Latest Posts

Topic: Non-militaristic game goals

mxsscott

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2013-01-11, 01:12

I have seen comments made that Widelands isn't just about creating a big army and attacking your opponents, but about economy management.

To that end, what kind of multiplayer scenarios could promote this?

1. First player to produce X of Y? (100 scythes for example) - "it's harvest time!"

2. "Deliver to the flag" maps - a central area has a warehouse for each player. The players start towards the edge of the map, and may be separated from each other by sea, lava, desert or mountains (prohibiting warfare, or there may be channels open to permit a little disruption). The aim is to be the first to deliver X gold, X meals and X beer to their warehouse (as a donation to the gods for example)

Any thoughts?

Top Quote
fschueller

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2013-01-11, 23:56

mxsscott wrote:

"Deliver to the flag" maps - a central area has a warehouse for each player. The players start towards the edge of the map, and may be separated from each other by sea, lava, desert or mountains (prohibiting warfare, or there may be channels open to permit a little disruption). The aim is to be the first to deliver X gold, X meals and X beer to their warehouse (as a donation to the gods for example)

I like this idea. I think one could build really interesting games/scenarios with it. But why use a warehouse? At least in the long term it would be nice to have a special building "temple/market hall/what ever" for this. Maybe even some building that has different colored flags at each site, and different (or some kind mixed)-owned land around, such that every player can connect. (But i fear the last point would be a rather bigger project)

Top Quote
simplypeachy

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2013-01-12, 00:25

I had thought about something like #2 recently as well! It would also be interesting if competing tribes had to provide wares to a monument / offering to the gods, which is built as wares are delivered. Whoever delivers the most value, wins!

WARNING: New-style view packet not found. There may be strange effects regarding unseen areas.
_aD on IRC

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2013-01-12, 12:59

Have you tried the smugglers scenario (for 4 players). This is very similar, only that always two players can 'trade' via some warehouses and the first team to trade a number of wares wins.

Top Quote