Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: The tribe atlanteans : is this tribe good equilibrated?

raistware

Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2009-12-12, 17:16

I was playing around with the atlanteans and I found that that tribe needs lots of wood in order to evolve, the needed of lot of wood also implies lots of space to plant trees.

That is caused because every building needs trunk, and also need planks. That is like every other tribes, but the unequilibration point is that for create smoked fish and smoked meat they also need lots of trunk. If you want to mantain a good income of food to evolve soldiers and feed the miners, then you need very great amount of woodcutters and foresters. Anymore thinks that this tribe is not well equilibrated?

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2009-12-12, 17:40

I already thought of the "smokery point" and that will surely be changed in future - but well there are quite a lot small things I want to improve for the tribes in future, so this will be something I perhaps will do in WiHack 2010... Let's see.

Top Quote
Spiceskull

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-12-17, 20:13

You could always hack your config files so that lumberjack huts, tree planters and sawmills work faster by say 25%. See if that gives your game a better balance.

Top Quote
QCS

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2009-12-29, 22:32

Another opinion on that topic, having played the Atlanteans in r14 on a couple of maps.

1. Yes, there's a constant shortage of lumber for that tribe. On the other hand, in my eyes that's the "drawback" of that tribe. Others have other drawbacks, let's say axes :-) I've not yet tested it against the wallclock, but I'm feeling that the lumberjacks are a little slower that with the Barbarians and Imperials, and the foresters are way slower that with the Barbarians and Imperials. I could have 2 Barbarian and Imperial Lumberjacks for one Forester, but only 1 Atlantean Lumberjack for one Forester.

2. Meat is a constant problem of the Atlanteans on certain maps, where there's just not enough forests for the hunters. There is no gamekeeper hut, and no "pig farm" or similar for the Atlanteans... resulting in a really large fishing industry. But maybe that's intentional, they even have fish breeders...

CMake is evil.

Top Quote
raistware

Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2010-01-04, 09:56

The fishing industry I think is completly intentional and needed to be tribe-consistent. I think that giving a gamekeeper to atlanteans is not a good idea. Or if you give it to him at least make it work 100% slower that empire and barbarian. For me, the drawback for atlanteans should be inhability to create animals at good rate, his main meal should be fish and meat should be rare.

In my games, if I have only one forester and one lumberjack, all my building slows a lot, miners do not have meal, and toolsmith do not have planks to make tools. Also, if I only have 2 lumberjacks and foresters with empire or barbarian I have nearly the same situation: very shortage of wood. With empire and barbarian I have at least 3 lumberjacks and foresters, with this amount I can evolve fast, but even with this at some times I can suffer shortage. And I want a coalburner a I need at least one more lumberjack and forester, but that is not a problem. With Atlantean is very worse, I need at least 5 or 6 foresters and woodcutters to be able to evolve as fast as other tribes, plus the ones that supplies the charcoalburner. And I also need free fields for planting trees, that is a very hard drawback. May be the solution could be create a new ware 'hot coal' or 'ember', created at charcoal burner or at new building (one wood->2 ember or similar) and that smokery consumes ember instead of wood. At least this lower the requeriments of wood by half at smokery.

Edited: 2010-01-04, 09:56

Top Quote
QCS

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-01-04, 10:19

Two trunks -> one planks + three portions of "wood smoking chips", made in the sawmill, sounds natural and "smoking chips" made from raw wood are completely normal in our world face-smile.png

CMake is evil.

Top Quote
whytrytofly

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2013-01-14, 10:25

i totally agree to the wood argument! s an ampire or barbarian you get along with 3 or 4 foresters+lumberjacks, then go for big economy with farms...but as atlantian you need much more space to get that big economy and even if you dont need that many different economy buildings, no wine, no big brewery, its still a disadvantage. maybe there are some other advantages, that we dont see, but as i checked the military power, this looks quite equal, small advantage of atlantians of being able to teach defense...

Top Quote
whytrytofly

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2013-01-14, 10:27

i think needing only 1 wood for the production of planks would be a simple and balanced solution!

Top Quote
whytrytofly

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2013-01-14, 12:19

hm well, tried it out again and i think the atlantians have the best soldiers, i think faster jumberjack would level everything!

Top Quote
whytrytofly

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2013-01-14, 19:36

well meanwhile i think the tribes are balanced quite well, sorry for that...im quite new to the game! they just work different than the other two, but knowing the weaknesses, its a really strong tribe! maybe my new faavorite...

Top Quote