughly one week after the winter time feature freeze, we will provide you all with the first release candidate for even more testing.
What does that mean for me?
You have only a few more weeks to update the translations for Widelands Build 20. Head over to Transifex (instructions can be found in our wiki) and add the missing translations for your language! And play the current development version as much as you can and report bugs. Build 20 should be a rock solid release like all the others before it. Let's make it so.
3 comments Posted by GunChleoc on 2018-09-17, 11:05
Economy tournament 2018: and the winner is...
He managed to surprise everybody with his results in all categories. All the scores are available at the end of this post.
Hopefully you have enjoyed this type of tournament and there will be another one!
6 comments Posted by einstein13 on 2018-06-02, 11:08