Latest Posts

Topic: Signs (free text or fixed)

Felix_Atagong
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2013-01-01, 12:31

First of all Happy New Year!

On large maps there are often mountains with products (iron, stone) that you don't immediately need. Problem is that the geologist's signs disappear after a while...

So my suggestion would be to have the possibility to add Signs with free text (in the action menu?). Another possibility would be to make a geologist sign permanent (with a click) or the possibility to add a caption to a flag you place...

Sorry if this has been posted before (or is already in the game), didn't find it though.

PS: I know there are CTRL screen shortcuts, but if these point to different mountains, I always forget which mountain contains what. face-glasses.png

Top Quote
simplypeachy

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2013-01-01, 13:03

I tend to build mines immediately. Excepting marble/granite mines, they will only produce to satisfy demand or economy targets. You have to pay for the mine construction, miners and initial food supplies, but then they will simply wait until needed. This helps prevent you from having to retroactively manage your ore supplies when mines are exhausted.

There's already a discussion on geologist markers at http://wl.widelands.org/forum/topic/1014/ which you're welcome to read and add to.

Edited: 2013-01-01, 13:04

WARNING: New-style view packet not found. There may be strange effects regarding unseen areas.
_aD on IRC

Top Quote
Felix_Atagong
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2013-01-01, 15:07

Thanks, obviously I didn't look for 'markers'. I will respond on that thread then...

Top Quote
PkK

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2013-01-02, 12:59

I, too, often put mines sites immediately, before the markers go away. To save on construction costs and miners, I initially do not connect them to the road network though.

Philipp

Top Quote
Felix_Atagong
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2013-01-02, 13:13

Yes, that's a solution obviously, I had never thought of it.

Top Quote
mxsscott

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2013-01-02, 21:45

But not always desirable, if the map requires you to build a road through the mined area.

For MultiPlayer games, would you have the signs visible to enemies (or those in your alliance?)

• "This is my weak spot!"
  • "Here be defenses"
  • "Come on, if you think you're hard enough"
  • "Trespassers will be eaten. Miners are hungry."

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2013-01-03, 09:04

Text on the minimap is a clumsy solution imho. I cannot see a more flexible approch though, but games should life with symbols, not text (imho).

Top Quote
Felix_Atagong
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2013-01-03, 09:41

You can't put markers (with free text) on the minimap, obviously. I quite like the idea of having flags with captions, the flag could have a different colour or shape (a 'sign' shape) and the text would only be visible inside the menu, if you click on the flag. The sign would act like a normal flag if you connect it with a road...

Another possibility would be to have a set of marker flags all with different colours (green, red, yellow flag and so on), that can be switched on or off...

To mxsscott, in Open TTD the signs (as they are called there) are visible to everybody in multiplayer, but of course there isn't mining or warfare involved. It would be stupid to have a 'gold here' sign that everybody can see.

Top Quote