Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Call for Testing: One Tribe

GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-10-18, 21:53

After 1 year, 1 month, 1 week and 1 day (I kid you not), the One Tribe branch is finally ready for testing face-smile.png

This is a big engine change to allow the implementation of trading in the future, and it changes the tribes' configuration from conf files to Lua files as well. Since the change is big, it would be good to get some more testing on it before it goes in. Also, there are some changes that you can give me feedback on. Here's what to expect:

1. The tribes now load faster than before
  2. Translations for tribe entities (buildings, workers etc) are broken for now, because I have shifted things around. I will reinstate them when I merge this branch into the main development version.
  3. Some tribe entities have been renamed, as discussed on the forums - you can find a table in the Wiki. If you wish to veto any of these changes, please do so as soon as possible - once this change goes though, I will consider the terminology to be set in stone.
  4. We can now freely reorder buildings in the building window. So, I have rearranged them a bit in a ways that I deem more logical. If you think a different order is better, please say so - we can change this very easily. If you wish to play around with it, the configuration is in tribes/atlanteans.lua etc.
  5. Savegame compatibility is broken. You will be able to load old maps, but no older games.

Issued to investigate/fix

• None at this time
Edited: 2015-10-25, 17:33

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
DragonAtma
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-10-19, 00:21

"Axfactory" should be "Ax Factory" or "Axe Factory" (depending on whether we use 'Ax" or "Axe"; I still think "Axe" is more common these days, but both are fully usable). Alternately, you could go with "Ax Smithy" or "Weapon Smithy", seeing as factories didn't really exist until the 1700s (and would not beco0me widespread for another century).

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-10-19, 07:35

I would agree with changing it to "Ax Factory" - I could automate this, so there would be no additional work for translators here.

I like the "Ax" part, because it is a specifically Barbarian weapon, and it distinguished the building from the other tribes' weapon smithies. I don't mind the "factory" part to much - it literally means a place where things are made.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
DragonAtma
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-10-19, 11:44

Things are indeed made in factories, but (at least these days) they're a lot larger than any Widelands building. Historically, smithies would employ one smith, maybe an apprentice or two, and maybe a servant or two -- just like these buildings. Modern factories, meanwhile, often employ hundreds or more.

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-10-19, 12:05

What about "workshop"? "Ax workshop"? Maybe it is not the correct term...

I can't remember now where artisans (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artisan#Medieval_artisans) were working. What is the name for their workplaces?

Also I was investigating "manufactures", but they appeared in XIII century... face-confused.png

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-10-19, 12:12

I think barracks is more intuitive than blockhouse, if nothing else because buildings named "barracks" are ubiquitous in all strategy games, but I never heard of "blockhouses" before.

I also don't like the substitution of plate armor with gilded armor; plate seems a good sturdy armmor for combat, gilded armor is the kind of embellished armor that you bring to a parade but you'd never really wear for use.

And I never heard strong beer named "stout"

All the other changes, I like.

By the way, the list names all those changes as belonging to empire even if several of those wares are specific to other tribes.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-10-19, 12:31

It is just a coincidence that most name changes affect the Empire.

We need "barracks" for the planned "casern" building, because "casern" is rarely used. https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/1075562. We can't have 2 different buildings for the same tribe called "barracks". If you have an idea for a better name, please say so - "blockhouse" is just the best name that we could come up with at the time.

Discussion on plate armour etc. is in this thread: https://wl.widelands.org/forum/topic/1568/

We already have "Metal Workshop", so I could get behind "Ax Workshop". Certainly easier to pronounce than "Ax Smithy".

And here's the explanation for stout: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stout

Edited: 2015-10-19, 12:33

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-10-19, 12:57

What about shack, or Log cabin (may renamed to "soldier cabin") instead of blockhouse?

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-10-19, 14:38

in my mind, barracks would work well for the military building and caserm for the recruiting place, but admittedly, that's probably because of previous videogaming experience and similarity to italian words. I'll let someone with a better knowledge of english to settle the matter.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-10-19, 19:34

kaputtnik wrote:

What about shack, or Log cabin (may renamed to "soldier cabin") instead of blockhouse?

A blockhouse is not a Blockhaus, so "shack" or "log cabin" is not what we want here at all. It's a false friend face-wink.png

I have also been thinking about the Axfactory thing - at the moment, we have a clear progression from (Metal) Workshop via (War) Mill to (Ax) Factory. So, it is clear from the name which building is more enhanced. If we renamed Axfactory to Ax Workshop, we would get Workshop - Mill - Workshop instead, losing the clear progression. So, in context, Ax Factory is better for gameplay.

Edited: 2015-10-19, 19:37

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote