Speter
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-11-26, 23:05

GunChleoc wrote:

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks face-smile.png

Game

1. Has also been suggested before, but I don't remember if we reached any consensus on what exactly we want it to be like.

I mentioned the idea of using 'bridges' (to replace canoes) because I thought it had lots of game-play options (and they could look cool) - you could use different materials (depending on the tribe) and maybe even have the bridge-builder gain experience, so that they could eventually create bridges 3 units long or even 4 units long (probably using steel instead of timber/stone).

I also remember thinking it odd (in Settlers 2) that canoes had to be made in the shipyard.

1. We could certainly rethink the default locations for some windows. Permanent panels take up too much screen space though for people who play at 800x600.

I'm surprised people would play at such a low res!

I certainly found it hard to distinguish between experienced & rookie soldiers at first - when running the game at a higher res - but I'm now much better at that. face-wink.png

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-27, 07:46

Speter wrote:

1. Has also been suggested before, but I don't remember if we reached any consensus on what exactly we want it to be like.

I mentioned the idea of using 'bridges' (to replace canoes) because I thought it had lots of game-play options (and they could look cool) - you could use different materials (depending on the tribe) and maybe even have the bridge-builder gain experience, so that they could eventually create bridges 3 units long or even 4 units long (probably using steel instead of timber/stone).

Here is the thread about rivers and bridges. Unfortunately some example images are lost in that thread...

One of my attempts:

footbridge

Implementing such has some difficulties:

• Needed graphics
  • Needed different graphics of normal and busy roads as bridges
  • Ships should be considered. A ship can't cross those bridges so a ships route get maybe useless. Or those bridges must be very big so a ship can cross it beneath.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-27, 08:35

Speter wrote:

1. We could certainly rethink the default locations for some windows. Permanent panels take up too much screen space though for people who play at 800x600.

Well, it gets somewhat bigger when I enter fullscreen mode - but not by much.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Speter
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-11-27, 09:25

kaputtnik wrote:

Here is the thread about rivers and bridges. Unfortunately some example images are lost in that thread...

Thanks for posting that! A most interesting thread.

One of my attempts:

footbridge

This looks great! One issue I saw was that the shallow water appeared to be navigable - you could build roads there.
One of the important factors with canoes in Settlers 2 (imho) was that the player had to make a road to both sides before being able to deploy a canoe.
If 'shallow water' could have that restriction it'd be a good solution (I think).

• Ships should be considered. A ship can't cross those bridges so a ships route get maybe useless. Or those bridges must be very big so a ship can cross it beneath.

I agree ships are a problem. Someone mentioned in the thread you posted that bridges could be used to deliberately block enemy ships (which would be bad).
At present, how narrow does a 'river' have to be before ships can't navigate it? 3 tiles? So long as the bridges (or whatever) can only be that width they would not block ships...

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-27, 11:53

Speter wrote:

4) Allow attacking with the best (and healthiest) troops - this was mentioned in another post I read.

GunChleoc wrote:

4) I remember that this was discussed much and that somebody implemented a change, but there is certainly still room for improvement. It's not trivial though.

This could also have some disadvantages. It could also mean that one would have less control over the decision which soldiers attack. I think it could be annoying if only the best troops attack in some situations.

What about implementing the possibility to choose exactly which soldiers attack?

Speter wrote:

At present, how narrow does a 'river' have to be before ships can't navigate it? 3 tiles? So long as the bridges (or whatever) can only be that width they would not block ships...

The minimal broadness for ship movement is not 3 but 2. By the way, such a river cannot be crossed by a street, but a "river" with the broadness 1 can.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
Speter
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-12-03, 09:19

Speter wrote:
4) Allow attacking with the best (and healthiest) troops - this was mentioned in another post I read.

WorldSavior wrote:
What about implementing the possibility to choose exactly which soldiers attack?

I can see that it could be a real problem if all your "good" soldiers charge off to attack and the enemy chooses that moment to attack your building with few (crappy or unheathy) soldiers. face-wink.png

Choosing the soldiers who take part in an attack would be good, though time consuming!

On a related topic, it would be nice to be able to send particular soldiers off to train up.

Also, It'd be great if warehouses / headquarters etc had a military "tab" (like military buildings). It would probably need to be a scrollable display (to accommodate the number of soldiers that might be in a warehouse). It might allow the player to "move" particular soldiers around - instead of having to move all the soldiers for example.

Speter wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:
The minimal broadness for ship movement is not 3 but 2.

I'd love to see bridges! So long as the player must already have a road to both sides of the water.

In addition, having shallow water (like kaputtnik suggested) available in the map editor would be great. That would allow the map designer to choose to make a bit of water non-navigable to ships but allow a player to build a road along it.

One question would be is shallow water like land - that is you can simply build a "road" across it; or like a "bridge" where the player must already be able to build a road to both sides before they can build a bridge.

Top Quote
Ex-Member
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2017-12-03, 09:32

It would also be nice if you could cancel an attack order. I have lost track of the number of times I have been checking what attack strength I have against enemy building only to click attack by mistake before my wounded guys are healed.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-12-03, 10:57

We would think hard on allowing to cancel attacks, because it would have a big impact on strategy.

As to a soldiers tab in warehouses, that's a long-standing wishlist item.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
teppo

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2017-12-03, 11:24

Speter wrote:

I can see that it could be a real problem if all your "good" soldiers charge off to attack and the enemy chooses that moment to attack your building with few (crappy or unheathy) soldiers. ;)

Sometimes, when one military sites is attacked, the soldiers of others rush too eagerly to help. This can lead to one single untrained poor guy to guard the other post. Enemy can take advantage of that.

In my opinion, the sites should send a smaller fraction of their force to the field, and keep more people indoors.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-12-03, 15:55

And then the enemy can take advantage of that you're not fully defending the first attacked site and take that one instead. Evenly distributing the soldiers to attacked sites would be better, or having the return to their home site if it is attacked - but that can also be exploited by the enemy who then sends 1 rookie to each of your other sites to draw off your soldiers.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote