Already 10 months have past since our last release - Widelands Build 17.
Time for a new release?
Well, not yet. Anyways our current development version holds quite a lot of improvements and new features. So what has been changed since the release of Build 17? Here comes the list:
- We added a mouse hover text for the costs of the buildings. The same feature was added for the resources that can be gained through dismantling a building.
- We added a button to productionsites, which finally gives the ability to evict workers - want to kick a master miner out of one of your mines? Here you go!
- We improved the start up time of Widelands games through "on demand" loading of graphics - in Build17 starting a game might take some minutes under some circumstances. The same circumstances will lead to just a few seconds of loading time in our current develpment version.
- We improved Widelands' rich text rendering engine (the part of the program that takes care about text formating) a lot and improved all kind of text in different places of the game to look more appealing. E.g. the productivity of buildings is now coloured to ease the analysis of the economy's state.
- We improved the OpenGL rendering which leads to a huge speed up of Widelands.
- We added a new win condition "Territorial time". It is similar to the "Territorial lord" win condition, but is limited to an in game time of 4 hours - if no one is able to gain half of the maps teritory in 4 hours, the player with the biggest terrain after 4 hours will win.
- We improved the old stock charts in the statistics menu and added some new ones.
- We improved many existing graphics and animations everywhere around the game.
- We improved the graphics used in the road building mode to indicate the steepness of the terrain.
- We improved the multiplayer scenario "Smugglers".
- As decided in the community poll, we changed the Empire Inn to be backward compatible.
- We added some new game tips to introduce some "nice to know" features to our players.
- We added support for a "message of the day" to Widelands and the Widelands' dedicated server - if you logged into the lobby in the last months, you most likely have already read the motd.
- We improved Widelands' translations and added some new ones.
- We fixed quite a bunch of memory leaks - which basically means, that Widelands uses less RAM now.
- And we fixed many more or less nasty bugs.
For a more detailed list of changes, take a look at our Changelog
Has your "favourite" bug already been fixed? What about the feature you wish the most to be implemented? Let us know and of course feel cordially welcome to join our team .