Latest Posts

Topic: Tabs or Spaces

stonerl
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2018-08-19, 21:44

Looking through the files I noticed that the lua files use 3 spaces for indentation, while the c++ part uses a 3 spaced tab. But some files use a mix of tabs and spaces; launch_mpg.cc for example.

The Contribute Site references the Google Style Code, but there it says no tabs only 2 spaces...

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-08-20, 09:52

SirVer and I didn't really agree on this - I prefer tabs, he prefers spaces. SO, there was never any consensus.

Lua should definitely use spaces now, because we have a script for fixing the indentation that depends on it.

I'm surprised that clang-format doesn't unify matters for C++ though - we run it on every merge to trunk.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
stonerl
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2019-05-09, 15:15

Could we agree on tabs for all c++ and spaces for lua files? Lua files are all spaced, while c++ files are predominantly tabbed and especially hard to work with since some of them have spaces and tabs mixed all over the place.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-05-09, 16:11

I recently saw that spaces in C++ were often used if codelines had to be continued in the next line due to longer than our max line length. I sometimes had the impression that these were formatted this way by a script but I don't know for sure.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-05-10, 08:37

Bunnybot uses clang-format when merging to master, and also runs a script that SirVer wrote to fix the indentation in Lua. clang-format is set to use tabs, Lua is formatted with spaces. So, this is already being done as you suggest.

clang-format is controlled by a .clang-format file in our repository. The tricky bit is that it will still produce different results on different machines, so we let only bunnybot run it.

I'm against doing a whole-sale reformatting right now, because we have a lot of branches open.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote