Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Thereis no new build since 18/01/2014 for raring (Ubuntu 13.4)

TeeEff

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2014-02-15, 16:24

Hello,

On the launchpad the last build for raring (Ubuntu 13.4) is 28/01/2014.

How to download the rc1 ?

Thanks

-,=;<

Top Quote
hjd

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2014-02-15, 16:51

On the launchpad the last build for raring (Ubuntu 13.4) is 28/01/2014.

I assume you are talking about the daily builds PPA. We build packages for currently supported Ubuntu releases (except 10.04, but that's a different story). However, 13.04 reached End of Life on January 27th and is no longer supported by Ubuntu (for details see 1 or 2). In fact, it has been disabled for PPAs on Launchpad so we cannot even select it when building new packages.

Even though the packages will no longer be updated for 13.04, I'll let them live for a while longer on the PPA until people have had the time to upgrade. face-smile.png

How to download the rc1 ?

If you wish to continue using the PPA, I would recommend upgrading to Ubuntu 13.10. Alternatively you can download the [build 18 rc1 source code] and compile it.

Ships!

Top Quote
TeeEff

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2014-02-15, 18:28

Thanks for your reply.

As I'm using Linux mint, I'm little late compared to the Ubuntu release. So only 9 months of support is really short.

Well, I will upgrade to Mint 16...

-,=;<

Top Quote
hjd

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2014-02-16, 14:02

I left a comment on the PPA description explaining the situation to make it clearer why it isn't building any new packages.

As I'm using Linux mint, I'm little late compared to the Ubuntu release. So only 9 months of support is really short.

I'm not that familiar with Mint, but my impression is that they follow the release schedule of upstream pretty closely. I can say a bit about the Ubuntu releases though. face-smile.png

The main focus is the Long Term Support (LTS) releases which are released every second year, and are supported for the next five years. In addition to this, they have the in-between releases every sixth month. (Basically every fourth release is an LTS and has a longer support period.)

Security fixes and upgrades are applied to all supported releases. The in-between releases used to be supported for 18 months, which meant they would get upgrades up to a year after the next release was available. This meant that time and effort was spent to prepare upgrades for these releases even though most users were probably either running the LTS or the latest in-between release. Thus, they wished to cut down on the amount of releases living in parallel, while still allowing a reasonable amount of time to upgrade to the next release.

Ships!

Top Quote