Latest Posts

Topic: WL Crash at early map editor stage:

staustelladam

Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2015-09-06, 08:18

Hi all,

Following my urge to run later versions of Widelands past build 18, specifically Tino's trunk builds, I upgraded to a new machine, x64 and running Windows 8.1. Playing the maps and random maps is fine, but I am having problems with the editor.

Whenever I try to save a edited game it crashes, with the message:

c:data/bzr/widelands/working/src/io/filesystem/layered_filesystem.cc.249 - unable to create sub filesystem

As with previous versions I keep trying to find the stdout.txt file, but it cannot be located anywhere on my machine, and I have used three different file explorers, with permissions set to allow view everything, and I just can't find it.

I'm only trying to create a 256x256 map, so nothing too large, and this is at the very early stages of just laying out some grass and water, nothing more.

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks, A.

Top Quote
staustelladam

Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2015-09-06, 10:01

Just updated to trunk build 7159, as I thought that this may solve the problem ... it hasn't. And I still can't find a stdout.text file in my system. Is this a specific bug to the editor or is it more likely to be something specific to my machine?

Thanks, A.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-09-06, 10:31

You could try to get at the log files like this:

Tino wrote:

Yeah, Windows is a bit cumbersome because window applications do not output any stdout or stderr.

But it is possible to log all messages and errors, just do the following:

• Open a command shell
  • Change to Wideland directory (e.g. cd C:\Games\Widelands)
  • Start Widelands with the command
    widelands.exe 1> widelands.log 2>&1

Now everything gets written to the file widelands.log.

I can't reproduce this in Linux right now, so it might be a Windows-related file system issue.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Ergo
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2015-09-06, 13:47

I did it a few days ago, but that command line created actually 3 files: widelands.log with 0 bytes size, stderr.txt and stdout.txt with their respective sizes and contents. I have no problems creating a 512 x 512 map in Editor now, except that maybe because of the animations of water and lava or the map size, the Editor is slowed down, slow response.

Edited: 2015-09-06, 13:52

Hic regum sceptrum dominus tenet
orbisque habenas temperat
et volucrem currum stabilis regit
rerum coruscus arbiter.
-- Anicius Manlius Severinus Boethius

Top Quote
Ergo
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2015-09-06, 14:50

Well, I just got a problem when saving from Editor: Zip filesystem: save file may be corrupt. And after it I checked Do not zip files in Options, then the Editor crashed when trying to overwrite saved maps. O.o Maybe the zipper bugged? After playing around with the Zip options, it seems to be randomly, sometimes I could open a zipped file and overwrite with changes, sometimes crashed. Also played with the Editor starting, started it with the Widelands menu or via direct shortcut to Editor. Now the Editor Menu got corrupted, the third option is incomprehensible hieroglyphs. Got another error: When starting from the Widelands game menu the Editor, options: Do not zip files checked, and from the Editor loading a zipped map then making changes and trying to write it over, the Editor crashes with Permission denied. Conclusion: do not mix zipped unzipped types, cos zipped type is a single file only, without any subdirectories.

Your problem: unable to create sub filesystem is with unzipped types. Or maybe not.

Just got error message: ZipFilesystem: make directory : problem with file/directory: /binary/

Its completely random, sometimes I can save 4-5 times without crashing, other time crashes even when I dont mix the zip types.

Edited: 2015-09-06, 18:02

rerum coruscus arbiter.

Top Quote
staustelladam

Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2015-09-07, 07:34

Thanks Gun. Ran the game under cmd, the editor crashed upon opening edit file and saving immeditately. This is what came out - I'm not an expert but I don't see any error that makes me concerned:

** Set home directory: C:\Users\Adam.widelands Widelands executable directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\Widelands Adding directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\Widelands. selected language: (system language) Graphics: Try to set Videomode 1366x768 Graphics: OpenGL: Version "4.0.0 - Build 10.18.10.3349" Graphics: OpenGL: Double buffering enabled Graphics: OpenGL: Max texture size: 16384 GRAPHICS REPORT * VIDEO DRIVER windows pixel fmt 370546692 size 1366 768 * END GRAPHICS REPORT ** SoundHandler: songset "intro" does not exist! SoundHandler: songset "menu" does not exist! Loading the world took 1822ms Font file not found. Falling back to serif: serif Could not find file: could not find file or directory: i18n/fonts/serif Loading barbarians took 3643ms. Loading empire took 3489ms. Loading atlanteans took 3120ms. Loading barbarians took 17ms. Loading empire took 1ms. Loading atlanteans took 0ms. Reading Elemental Data ... took 3ms Reading Player Names And Tribe Data ... took 4ms Reading Port Spaces Data ... took 0ms Reading Heights Data ... took 2ms Reading Terrain Data ... took 4ms Reading Map Objects ... took 1ms Reading Player Start Position Data ... took 0ms Reading Resources Data ... took 6ms Reading Map Extra Data ... took 1ms Reading Map Version Data ... took 1ms Reading Allowed Worker Types Data ... took 1ms Reading Allowed Building Types Data ... took 1ms Reading Node Ownership Data ... took 3ms Reading Exploration Data ... took 5ms Reading Flag Data ... took 2ms Reading Road Data ... took 1ms Reading Building Data ... took 3ms Reading Flagdata Data ... took 1ms Reading Roaddata Data ... took 0ms Reading Buildingdata Data ... took 1ms Second and third phase loading Map Objects ... took 1ms Reading Players View Data ... MapPlayersViewPacket::read: WARNING: Could not open "player/1/view/unseen_times_1" for reading. Assuming that the game is from an old version without player point of view. Will give player 1 knowledge of unseen nodes, edges and triangles (but not resources).took 3ms Reading Player Message Data ... took 0ms Reading Objective Data ... took 2ms Reading Scripting Data ... took 0ms WidelandsMapLoader::load_map_complete() took 193ms lastserial: 0

Unexpected error during the game [c:/data/bzr/widelands/working/src/io/filesystem/layered_filesystem.cc:249] LayeredFileSystem: unable to create sub filesystem

Please report this problem to help us improve Widelands. You will find related messages in the standard output (stdout.txt on Windows). You are using build bzr7519[trunk] (Release). Please add this information to your report.

Widelands attempts to create a savegame when errors occur during the game. It is often – though not always – possible to load it and continue playing. **

Top Quote
Ergo
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2015-09-07, 11:19

It seems you are trying to load and play an old savegame?

rerum coruscus arbiter.

Top Quote
staustelladam

Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2015-09-08, 08:01

Ergo wrote:

It seems you are trying to load and play an old savegame?

Not at all. I open the editor, create a newmap, edit some terrain, save it, make further edits then it crashes when I try to save it again. I haven't yet got to the stage where I want to play it.

Top Quote
Ergo
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2015-09-08, 12:55

Ok, then its the same what I did. It is completely random crashes, even when I do not mix zip types. Sometimes can save 4-5 times, other times crashes instantly when trying to save.

Edited: 2015-09-08, 12:55

rerum coruscus arbiter.

Top Quote
staustelladam

Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2015-09-09, 07:21

Now there is a strange thing. I thought about other ways to save the game, and instead of just saving the edited map I decided to save it as a file within a "create folder" ... and so far it is opening, editing and saving without crashing.

Why would the simple expedient of saving in a different location make a difference to the save function?

Top Quote