Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Re-modelling Barbarian Buildings

kingcreole

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2011-08-20, 15:54

got a new atempt of the warehouse ready in ambient occolision (no colors/materials only model) okay or try harder?

live is my dancefloor as long as my lag works

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-21, 20:04

First, let me draw your attention to my latest post regarding Blender 2.5x.

Now :), your warehouse model does show promise. However, I would like to see it with textures and hear or see your plans for animating its build sequence.

I see little people.

Top Quote
kingcreole

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2011-08-23, 12:48

now i got it textured

the building sequence will look as follows: first frame: deep hole in the ground, second frame: ground inside the house made, stonewall at something like 1.5ft, third frame: walls finished, work at the roof starts, fourth frame: idle

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-23, 13:41

Well... I like the model very much, BUT for me this has nothing to do with a warehouse, sorry. It looks like a small building, not like a bigger building with a lot of space for different kind of wares and people. It looks as big as the sentry (which costs 2 blackwoods - warehouse costs 3 trunks, 2 blackwood, 2 raw stones,3 buckets of grout and thatchreed)

So please do not get me wrong, the building looks very promising and I like the style and everything, just I do not think that this would be an appropriate replacement for the current warehouse.

Top Quote
kingcreole

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2011-08-23, 14:58

I put it ingame a little bigger, i will have to shrink that door a little but i guess the size problem might be solved this way (even though the hotspot is placed terribly wrong + the correct settings for the light will have to be applied soon)

edit: pic was terribly small (got size problems today i guess)

Edited: 2011-08-23, 14:59

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-23, 15:11

I'm afraid I have to agree with Peter. I hoped that somehow the texturing would give a more massive feel to it. Don't discard the model by any means! We may very well find another use for it. I REALLY like your model and your use of materials. It just looks too small for the purpose.

I picture the warehouse as a larger building, maybe along the lines of the helmsmithy or even war factory. It could certainly have two floors, maybe with double doors on the upper story like a barn with a hay mow where lighter goods like thatch, linen and cloth could be stored. Peter also reminds us that people are housed in the warehouses, too. Perhaps it could be a combination with apartments on upper floors and storage facilities at ground level. Maybe something like this with larger second story windows and a thatch roof: old barn

I see little people.

Top Quote
kingcreole

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2011-08-23, 15:14

you mean barbarians should realy be able to build to the second level?

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-23, 15:27

@kingcreole: I just saw your latest post. It does help to scale it like that, but you are right about needing to resize the door and adjust lighting. I'm still not completely satisfied with it. Maybe if you show a more prominent use of the stone and mortar and a little less use of the blackwood in the exterior walls?
I like the cellar doors now that I can recognize them. At least that's what I think the doors at ground level on the southwestern wall are. face-smile.png
Use of a different material for the doors and wares around the outside of the building may bring a nice contrast. Good effort! And I say again don't throw anything out. We can "warehouse" it face-wink.png in the media repository until a use presents itself.

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-23, 15:32

kingcreole wrote: you mean barbarians should realy be able to build to the second level?

face-smile.png Yep! Especially if they are building in stone and grout. Look at headquarters.

I like the contrast you've added to the materials, or is it solely from the lighting?

It's definitely coming along.

I see little people.

Top Quote
kingcreole

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2011-08-23, 15:34

only the original light settings applied ^^

Top Quote