Latest Posts

Topic: Constructionsite stops if stock is reduced (bug or not?)

fuchur

Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2013-05-18, 20:24

Recently I tried the first time to reduce the maximum stock number of a building material in a construction site to 1 (here: blackwood in barbarian arena). I did so because I was short on blackwood and needed it on other and more important sites. What I expected was that when that one piece of blackwood is used by the builder a new one gets delivered. But after the one blackwood was used the maximum stock number got reduced to 0 and the builder stopped doing something after all other materials were used.

The question is if that behaviour is intended or if it's a bug. I can file a bug report on launchpad, but I wanted to present it for discussion first.

It seems to me that the marker for the maximum stock number is set relative to the right side of the stock window (said in non programming words). And if a ware is used for building the number of stockable items is reduced from the left side. So the maximum marker will move one step to the left and finally reach the 0 position.

In a normal building that uses the wares only for production that can never happen. And I guess most people never tried to move the marker in construction sites.

I tried it with build 6440 and 6567. It's easy to reproduce. Start a new game and build any building. Set the marker for any ware one position to the left. You can leave the construction site window open and see what's happening.

Top Quote
tosz

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2013-05-18, 23:48

I always thought this was intentional, not a bug.

Top Quote
Adamant

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2013-05-19, 11:49

I don't like Stores with unlimited Capacity as in RL we can't store unlimited Amounts of Goods in a WareHouse. I still wonder about the present Capacity and I wonder about the uneconomic Idle-Chains of Carrier which would all in RL eat but don't do more than idle and sometimes carrying. Sure there are HotSpots where the Carrier run full Time but the most idle almost whole Day. Matter of Store-Saturation was anyway forgotten. face-smile.png

Ivan the Terrible is dead .. Genghis Khan is dead .. and I do not feel well, too.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2013-05-19, 12:29

fuchur, this is intentional. The rational behind the design is that you want to not have your wares consumed: i.e. you want this constructionsite to only use one blackwood right now, because you counted and need the blackwood in other places. This discussion came up on the bug tracker once before were people did expect the behavior as you did - so clearly there are at least two use cases people think off and we might need to add support for both.

Top Quote
fuchur

Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2013-05-19, 14:28

SirVer, thanks for clarifying this.

Top Quote