Latest Posts

Topic: soldiers getting stuck

king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-11-22, 02:04

I had a very curious bug today where, upon fighting in a narrow chokepoint, my soldiers and the enemy ones just stopped fighting for no apparent reason, instead standing still where they were. I made a full bug report with attached files here https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/1395238

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-12-08, 01:17

After more games, I found out the reason of the bug: there is the point of the map where only one soldier at a time can pass. I attack an enemy on the other side of it. my soldiers reach the building, win the fight and set it to fire (too close to other buildings to conquer). I also send other soldiers to attack other buildings. Now, if the timing is wrong, the soldiers going back from the first attack and the ones going forward from the second attack will meet in the middle and no one can pass. enemy soldiers will rise to meet the attackers (second wave), but they cannot reach them because there is the first wave still in the way. they only increase the mess. this can only be solved by dismantling/destroying the source or the target of the attack. It's not a bug, it's a weakness of the game engine.

Top Quote
DragonAtma
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2014-12-08, 01:30

I've noticed soldier jams tend to occur in checkpoints before, but that certainly explains the problem.

Hmm... one way to fix that would be to program groups of soldiers to automatically return home if they go long enough (say, two minutes) without anyone in the group fighting enemies.

Top Quote