Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Couple of suggestions

GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-10, 19:46

I actually started experimenting with configurable hotkeys once, but then abandoned it for more pressing matters: https://code.launchpad.net/~widelands-dev/widelands/configurable_hotkeys

If anybody want to pick up the branch, be my guest - contact me first though so I can merge in trunk, which will be non-trivial.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
fuchur

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2017-11-11, 14:37

Hello luitzen,

you have some interesting ideas, but for now I want to comment on just a few while others are answered already.

luitzen wrote: - Get rid of the requirement to press the right mouse button when moving the screen. This one is very annoying. I cannot come up with a good reason that I also need to right click when moving around the screen, just moving the mouse to the edge of the screen should be enough.

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly. Is your suggestion that the scenery moves with a configurable speed if the mouse is a few pixels near the edge of the screen?

Well, if someone wants to implement this make an option to disable it! It would lead to accidental scrolling which I'd feel more annoying than using the right mouse button.

• The minimap is too small and annoying in its use.

I think some releases ago it was larger but got reduced, maybe that was the time when larger maps were available.

• Dock more information. Currently there's too much information hidden behind buttons. We're not playing on 800x600 anymore and some of the extra space can be used to permanently store some information. Currently I play with the stock page always on in the top left of the screen on the Wares in Warehouses page. This one and the minimap should always be visible.

Of course nowadays large screens are very common, but not everyone has them. Currently I'm sitting at 1440x900. And widelands can be played in windowed mode. So even as it is often better to have several information windows, sometimes it would be inconvenient.

A question to the developers: would it be possible to save the state of the information windows and restore them in the next session? I don't suggest to include this in the savegame but only in the config file.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-11, 15:11

hessenfarmer wrote:

• changing defaults for the in game helps or even better include this in the above game options.

good idea

fuchur wrote:

luitzen wrote: - Get rid of the requirement to press the right mouse button when moving the screen. This one is very annoying. I cannot come up with a good reason that I also need to right click when moving around the screen, just moving the mouse to the edge of the screen should be enough.

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly. Is your suggestion that the scenery moves with a configurable speed if the mouse is a few pixels near the edge of the screen?

Well, if someone wants to implement this make an option to disable it! It would lead to accidental scrolling which I'd feel more annoying than using the right mouse button.

+1 !

Edit:

I think that it's easy to know when you are in the road building mode and when you are not. So I think that a special cursor is not really needed...

Edited: 2017-11-11, 17:00

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-12, 14:29

WorldSavior wrote:

Edit:

I think that it's easy to know when you are in the road building mode and when you are not. So I think that a special cursor is not really needed...

It happens to me still frequently and more often in scenarios. Mostly it happens this way, I started the road building a campaign message comes up demanding me to do something. I go there and click anywhere so the road is built over a long distance sometimes. SO I would really prefer a visual reminder to correct my own stupidity. face-wink.png

regards hessnfarmer

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-12, 15:56

Changing the mouse cursor is really easy and I have already implemented it in a branch. Corresponding bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/1731523

I think that the graphics still need a bit of TLC though.

fuchur wrote:

A question to the developers: would it be possible to save the state of the information windows and restore them in the next session? I don't suggest to include this in the savegame but only in the config file.

We already have open bug for this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/979952

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-12, 16:33

Okay... When I was a beginner in the game I also builded accidently some streets when I didn't want it... So this mouse cursor is probably not bad face-wink.png

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
luitzen
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-11-12, 21:25

We already have open bug for this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/979952

I opened that one. I'm not really good with graphic design, but I thought it was a good first try and could always be adjusted.

Basically you could implement it immediately and keep using the old cursor and if somebody comes with a better graphic you replace it.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-13, 08:17

I think we need better icons for the filed action as well - at the moment, it's just a scaled-down photo. Whoever works on this might find an icon that works both as a button and as a cursor.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Speter
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-11-25, 08:00

G'Day Folks face-smile.png

Firstly I'd like to thank the dev's for their wonderful work!! Settlers 2 was my favourite game 20 years ago; and Widelands is an excellent game! FYI, I run the game at 1920x1080 (on a large monitor).

I have a couple of suggestions...

1) Allow (or default to) saving the 'workspace' - the open 'windows' and their locations. So that when you start a new game the windows you 'normally' use are automatically displayed (where you normally have them).
2) Implement 'canoes'; perhaps as 'bridges' instead of canoes though...
3) Consider adding Gold production to the 'trackable' stats.
4) Allow attacking with the best (and healthiest) troops - this was mentioned in another post I read.
5) Place pop-up windows better - maybe have a dedicated fixed panel instead of pop-ups.

I also have some suggestions for the Editor - please let me know if I should post these elsewhere.

1) #1 above face-smile.png
2) Add the ability to 'hide' content, for example make all the water (or trees) invisible. Both water and trees tend to hide the sheep! face-smile.png Maybe change the icons on the mini-map to control this...
3) Implement copy / paste of [rectangular] areas - including 'paste special' (with rotation &/or reflection).

(Edited to add new-lines)

Edited: 2017-11-25, 08:33

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-25, 09:41

Welcome to the forum!

Game

1. We already have an open bug for this
  2. Has also been suggested before, but I don't remember if we reached any consensus on what exactly we want it to be like.
  3. I'm not sure about this. People will ask for weapons next, then maybe also other resources... much better to let spectators open a ware statistics window for each player.
  4. I remember that this was discussed much and that somebody implemented a change, but there is certainly still room for improvement. It's not trivial though.
  5. We could certainly rethink the default locations for some windows. Permanent panels take up too much screen space though for people who play at 800x600.

Editor

1. See above
  2. already implemented in the current development version
  3. Yes, and in chat as well, and for error messages.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote