Welcome to Widelands.org
Widelands is a free, open source real-time strategy game with singleplayer campaigns and a multiplayer mode. The game was inspired by Settlers II™ (© Bluebyte) but has significantly more variety and depth to it. Still, it is easy to get started through playable tutorials.
This website is the home of the Widelands community. You are invited to visit the forums: discuss strategies, find partners for multiplayer games, help with translations, voice your opinion on graphics, music and much more.
Widelands is currently (and will always be) under development - you can get a feel for what is worked on by looking at the changelog. Everybody is invited to help out too - we need 2D and 3D artists, sound effect creators, composers, map makers, translators, test players, web programmers and C++ coders. All skill levels are welcome - just start working on something or ask in the forums for pointers.
The Widelands Development Team is proud to announce the immediate availability of Widelands Build 20.
Since the previous release, we have implemented over 400 features, code cleanups and bug fixes. Build 20 features a new tribe – the Frisians – as well as four new campaign scenarios and a new “Barracks” building for recruiting soldiers. Also, the AI has been rewritten to use a genetic algorithm. The user interface comes with new features that make it easier to use, like map zoom, dropdown menus, a new ships list, and improved keyboard navigation. Build 20 also continues the behind the scenes cleanup, polish and modernization that was started with Build 19. There have been additional improvements to the stability and performance, as well as numerous bug-fixes.
Here are some highlights of the new features in Build 20:
- New Frisian tribe
- New “Village” starting condition
- New “Barracks” building for recruiting soldiers
- Forester/Ranger now prefers good soil, and is thus more efficient
- Scouts now spend more time near to enemy military sites
- Improved algorithm for promotion and demotion of roads
- Diverse balancing improvements and fixes
Maps, Tutorials, Campaigns & Scenarios
- 2 new missions for the Empire campaign
- 2 new missions for the new Frisians tribe
- Tweaked timings in tutorials and scenarios
- Minor fixes to the “Last Bastion” map where a player's expansion could become completely blocked across the sea
- Fixed bug in then“Crossing the Horizon” map where an artifact couldn’t be conquered by a player
Graphics & User Interface
- New Zoom feature
- New Ship Statistics window
- In building windows, see how many wares and workers are already on their way
- Update all ware priorities for a building when the Ctrl key is pressed while clicking
- New animation graphics for wheat fields, Barbarian Big Inn and Wood Hardener, Atlantean Smoker and all tribes’ resource indicators
- New menu background graphics
- New graphics for field selectors and field action tabs
- Special field selector for road building mode
- Added new information to in-game Encyclopedia and online scripting reference
- Improved keyboard navigation for tables
- Dropdown menus
- Try to show a basic error message box to the user if the graphics driver will not work with Widelands
Sounds and Music
- 6 new music tracks
- Added new sound effects and improved the sound mix
- Never play the same song twice in a row
Networking & Multiplayer
- Host internet games without opening a port in your router
- When the connection to a client in a multiplayer game is broken, the host can decide to exit or to replace the payer with an AI
- Added support for IPv6
- Increased password security by no longer storing and transmitting it in plain text
- Made debugging desyncs easier
- Extended the Lua scripting API with new functions and objects
- Added capability to add custom scenario buildings
- Allow writing and loading of campaign data, so that some scenario state can be transferred from one scenario to the next in campaigns
- Allow resetting of teams via Lua during game
- Improved reliability and performance of game and map saving and loading
- Unfortunately, we had to break savegame compatibility in version bzr8747 for an important bug fix in the economy code. So, you will not be able to load your old savegames from Build 19.
- The AI now uses a genetic algorithm
- Multiple changes and improvements to the AI logic
- New command line switches
--auto_speedto help with AI training
- Show translation statistics next to the selected language in the Options screen
- Glossary checks for inflected languages and glossary generation with support from the Translate Toolkit.
- Animals now have categories
- Display of animals, immovables and resources can now be toggled individually
- New layout for Player menu allows the selection of random tribe
- Improved text layout for the Info tool
- Limited the editor undo function to 500 items to prevent boundless growth of memory use
Operating System Support
- Windows: Allow parallel installation of multiple Widelands versions
- Windows: Widelands is now installed into local
- Windows: No longer write log output to installation folder
- Mac OS X: Modernized how releases are done
- Compiling: Added support for gcc7 and llvm8.
- Compiling: Support for Glbinding version 3 and Boost version 1.69
Widelands is currently fully translated > 50% into the following languages: British English, Bulgarian, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Low German, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Scottish Gaelic, Slovak, Spanish and Swedish. You can help with translations directly in your web browser via Transifex. Help for translating is available in the Widelands Wiki.
Widelands is distributed for Windows (64-bit) and Mac OS X >= 10.7 (Intel, 64-bit) and in source code. We no longer ship binary Linux packages because of the poor compatibility between Linux distributions. Instead, we try to make compiling for Linux users as easy as possible. Also, most distributions will pick up Build 20 into their repositories very quickly. Both binary and source packages are available from our Download page.
If you like what you see, have a look around this site. You may also want to check the forums and our IRC channel,
#widelands on Freenode, to arrange multiplayer games with other players.
We especially welcome every helping hand: help us find bugs, translate the game, add new scenarios or features! If you want to get even more involved in the further development of Widelands, you can meet us on the forum or subscribe to firstname.lastname@example.org. Releases are also announced to email@example.com.
6 comments Posted by GunChleoc on 2019-05-04, 20:01
12 comments Posted by GunChleoc on 2019-04-23, 09:57
Finally, while it’s springtime in the northern hemisphere, Winter Freeze is here! While we were busy dealing with all those network desyncs and some remaining crashes, we also indulged in a few new features on the side. These are the highlights since the First Snow freeze:
Animations, Icons and Overlays
- New wheatfield graphics by fraang
- Tweaks to solder animation timing
- Added missing animations for Barbarian Big Inn, Barbarian Wood Hardener and Atlantean Smoker Atlantean smoker
- Each tribe now has individual resource indicator graphics
Sounds and Music
- New music tracks "Scotty the Scout" by Stuart Marshall and "The beauty of the flatlands" by Klaus Halfmann
Tutorials and Campaigns
- Updated the Economy tutorial to match the new, enhanced encyclopedia
- Added roads to Player 2 in Warfare tutorial because the AI is empty
- Fixed reveal_campaign in bar_01
- Added toggling of start/stop for productionsites via Lua
- Added Lua method to get the type of the current game, i.e., single- or multiplayer.
- Big overhaul of Territorial Lord, Territorial Time and Wood Gnome win conditions to improve performance and fix crashes and other issues
- In win conditions, notify only every hour, 10 minutes in the last 30 minutes
- Don't show points when game ended by military defeat
- Exposed port spaces and max caps to Lua interface
- Fixed desyncs in win conditions and Smugglers scenario
- Fixed bugs with missing files/folders in savegames by creating a temporary map save on game start
- Added various stability improvements and error checks
- Removed superfluous "postload" call from replay to improve performance
- Shifted calculation of map fields relevant to win conditions from Lua to C++. This gives us a huge performance boost during saveloading those win conditions.
- Since the AI can handle only 1 expedition at a time, any extra expeditions are canceled
- Fixed endless loop in DefaultAI::dispensable_road_test
- Added one well to the Atlantean basic economy, as water is needed for crucial spidercloth production
- Replaced logic_rand() with std::rand() in seafaring code of AI to fix desyncs in network gaming
- Check for visibility of military buildings before permitting attack. This solves a problem with impregnable castles.
- New return value no_stats for work programs
- Increased the area where the map is recalculated after conquering by 1. This prevents buildings from sitting between borders.
- Fixeded heap-use-after-free in fleet while processing EditorGameBase::cleanup_objects() when ship has already been deleted
- Allow “return on dismantle values” without buildcost
- Fixed desyncs caused by floating point arithmetic in terrain affinity
- Reset economy serial in Game constructor. This fixes desyncs in replays.
- Stop ware dropoff when the target building has been destroyed. This fixes a crash when the enemy conquers a militarysite near a warehouse.
- Cancel Worker::fetchfromflag when the building is destroyed/dismantled/enhanced to prevent crashes
- After deleting replays, the replays table now respects the “Show Filenames” setting.
- Directory creation in the editor can now also be triggered by pressing Enter in the name edit box.
- Do not execute zooming code when maximum/minimum is reached. This prevents Widelands from seeming to freeze when the user leans on the CTRL- keys.
- Allow hotkey usage while windows are open.
- Fixed UI bugs when loading a savegame saved from a replay
- Set focus to edit box when opening the game save menu.
- Don't provide the filename for the standard background image in the progress window. This fixes image positioning when starting multiplayer games.
- Execute map changes in Multiplayer UI after the player slots have been set. This fixes a bug with updating the client dropdowns.
- Completed the switchover to the new font renderer
- Fixed mix of localized / unlocalized default player names in editor
- Fixed undefined / unexpected behavior in case LANG environment is empty
Help and Documentation
- Fixed bug where advanced buildings would report the wrong worker experience in the encyclopedia
- Fixed crash when setting new 0,0 coordinates
- Fixed occasional crash in cleanup_port_spaces while saving maps.
- Limited the editor undo stack to 500 items to prevent boundless growth of memory use
- When graphics drivers report a shading language that widelands can’t use, try to show a basic SDL error message box to the user and print the shading language to console
- Fail with SDL messagebox if SDL_BYTESPERPIXEL != 4
- Diverse fixes on the communication between widelands and the metaserver
- Fixed 2 crashes
- Fixed display of map name in LAN lobby
- Support for glbinding 3 and new Boost version
- Support for LLVM 8 compiler
- Fixed revision detection
- Copy the version file instead of moving it, so that the update script can be run twice in a row.
Operating System Dependent Changes
- Fixed CMake policies and linker flags to please various operating system version requirements
- Use MacOSX.sdk if an appropriate versioned SDK can't be found.
- Modernized how Mac OS X releases are done:
- Added tags for Flatpak to appdata.xml
1 comment Posted by GunChleoc on 2019-04-15, 11:56