Welcome to Widelands.org
Widelands is a free, open source real-time strategy game with singleplayer campaigns and a multiplayer mode. The game was inspired by Settlers II™ (© Bluebyte) but has significantly more variety and depth to it. Still, it is easy to get started through playable tutorials.
This website is the home of the Widelands community. You are invited to visit the forums: discuss strategies, find partners for multiplayer games, help with translations, voice your opinion on graphics, music and much more.
Widelands is currently (and will always be) under development - you can get a feel for what is worked on by looking at the changelog. Everybody is invited to help out too - we need 2D and 3D artists, sound effect creators, composers, map makers, translators, test players, web programmers and C++ coders. All skill levels are welcome - just start working on something or ask in the forums for pointers.
It is getting colder...
Widelands build 20 first snow feature freeze is now in place. What does that mean? It means that we will only change translations, graphics and sounds for the foreseeable future - no new features. Improvements to the new Frisian tribe will also still be accepted. We will fix outstanding targeted bugs and newly found critical bugs, but the current development version is pretty much what Widelands Build 20 will look like.
What happens next?
According to the Release Documentation, we will fix the remaining bugs and roughly two weeks after this, we will declare winter time feature freeze. This is to give you (the community) some more time to catch up with translations etc. Roughly one week after the winter time feature freeze, we will provide you all with the first release candidate for even more testing.
What does that mean for me?
You have only a few more weeks to update the translations for Widelands Build 20. Head over to Transifex (instructions can be found in our wiki) and add the missing translations for your language! And play the current development version as much as you can and report bugs. Build 20 should be a rock solid release like all the others before it. Let's make it so.
3 comments Posted by GunChleoc on 2018-09-17, 11:05
Economy tournament 2018: and the winner is...
He managed to surprise everybody with his results in all categories. All the scores are available at the end of this post.
Hopefully you have enjoyed this type of tournament and there will be another one!
6 comments Posted by einstein13 on 2018-06-02, 11:08
It’s been a year since the last development post, so it’s high time for a summary of what we’ve been up to. Along diverse bug fixes, these are some of the new features:
Graphics and Music
- New improved field selector graphics
- New music track 'Running out of Coal' by Stuart Marshall
- Diverse refactorings to the graphics engine
- New font renderer is ready for complex markup
Tutorials, Campaigns and Scripting
- We have added two new missions for the Empire campaign, with advanced economy gameplay
- Scenarios can now have animated revealing/hiding of fields and add custom buildings
- Allow resetting of teams via Lua during a game
- Added 2 new functions to Lua interface:
- Opening a router port is no longer necessary. This means no more fiddling with router settings for hosting a game.
- We have also added support for IPv6
- Increased password security by no longer storing and transmitting it in plain text
- The AI now uses a genetic algorithm. The genetic parameters are trained and then kept in
.waifiles. If you wish to help with training, please let us know.
- Multiple changes and improvements to the building logic and to the AI hints
- Prohibit seafaring buildings for AI on non-seafaring maps
- When scouting with a ship, the AI nows considers whether a possible sea direction leads to unknown territories
- New “Village” starting condition.
- Diverse balancing tweaks
- The worker program
plantno longer takes
tribe:as a parameter; immovables are now identified via their attributes only, and both world and tribe immovables are searched. As a side effect, tribe immovables can now have terrain affinity.
- Forester/Ranger now prefers good soil, and is thus more efficient
- Scouts are aware of nearby military sites. The scout now switches between random walking and doing an excursion to enemy military sites.
- Started implementing new “Market” building with a Barbarian prototype. Not functional yet.
- Converted all texts to the new font renderer. Formatting functions for the new renderer live in
- Wider use of dropdown menus
- New commandline option
- Refactored load- and savegame screens
- Improvements to campaign message boxes, keyboard navigation and UI focusing
- Added feature to update all ware priorities of a building when CTRL is pressed while clicking
- The “Options” screen now saves to file immediately so that the changes will be remembered even if Widelands crashes afterwards
- Implemented glossary generation for the Transifex glossary with help from the Translate Toolkit
- Show translation statistics next to the language selection menu and invite translators if a translation is incomplete
Help and Documentation
- Added immovables to in-game help
- More cross-linking between map object classes and their description objects in the scripting documentation
- Added/Improved scripting documentation for animations, worker programs, worker help texts, AI hints, World units and the Richtext system
- Display of bobs, immovables and resources can now be toggled individually
- Added support for gcc7.
- Let Travis build each commit on MacOS in addition to our Linux builds
- Allow compiling with AddressSanitizer, and choosing between gcc and clang on the first compile. AddressSanitizer has enabled us to get rid of a number of crashes and memory leaks – we highly recommend it.
Last but not least, we have added a fourth tribe: the Frisians. It is still in an experimental stage and will need more work with balancing and model texturing. There are already two campaign missions available to introduce players to the tribe’s unique features. The Frisians are discussed in this thread.
3 comments Posted by GunChleoc on 2018-04-17, 08:52