Latest Posts

Topic: In Game Menu:

staustelladam

Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2015-04-19, 15:44

Hi,

Just reinstalled WL on a cleaned up machine and my in-game menu (the seven or so buttons at bottom of screen) seem to be missing.

Any quick way to re-enable the buttons/options?

Thanks, Adam.

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-04-19, 16:29

Did you check your resolution (just in case, should be no problem in windowed mode)?

If that is not the problem:

• What version are you playing (build-18 or development build)?
  • What OS are you using?
  • Where did you get the game data from (precompiled/self-compiled)?

Many of those buttons have shortcuts, btw (e.g. Ctrl+s: save, m: minimap etc.). I think there is a file (readme?) where they are listed.

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote
staustelladam

Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2015-04-19, 16:37

Still using Win XP, with WL 18-6826 (the version I was using previously) with all the pre-compiled stuff I had before.

All I have done is set up as I have done previously, but the menu itself is missing ... even in window mode. Resolution is as per the machine.

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-04-19, 21:41

I'm no programmer, but I would say that the same Widelands version should yield the same result. I cannot imagine that something other from your system influences those buttons (we're talking of the seven buttons "options", "statistics", "minimap" etc?). One last check: Can you see the bottom line in the main menu, which tells you about the Widelands version? And have you checked the menu in the editor? Have you noticed any other oddities?

Widelands does not write a stdout.txt/stderr.txt any more. You can do that manually by starting Widelands from the command line with widelands.exe >stdout.txt 2>stderr.txt (if that does not work, search for something like "output redirection windows" or ask Tino - he wrote it somewhere in the forum). I doubt there will be something strange, but one never knows.

Have you considered downloading a new version of Widelands/upgrading your OS face-wink.png

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote
staustelladam

Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2015-04-20, 13:54

I've rolled back to rc build 18, and everything is back where it should be. Thanks.

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-04-21, 19:41

wl-zocker wrote:

Have you considered downloading a new version of Widelands/upgrading your OS face-wink.png

With XP that’s a VERY GOOD idea, anyway. If I had a computer with that OS I wouldn’t let it connect to the internet any more. face-wink.png

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
DragonAtma
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-04-28, 05:12

XP is a great OS; it runs programs dating back as the early 80's with no problem. Unfortunately, Microsoft was stupid enough to stop supporting windows XP, so if there's a gaping security hole they won't patch it.

As a result, upgrading to windows 7 (not 8 or 8.1, and definitely not vista) is recommended.

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-04-28, 12:33

DragonAtma wrote:

Microsoft was stupid enough to stop supporting windows XP, so if there's a gaping security hole they won't patch it.

That is official statement, but patches are still producing face-smile.png Maybe not every month, but few times a year there are security updates face-wink.png

As a result, upgrading to windows 7 (not 8 or 8.1, and definitely not vista) is recommended.

I agree with that, but I've found that windows 7 has terrible problems with USB 2.0 devices. After about a half of year they are not working properly. So basic devices can have troubles with working face-confused.png

I've found some troubles with Linux too (Ubuntu & Gentoo), so my general idea is "I can't find ideal operating system."

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
DragonAtma
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-04-28, 15:34

Well, Microsoft DID have egg on their face due to heartbleed; given the timing and the danger, they pretty much had to release an update for windows xp despite it technically being unsupported.

But the only updates they seem to release for xp mode afterwards are monthly antivirus updates.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-04-28, 17:03

einstein13 wrote:

I've found some troubles with Linux too (Ubuntu & Gentoo), so my general idea is "I can't find ideal operating system."

Every system has good and bad things, there is no ideal operating system. I prefer (arch-) Linux with kde desktop... it suits most of my needs and it is more related to my personal politic (using open source). But for some reasons i must use windows7 once in a month. So i use a dualboot system where linux boots as standard.

It's a bit painful, but windows 2000 runs also in an virtual evironment once a week face-upset.png

Maybe we need a off-topic corner here....

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote