Latest Posts

Topic: New experimental tribe: Europeans

MarkMcWire
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2023-08-25, 08:04

The following change in version 3.8.x:

Removal of Medium Farm - Production of Reed and Grape will be taken over from the large farms. This saves building sites, since the Europeans already have many buildings.

Removed all workers without a special program and replaced with a general worker. This applies to: breeders, bakers, millers, brewers, shoemakers, tailors, weavers, carpenters, charcoal burners, stonemasons and smiths. This saves game time and makes it possible to deploy workers more flexibly in different buildings. The starting conditions can thus also be simplified.

My widelands addons: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jopANlODo41T2reHJ0zaCOMYxq_rxXP-/view?usp=sharing

Top Quote
the-x
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2023-08-25, 16:28

Is this version playable, do we want to try it in a multiplayer game (2 players or more?)

Top Quote
MarkMcWire
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2023-08-25, 16:37

This version is not yet online, because of the 3-day limit when uploading the addons. I won't be able to provide the current version until tomorrow.

My widelands addons: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jopANlODo41T2reHJ0zaCOMYxq_rxXP-/view?usp=sharing

Top Quote
MarkMcWire
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2023-09-16, 17:44

New BIG change: I split the addon in half. Once the basic tribe with a basic economy.

This includes wood processing, reed processing (into cloth and subsequently into boots and armor), stone processing (into grouth and bricks) and metal processing (into tools and weapons). The small farms only produce reed, fruit and grapes. The latter two are traded for coins on the large market. The small market now accepts cloth as ware instead of food. The shoemaker only needs cloth and wood; leather has been removed.

The new tribe is optimized for an efficient economy and faster expansion so simpler economy.

But so that none of you miss the economic complexity, I made another add-on to go with the add-on. When it is activated, all buildings, workers and ware that existed before are activated again.

There are large farms that produce grain and corn, there are animal farms that produce meat, wool and leather, there are mills, bakeries and breweries. The shoemaker uses the leather from the animal farm as additional input ware and the two markets trade bread, beer, meat and other food for coins .

So there is something for every taste. Someone who plays fast expansion and conquest will use the stripped down version. Someone who likes complex economics and micro-management will be able to use the more complex version.

Edited: 2023-09-16, 17:45

Top Quote
MarkMcWire
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2024-02-28, 14:13

I've replaced with 4.2.x the "claydigger" with "gardener" and "claydiggers_house" with "farm_small". I thought it was a waste to have a upgradable building type ("clay pit") only for a single ware ("clay") that only has a very limited purpose.

So in the Europeans tribe, there is no longer a claydigger. The new small farm produces reed and cotton and as a byproduct clay (from making holes for planting). As a result, the “medium_farm” and “europeans_farmer” are still available in the Europeans tribe food economy addon, but are no longer available in the basic addon.

The rubber is now produced by normal and advanced lumberjack alongside with log. This change is for programming reasons, as the game's AI cannot handle multiple building types being able to plant trees or other immovables with parameter "tree" in the definition. The “medium farm” may also lead to AI crashes, because it can plant rubber trees for rubber production. I haven't tested the food economy addon extensively.

Edited: 2024-02-28, 14:15

Top Quote
dreieck
Version: -git
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2024-02-28, 14:22

MarkMcWire wrote:

This change is for programming reasons, as the game's AI cannot handle multiple building types being able to plant trees or other immovables with parameter "tree" in the definition.

Wouldn't this call for a feature request for Widelands?

The “medium farm” may also lead to AI crashes, because it can plant rubber trees for rubber production. I haven't tested the food economy addon extensively.

Widelands should not crash by plugins. If it does, that is a bug that should be reported.

Regards!

(empty signature.)

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2024-02-28, 19:28

I agree about the crash. we should not crash from the ai.
But we can not ensure that the AI is able to handle every possible permutation of the tribes multiple options to define buildings.
By this we check the tribes in the official game for compliance with the AI. If some new feature is deemed really necessary for a tribes character, then we might add some code tom the AI. But we can't do this for Plugins.
The AI can handle multiple buildings planting trees as can be seen in the amazons, however it is not designed to handle buildings properly, that produce multiple different things (in the example clay, reed, and trees and probably more)

Top Quote
MarkMcWire
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2024-03-14, 07:33

In the current version (4.2.6) I have removed the recruitment centers from the tribe. Due to the slow training of the workers, the tribe is at a significant disadvantage compared to the others.

Top Quote
MarkMcWire
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2024-04-19, 13:03

New Version -> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jopANlODo41T2reHJ0zaCOMYxq_rxXP-/view?usp=drive_link

For some reason the addon can no longer be uploaded within the game and an error message always appears.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2024-04-19, 15:41

MarkMcWire wrote:

For some reason the addon can no longer be uploaded within the game and an error message always appears.

What is the error message? The server log only indicates that your Widelands client closed the connection mid-upload.

Top Quote