Welcome to Widelands.org
Widelands is a free, open source real-time strategy game with singleplayer campaigns and a multiplayer mode. The game was inspired by Settlers II™ (© Bluebyte) but has significantly more variety and depth to it. Still, it is easy to get started through playable tutorials.
This website is the home of the Widelands community. You are invited to visit the forums: discuss strategies, find partners for multiplayer games, help with translations, voice your opinion on graphics, music and much more.
Widelands is currently (and will always be) under development - you can get a feel for what is worked on by looking at the changelog. Everybody is invited to help out too - we need 2D and 3D artists, sound effect creators, composers, map makers, translators, test players, web programmers and C++ coders. All skill levels are welcome - just start working on something or ask in the forums for pointers.
New round is out!
Map: the nile (territorial time)
Allotted time: start the game no later than 8 october, finish no later than 15 october
|-||blue player||tribe||result||red player||tribe||time|
|1||tando||king of nowhere||scheduled thursday 28 at 20 CEST|
4 comments Posted by king_of_nowhere on 2017-08-31, 12:44
If enough people subscribe, I will organize a new tournament in september. More details in the subscription thread https://wl.widelands.org/forum/topic/2905/
------------- Subscriptions are open. -------------------
You must confirm your intention to participate before the end of august.
2 comments Posted by king_of_nowhere on 2017-06-29, 13:03
It’s been six months since the release of Build 19, so the time has come to give everybody an update on the current state of our development. We have already finished some exciting new features that will go into Build 20:
- New “Barracks” (casern) building for recruiting soldiers. Solders are no longer created by warehouses.
- New sounds for many buildings and three new music tracks
- Maps can now be zoomed using the mouse wheel or keyboard keys: CTRL+, CTRL-, to in-/decrease, and CTRL+0 to reset. All map transitions like jumping in messages, in the building statistics ad on the minimap are now animated.
- Users can now select multiple entries in a table using Ctrl/Shift + Click (multiple/range selection) and Ctrl+A (select all)
- Implemented dropdown menus
- All editor/game tips from the loading screens are now accessible from the in-game/in-editor help
- Messages sent by buildings now have player color
- And last but not least, we have a new scenario for the Empire campaign!
We have also implemented many bug fixes and improvements. The highlights include:
- Improved ship exploration decisions for the AI
- Better balancing for production sites
- Shipwrights are now smarter about where they place their construction sites, so there is less of a chance that they will pick a tiny puddle instead of the open sea
- Buildings no longer close their window when the stop/start button is pressed or when the building is enhanced or dismantled
- Fullscreen switching now works properly with some of the menu screens. This is still a work in progress.
- For the Editor, we have reordered the items in the selection menus for critters, terrains and immovables, and also fixed an annoying bug where releasing the mouse button would not work properly when the mouse was moved underneath a window.
- Windows builds now have a unique app id for every build. This allows parallel installation of several Widelands versions.
On the translations front, we have started running automated glossary checks about once a month, which our translators can use to improve translation quality. The details are documented in the wiki.
Finally, another feature that we are looking forward to is a ship statistics window that will let the user see and access all their ships and what they’re currently doing. This feature will also definitely make it into Build 20!
3 comments Posted by GunChleoc on 2017-05-18, 08:44