Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Unexpected crash

Erti

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-01-19, 03:38

Hi, i m under windows seven and i got some unexpected crash sometimes. The game just quit with no error message.

Am i the only one ? Can I do something ?

by the way i just re-install my windows and i just installed elementary software (winrar, vlc ...)

Top Quote
kingcreole

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2011-01-19, 08:06

when does that crash happen? does it hapen at the same time over and over again? i´m not too good at scripting etc. but since i use blender 2.5x a lot i know how to solve crashing problems ^^ maybe you could use the console (comand: "cmd") and start widelands from there (type "widelands" into the console and hit enter i guess) once widelands crashes you can see why it crashed in your console, if you don´t understand what that stuf in your console means, post it here i guess...

live is my dancefloor as long as my lag works

Top Quote
Erti

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-01-19, 16:24

The crashes are totally randomed. So I put the autosave every 1mn and I just have to continue.

I ll try the cmd thing, thanks for the advice. I ll keep you in touch.

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-01-19, 17:25

Hi Erti,

there are two different versions of Widelands Build 15 - best try, the other one (the one you did NOT download the last time face-smile.png ) - if that one has the same error, try the most recent development version from http://widelands.8-schuss.de .

Kingcreole's idea is generally right, but unfortunally does not work with Widelands on Windows. Instead Widelands writes log files (that get overwritten every time Widelands is restarted - so if an error occurs, please check them before you restart Widelands face-smile.png ).

The files are named "stderr.txt" and "stdout.txt" and can either be found in the directory you installed Widelands to or in c:\users\<yourusername>\.widelands or in c:\users\<yourusername>\Virtual Directory (or similiar)\Roaming\Widelands - sorry that I am that much unprecise, but I did not use Windows for quite some time and just can't remember, where those files can be found.

Hope I was able to help face-smile.png

Cheers

Nasenbaer

Edited: 2011-01-19, 17:27

Top Quote
Erti

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-01-19, 19:58

Well,

I tried Kingcreole's idea and nothing happened when the game crashed (i mean nothing was written in the console). Then I tried to play without sound and my instinct was right. Since I played with no sound, I had no crash at all.

But I think it s not a corrupted soundtrack because everytime the musics were different and the ambient sounds should be good because i can restart the saved game after a crash.

So it might be a problem between my sound device and the game where they are not agree about the memory used or something like that.

The only thing weird is I got no error message (even no message at all T_T).

Anyway, my version is this one : widelands-build15-win32-gcc.exe, should I try the last one : Widelands-bzr5800-nomusic-win32.exe ? But obviously my problem will be solved if the last one has no music ^^. And I found stdout.txt but what should I do with this ? I can't post it here, the file is kind of big ^^

Edited: 2011-01-19, 20:08

Top Quote
jarih

Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2011-01-19, 20:48

Hi!

This reminded me about a recent crash under visual studio debugger. Exception message complained about division by zero and call stack pointed to Mix_FadeOutMusic. This happened while widelands was changing music in response to SDL_USEREVENT CHANGE_MUSIC. So this would indicate that problem is related to changing background music, not sound effects.

Cheers, Jari

Top Quote
Erti

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-01-19, 21:31

Yeah I ll check if it's when the music change.

EDIT : can someadmin delete this message ^^

Edited: 2011-01-20, 02:50

Top Quote
Erti

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-01-20, 02:49

Well, it doesn't happen at the end of the musics. And for the first time i had a crash during the loading screen.

I think I will just give up and play with no soundtracks ^^

Top Quote
jarih

Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2011-01-21, 17:56

Erti, thanks for testing the music change case. I'll make some more tests with music and see if I can get more information.

Top Quote
mmm

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-12-31, 18:44

I have the same problem with Windows XP. If I have music enabled, it crashes "all the time". Also when starting the game (which is, BTW, very slow). My (onboard)sound card is: Realtek High Definition Audio. I can't find a number/exact type (might have to open up the computer to find out).

Top Quote