Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Questions on programming widelands

fuchur

Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2014-11-24, 20:57

I'm more used to Delphi but now I want to do a little programming with widelands and therefore downloaded the source code according to the instructions here in the wiki. But I have some questions about that topic.

• At some time I'd like to upload my changes to launchpad. Do I have to create a branch before I download the source code? Or do I create it just before I change something? Is there a special naming scheme for branch names?

• What's the best place to ask specific questions concerning the source code?

• Are there recommended IDEs for Ubuntu or do you just use a simple text editor?

Any help is appreciated face-smile.png

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-11-24, 21:14

This is an important page for you: https://wl.widelands.org/wiki/BzrPrimer/

First, you need to register an ssh key with Launchpad: https://help.launchpad.net/YourAccount/CreatingAnSSHKeyPair. Otherwise, you won't be able to upload (push) your changes.

Then, you bzr branch lp:widelands trunk the trunk into a local directory. You then create a local copy of the trunk by running bzr branch trunk <destination-folder>

You then do your work in the destination-folder, which you can upload into a new branch on Launchpad. I use the tool "BZR Explorer" for that, which will also give me a diff between the current files and the last commit.

Once your work is finished, you will make a merge request on Launchpad and we will review the code.

For specific questions concering the code, you can try all channels really. If you're working on a bug that's in our bugtracker, you could use that. If not, the forum, IRC or the mailing list - your pick.

I use QT Quick for C++ and Geany for Lua. All tools I mentioned are available in the Ubuntu Software Center.

Edited: 2014-11-24, 21:14

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
fuchur

Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2014-11-26, 16:50

Thanks a lot, I didn't know that page in the wiki. I guess that's because I didn't click on the development main menu entry where it's linked. But as I read in the Wiki Thread that "problem" will be addressed.

Top Quote