Latest Posts

Topic: many ideas

ixprefect

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2013-03-05, 13:22

Perhaps you could open a bug report/wishlist item for these, particularly for the crash when opening network games? They all seem reasonable to me - though the buildhelp icons are obviously a matter of opinion, and I recall that there have already been very long discussions about them. I don't think people will return to the dots, and making it an option is a big no-no. (Though you are obviously free to replace the images in your local installation - they're just .pngs, after all).

Edit: Also, please just open a new thread next time instead of resurrecting an old thread like that.

Edited: 2013-03-05, 13:43

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2013-03-05, 18:15

hi,

concerning the "start during savegame transfer problem" - that one is already fixed in current development version. face-smile.png And concering the automatic placing of players: this could be quite easily implemented for players who connect to an open game in which a saved game is set up. However that would be the only place such a feature would be nice, as players that are already connected should not be forced to change their positions everytime a new saved game is selected.

... just my 2 ¢ face-smile.png

Top Quote
teppo

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2013-03-05, 19:02

ixquick, Why a no-no? I understand that the current build help are more impressive and intuitive for a beginner, but the dots are more handy later on, and many people do not have the mindset of changing games themselves. Playable GPL games are rare.

Replacing the png's is nowadays very easy. I remember reading discussion about a "turbo-load" or whatever, where one of the suggested methods to speed up load time was packing the images into a large collection. That would be a pity from my point of view, as I already have some custom graphics in use. Are there still such plans?

Nasenbaer, thanks for the comments. The automatic placement would be nice when a network game is player in many small time chunks. Hardly mainstream.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2013-03-05, 20:30

option are a no-no because they introduce rarely executed code paths which might contain bugs that we rarely see and which are therefore hard to fix. What I mean is that we do not have the man power to support many options in the code.

And yes, we have plans to pack graphics for quicker loading - in fact this is already implemented and I will propose it for merging soonish. I am sorry that we destroy a user story for you here, but the common good is a higher value here face-smile.png

Top Quote
teppo

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2013-03-08, 06:57

What I had in mind is that the tooltips button/key would rotate between off-buildings-dots-off, instead of toggling between buildings and no buildings. Ideally that should not introduce rarely-executed code branches.

SirVer: Do you have an URL to this turboload thing? Did you use a pre-existing container or make your own? (read: Are there already tools to manipulate the archive or not?)

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2013-03-09, 19:36

teppo: here you go: https://code.launchpad.net/~widelands-dev/widelands/spritemaps. A final 'compressed' image is for example here: http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~widelands-dev/widelands/spritemaps/download/head:/headquarters.png-20130224191117-ligjp9091cm5dqp1-1/headquarters.png.

Edited: 2013-03-09, 19:36

Top Quote