Latest Posts

Topic: "Northmen" Tribe Page

GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-11, 16:07

This is not possible at the moment - please open a bug report.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Topic Opener
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-11, 16:55

https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/1731652

Forgot to mention: In the recent revision, I also added trainers to the starting conditions (as it was done for the other tribes) and I experimented with some small changes to road and frontier images to make the frontiers not so sharp and large, and the roads less jagged on rough terrain and better visible.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-12, 15:29

Hi Nordfriese,

regarding scenario 1 I will think about some delinearization objectives. But supervising the player for shortages is at least a good starter. I am perfectly happy with the suggestion about the strategy to cope with the aggressive opponent. I'm really looking forward to test it.

Finally I manged to test scenario 2 until the end. Very nice and demanding scenario. Here are my comments:
1. the objective to defeat murilius in the "yes" branch is not set to done. so it remains after the victory.
2. I found the task to conquer all of the red land as rather boring cause it was only about build a military buzilding and wait for it to be constructed and so on for hours. In my opinion this is not a demanding task at the end so p2.defeated would be sufficient for me. If you want to emphasize on no mark left you could simply use the conquer commanf for p1.
3. I am not sure whether the handover of wares to Murilius worked properly for me it looked like as if I had all of the collected wares still in the warehouse afterwards.
4. I found it tempting to build a ship to sail into the black hole in the middle, but this wasn't possible as the map was tagged as non seafaring. I just realized this is also the case for my empire 4 scenario do you know what the change was in the game code when it was introduced and what is demanded on a map to be declared as seafaring.
5. most of the military buildings and the armour industry are available to the player without notice. perhaps you could spent some message boxes that these buildings are now available due to we can afford it now or whatever reason?
6. It is rather demanding to deliver the gold to Murilius if you don't go to the east to find some. But this is not allowed by the objective after you have made contact. Either we should guide the player to the east first or at the same time with directing him south, or we should officially allow reduced expansion and only restrict the big military buildings (Personally I do not like the hidden cheat in the lua script for this, I managed the objective by expanding to the east as well as to the south.)
7. I had a look in the script as well and in my opinion it would be sufficient to run the victory function just when the first defeat objective is set. But that is just a minor comment to spare some computing ressources.
8. In my opinion the buildings now look okay but still could use some sophisitcated graphics designer though. Only two things dont fit to well into the widelands world. the well is somewhat to technologically advanced with the iron pump lever and so. and signaling that a mine is out of ressources is done by applying a closed sign to the building (a little cross at the entrance) for all other tribes. so greying it out is not fitting into the game that good although increasing visibility if a mine is ran out.
9. Finally the scenario is really difficult and it was a great pleasure to play it so many thanks for it. I hope it will not stand forever that this is the last frisian scenario ;-). I would love to have more in any case. Btw how did you create the map as this map is fitting very well for the scenario and has its own hidden features. (ar least it is worth to cut down even the most little amount of rocks for example)?

best regards hessenfarmer

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-12, 16:49

Branch for the worker plant program is ready: https://code.launchpad.net/~widelands-dev/widelands/bug-1731652-worker-plant-attribute

I haven't proposed it for merging yet, because I already have too many merge requests up for review.

The branch also features a new help section for immovables - check out the tiny wheat field for a terrain affinity example.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-12, 19:05

Thanks face-smile.png

There are 3 types of bushes at the moment: raspberry, blueberry and currant; all with different terrain preferences, and the raspberry even has a Blender image already. I´m planning to make about 6 or 7 species of bushes in total. I´ll add blackberries, strawberries, and whatever other fruit anyone asks for!

hessenfarmer wrote:

1. the objective to defeat murilius in the "yes" branch is not set to done. so it remains after the victory.

Thanks for reporting, I´ll fix this

1. I found the task to conquer all of the red land as rather boring cause it was only about build a military buzilding and wait for it to be constructed and so on for hours. In my opinion this is not a demanding task at the end so p2.defeated would be sufficient for me. If you want to emphasize on no mark left you could simply use the conquer commanf for p1.

That´s your punishment for agreeing to those outrageous demands face-wink.png

1. I am not sure whether the handover of wares to Murilius worked properly for me it looked like as if I had all of the collected wares still in the warehouse afterwards.

I´ll investigate it…

1. I found it tempting to build a ship to sail into the black hole in the middle, but this wasn't possible as the map was tagged as non seafaring. I just realized this is also the case for my empire 4 scenario do you know what the change was in the game code when it was introduced and what is demanded on a map to be declared as seafaring.

You aren´t supposed to be able to build a ship…

Reebaud and his tribe sailed up a fjord and arrived at this place. This is why they get a port instead of a headquarters. The water is supposed to be this fjord, and as there is no going back for the tribe, I´d forbid to build a shipyard if the map was tagged as seafaring.

1. most of the military buildings and the armour industry are available to the player without notice. perhaps you could spent some message boxes that these buildings are now available due to we can afford it now or whatever reason?

OK, I´ll do this

1. It is rather demanding to deliver the gold to Murilius if you don't go to the east to find some. But this is not allowed by the objective after you have made contact. Either we should guide the player to the east first or at the same time with directing him south, or we should officially allow reduced expansion and only restrict the big military buildings (Personally I do not like the hidden cheat in the lua script for this, I managed the objective by expanding to the east as well as to the south.)

As I said – I don´t expect players to agree to his demands! So if you really want to give him so much gold, you´re supposed to use empty mines. The cheat is intended as a reward for players brave enough to test the limits of Murilius´s patience…

1. I had a look in the script as well and in my opinion it would be sufficient to run the victory function just when the first defeat objective is set. But that is just a minor comment to spare some computing ressources.

You´re right, I´ll change that

1. Finally the scenario is really difficult and it was a great pleasure to play it so many thanks for it. I hope it will not stand forever that this is the last frisian scenario ;-). I would love to have more in any case. Btw how did you create the map as this map is fitting very well for the scenario and has its own hidden features. (ar least it is worth to cut down even the most little amount of rocks for example)?

I already have an idea for a third scenario, which might provide the base for several more… But it may be some time until I script it, so for the moment, this is the last one.

I attempted to make a good map with the random generator, but I didn´t get one nice enough, so I designed it by hand. It is very functional, defined by the fjord, the barbarian valley, the mountain ranges leading there, some lines of wasteland to block expansion, and a very rugged hillside north of blue´s starting point. I then added a few details to reward players for bothering to expand to certain places, but much of the map just isn´t worth exploring. if I remember correctly, the small heaps of rocks lying everywhere are hiding nothing face-smile.png

1. In my opinion the buildings now look okay but still could use some sophisitcated graphics designer though. Only two things dont fit to well into the widelands world. the well is somewhat to technologically advanced with the iron pump lever and so. and signaling that a mine is out of ressources is done by applying a closed sign to the building (a little cross at the entrance) for all other tribes. so greying it out is not fitting into the game that good although increasing visibility if a mine is ran out.

All the buildings will certainly get some reworking. The well will be completely replaced then, and the mines will get a new empty image.

I spent some time on graphics development lately, and I can now make animations with Blender! The new fully animated flag (which is now a real flag, not just a jagged triangle) is already uploaded, and I´m currently working on the ship (the idle and sail_nw animations are complete, but not uploaded yet). I´ll move on to better buildings next…

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-12, 20:29

Ok good to here you are making progress with graphics. I hope the frisians will find their way to the game very soon.

Regarding the scenario I just rechecked with a savegame that the wares are not handed over to Murilius as expected.
If you don't expect the wares to be delivered you certainly need the gold as well to train the soldiers to a suitable level. Watching the military strength I found this the better solution. This had other advantages to. the two tribes were fighting each other and after they had weakened themselves they could be easily defeated. perhaps I will try the other way round as well.
Regarding the stones I have never seen anything face-wink.png I just thougt this could be intentional.
I fully accept your choice regarding the seafaring however I adopted your "trick" from scenario 1 to make my map a seafaring map with onbly one port.
Thanks again for the tribe and the scenarios

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-13, 08:13

I think we should absolutely have Sanddorn (Sea Buckthorn) and Mylte. I can't find Mylte at all, I must be spelling it wrong - it grows in Norway and is yellow.

Name Info
Raspberry Greenland, Winter, arable terrains
Blueberry Winter, Wasteland, mountains, barren terrains
Blackcurrant, Redcurrant Damp, fertile soils, temperate climate
Strawberry Moist, temperate climate
Sea Buckthorn Greenland, Winter, on hills and hillsides, valleys, riverbeds, along coastal regions, on islands, in small isolated or continuous pure stands, but also in mixed stands with other shrub and tree species

Some berries that grow in desert climate: http://www.gardenguides.com/100500-desert-berry-plants.html

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-13, 15:29

Good suggestions, I added the strawberry, both types of currant (had only one before), the Sea Buckthorn and Desert Hackberries. There are seven species of berries in total now. By the way, your new wheat field has a terrain affinity that is shown in the in-game help, but it doesn´t affect the actual growth!

The programs for the berries have to look like this:

"animate=idle 28000",
"remove=70",
"grow=berry_bush_currant_red_medium"

I think the remove=70 means "remove with a chance of 70% multiplied with this plant´s dislike of its terrain"? At least, the tree programs look like this… There is no documentation for immovable programs yet…

The newest upload contains not only the new berries, but also the ship images for idle, sail_nw and sail_se.

2nd scenario

If you don't expect the wares to be delivered you certainly need the gold as well to train the soldiers to a suitable level.

I´ll add some gold to the little mountain just south of the headquarters, I think it´ll be fine then?

Watching the military strength I found this the better solution. This had other advantages to. the two tribes were fighting each other and after they had weakened themselves they could be easily defeated.

That is not how I intended this scenario to be played. Murilius wants you to fight while he sits idly by until the barbarians are weakened so he can deal the last blow and get all the glory. That´s why I wanted to script a temporary attack ban between players…

the objective to defeat murilius in the "yes" branch is not set to done. so it remains after the victory.

I couldn´t reproduce this…

Regarding the scenario I just rechecked with a savegame that the wares are not handed over to Murilius as expected.

I think there is a bug: I use this code

local wh = p1:get_buildings ("frisians_warehouse_empire") [1]
for name,nb in ipairs (wh:get_wares ("all")) do
   if p2.tribe:has_ware (name) then 
      wh:set_wares (name, 0)
      hq:set_wares (name, hq:get_wares (name) + nb)
   end
end

According to the documentation, wh:get_wares ("all") should return a table like {log=100,granite=50,brick=0, …} but actually it seems to return an empty table {}. I´m not sure if I´m doing something wrong here or this is a bug.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-13, 17:31

Nordfriese wrote:

By the way, your new wheat field has a terrain affinity that is shown in the in-game help, but it doesn´t affect the actual growth!

The programs for the berries have to look like this: ~~~~ "animate=idle 28000", "remove=70", "grow=berry_bush_currant_red_medium" ~~~~ I think the remove=70 means "remove with a chance of 70% multiplied with this plant´s dislike of its terrain"? At least, the tree programs look like this… There is no documentation for immovable programs yet…

I only added the terrain affinity for the wheat field to test the in-game help. So, definitely "steal" from the trees here!

I think we should also consolidate the file structure to have all versions of an immovable in one init file with subdirectories, just like for the trees.

I definitely need to continue with the documentation, critter programs are missing as well. Then I'd like to unify the syntax: some programs have = in them and some just blank spaces, and we have multiple parsers implemented in the code - not good.

Since we're on the subject, which style do you and Hessenfarmer find easier to read?

"animate=idle 500000",

or

"animation planting 4000",

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-13, 19:30

Nordfriese wrote:

2nd scenario

If you don't expect the wares to be delivered you certainly need the gold as well to train the soldiers to a suitable level.

I´ll add some gold to the little mountain just south of the headquarters, I think it´ll be fine then?

That could work. But I wouldn't insist on this change. For me it was fine to go to the east.

If you wouldn't mind you could give the player a hint regarding the possible cheat on Murilius. Perhaps the old advisor might give a tip that it would be worth a try to dismantle military buildings to build new ones to just keep the number equal to when the ban on expansion was laid out. Alternatively Murilius could be more specific in his words just saying he is prohibiting to build more military buildings which could lead the player to try the cheat. Otherwise you could only imagine about this strategy if you look into the code. With such a change it would be not necessary at all to change the map. But again your scenario means it is your decision. I am just suggesting.

the objective to defeat murilius in the "yes" branch is not set to done. so it remains after the victory.

I couldn´t reproduce this…

just checked the savegame after I finally conquered all the land. the objective is still in the objectives window. Although the last victory message was triggered correctly. for what I found in the code this is the correct behaviour tried to mark th issue in the following cited code

if not p2.defeated then
campaign_message_box (defeat_murilius_1)
campaign_message_box (defeat_murilius_2)
p2.team = 2
add_campaign_objective (obj_defeat_murilius) -- here no variable is set for the objective
while get_land (p2) > 0 do sleep (7777) end
end
-- in this line the setobjective_done is missing done_fight = true

regards hessenfarmer

Top Quote