Latest Posts

Topic: Complexity vs. ??? - Is Widelands "complex enough"?

Adamant

Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2012-12-17, 16:34

Is WideLands complex enough? User and Developer may argue from different Point of View and I would like to hear both. Me as User of the Game have a clear Position about this Point. For Introduction I quote a Post from fine Member Nasenbear: http://wl.widelands.org/forum/post/8503/

Nasenbaer wrote: <snip> In general my answer on your ideas are the "inofficial Widelands design guidelines" (guidelines, which most of the developers agreed on in the last year and which describe how Widelands should behave and look like):

Widelands is already complex. So keep new features simple! Widelands is a game placed somewhere between strategic board games and computer economy simulations. It is not meant to look or behave like the real world. (In case it was like the real world, it would definitely be unplayable ) The transportation of goods is decided by the game, players can only influence the calculation by the placement of streets and buildings and through the setting of priorities for ware demands (construction. and productionsites) or store (warehouses). Maps are static during a game. A player can harvest wood, build buildings, etc, but the height as well as the terrain has to stay the way it is. Keep military aspects as small as possible

Those guidelines are just that - "guidelines" - we already implemented some features, which were partly against one or more of those guidelines. However those features are the ones of the game that lead to the biggest discussions and some lead to new discussions on and on (e.g. the natural tree cycle). Keeping that in mind, I may not and do not want to decide about the features you suggest at the moment, but I doubt that most of them will ever be implemented, sorry. But well, let's see how seafaring evolves. With a bit of luck there will be some changes and improvements in the next time.

I think that Post builds a good Base to illustrate somewhat the BackGround of the Matter. I'm still I not Developer of the WideLands-Team, didn't agree with that GuideLands and all I ask for I don't intend to implement self but am dependent from that what the Developers do. Nevertheless I can express my personal Wishes for the Game. The are several different Points in that Quote I don't like resp disagree. First of all it's about the Complexity. WideLands is complex enough to get interesting to me but it's not complex enough to satisfy me.

I like totally that the military Dimension of WideLands got limited (resp. declared to have a minor Role). I can identify two Dimensions of the Game: Economy and Military. I agree that the military Dimension may play a minor Role (that a relative Limit not an absolut) but the Matter is that the whole Economy is like a Plant that grows to get Fruits and the Fruits on the Top of the Plant are "military Fruits" but sadly that Fruits are "crippled" (or let's say "limited"). I like the Idea that the Military Dimension shall have a minor Role but I miss "Options" for the Game. As Player I can't do anything else but build up the Economy and if got built up the only Way to utilize that Power or Options is to fight against other Players. I though a Lot about the Matter and found a Lot Ways to extend the Game by Depth of Dimension (eg. Trade concerns the economic Dimension) or even new Dimensions (eg RPG or Adventure,...) but for sure all would increase the Complexity of the Game -- or won't matter a Lot.

I don't know what was the Reason for that Limitation of Complexity but here I care mainly about the Question if Players think this Game is "complex" enough or not and second if Developers think the Game (its Code) is complex enough.

Here I start the Thread and will provide next Time some Arguments, Points and Ideas but now I ask for other Minds.

Ivan the Terrible is dead .. Genghis Khan is dead .. and I do not feel well, too.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-12-17, 20:52

We plan to add trading. I am not fond of RPG elements though. Trading is difficult to get right though, if you can come up with a complete solution how that could look in the game, go for it.

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-12-18, 08:40

And another word concerning complexity: As I wrote, if there is a good reason for a new feature that increases complexity, but still is worth it and there is no simpler alternative, which is as good as the complex one, it can still be implemented. What I meant with "keep it simple" was the KISS principle

For example: Normally Widelands is not the type of game to directly control a unit, so my first plan was to keep this behaviour for sea expeditions as well. But the more I think about it, the more I believe, that there is no alternative to a direct control for the scouting ship. In the original Settlers 2, the expedition ships directly sailed to the next free harbour spaces in the selected direction therefore no direct control of the ship was needed. However such a type of "expedition" would make sea expeditions quite boring. So that's the reason I thought about a direct control. But if the sea expedition is implemented as a direct ship control, why should the ship be controlled via buttons in the ships window, that point in different directions? A simple mouse click on the map would suffice, wouldn't it?

So there is the base for discussion - If we just follow the KISS principle, it would suggest to indeed implement a "one click" control for the scouting ship, but the question is: is there any advantage in another implementation for the control? Even if that advantage is "to make it harder for the player to find a new harbour space in time"...

Alright I am already writing too much face-wink.png ... So what I wanted to say is: There is nothing wrong with features that increase the complexity of the game, as long as those features are a real improvement for the game and as long as there is no (as good as, but) simpler solution to implement those features.

Edited: 2012-12-18, 08:47

Top Quote
Felix_Atagong
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2012-12-18, 12:09

For a newbie Widelands is already pretty complex, everybody who has been blocked because he forgot to put a forester, will remember that! 8) But the learning curve is not too difficult and experienced players could use some extra difficulties like maneating dinosaurs or attacking UFOs (just kidding).

This is where OpenTTD went astray, IMO, from a simple XP patch for Transport Tycoon it evolved into a game with hundreds of settings and downloadable GRF (graphics, settings, scenarios and AI) that will enhance the game for the experienced player but that will scare away the newbie who opens the game for the very first time.

A possibility would be to have a beginner and a pro setting, perhaps with downloadable add-ons that would alter the behaviour of certain buildings or mines etc... or even add new buildings (a market) and persons (a trader)...

A thought about trading: I never liked the way trading worked in Age of Empires, where you could still trade with an enemy, using his resources to destroy him quicker. I would like it that only allies would trade with you and not enemies (implying that an ally would automatically turn into an enemy if you attack one of his military sites, but not if you 'accidentally' destroy a building by enlarging your territory...)

Edited: 2012-12-18, 12:10

Top Quote
Adamant

Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2012-12-19, 13:18

Idea if RPG means to me that Units get a Name abd two Units of same Type can have different Properties like "some Points more" on Strength and some Points lesser on Health. Eg. when Workers like Miner and MasterMiner return to HQ they get an anonym Number. Let's say I've two Miners and need a MasterMiner. One Miner have few XP (for Mining) while the other need few Xp to get MasterMiner. My Idea: send the Almost-MasterMiner into a small Mine to get the missing XP to get a MasterMiner and that one get send to DeepMine. For that Matter may be useful or necessary different Function and Buttons but in first Order I can't distinguish two Miners by their XP as long as they are not working inside a Mine where I can see that Property. Let's assume I want to send a XP=19-Miner-Unit inside a Mine and later I find again a XP=19-Miner-Unit and wonder if I didn't send it successfully into the Mine. No Way to identify (safely) after that if I sent the right Miner or did not. With a UnitName I COULD memorize and remind its Name and thus find that It's another Almost-MasterMiner I want to get quickly MasterMine. Brief Fazit: the Unit-Names helps a Lot to figure out what really happens.

Another Point that perhaps concerns RPG is that the HQ transforms a Hammer into a Builder. I see on the Screen a Builder walking with a Hammer but in Fact it's an Animation for a Builder (always with a Hammer) and that Unit don't have any Equipment even the Hammer. When that Unit gets "destructed" the Code does remove the Builder and create a Hammer instead.

What does it matter? Let's assume any GameSystem with any Features/Qualities given. Normally we prefer that the Game gets closer to Reality. We don't prefer if something is less realistic in the Game like Ships can now walk over the Country. We have a System as given and can utilize its Features to archive a Result we consider (or intend to be) as best as can. We can exhaust that System to archive better (more realistc) Resultats. Example: (This Way is as I think to find out. May be the Matter is different (correct solved)). I figure out that there are three Tribes with different "Mining-Technology". Atlantean can just build simple Mines, Emperials already DeepMines and Barbarians even DeeperMines. First Idea is that the Barbarians are in Advantage due to their better Mining-Technology. As I read Configurations for Mines I found that the seeming Advantage is an Disadvantage as if Atlanteans did exploit a small Mine also Barabarians won't mine anymore with deep or deeper Mines. The Point here is that WideLands represent a given System and that System get exhausted as good as can to archive reasonable Results/Behavior. Due to Insufficiencies (which always exist) of that Game that Problem can't get solved easily at Config-Level. Rewriting the Source means changing the System and not its Utilization as operating System.

The brief Fazit is: (we may understand here irrealistic/bogus Behavior/Implementation as Error or Insufficiency) You can archive "advanced Features" with Tricks and maximized Utilization of a given "bogus" System but that Approach is very limited I advise to invest better Work into implementing the System more realistic instead fixing the broken System at Config-Level. For the Hammer-Example above: better take more Gens from RPG and give Units an Inventory that they can have Equipments instead fixing that at Config-Level. I thought eg. about WearOut of Tools requiring a LifeTime/WorkTime for Tools but that would behave rather strange if the Code can't identify how old/aged a Tool is. The RPG-Matter of Equipment means here the half Way to have wear Tools. Would that Matter already got solved WearOut of Tools would be lesser "distant" from Implementation as it is right now. Crutches may be useful to get on the Feet and learn walking but Crutches are Crutches and better is to get rid of them as in long Term they transform into DeadFreight and Barriers.

Fazit for the Matter of RPG: I don't know what you understand about RPG but here I mean with RPG more technical Aspects. Nevertheless I am a Freind of RPG-Games and therefore that Term causes lesser allergic Behavior from me.

There is the first "Campaign" (Tutorial) I played just for the Barbarians. That Story concerns any Barbarian-Woman which was tough, nice, rich, etc. and got all fixed to master the Situtation (blabla -> StoryLine). In the Game that Woman was invisible due to Units have no Gender and no Names. Without that it's much harder to render a Story in the Game. With UnitNames it's possible to write a Campaign (Objectives) like "build three Ships and sail with Hero Lumbum to the Shores of the big Land in the West and build there any nice Building and whoops you got the Campaign solved." To hit the Nail: Stories without Names are hard to tell.

Ivan the Terrible is dead .. Genghis Khan is dead .. and I do not feel well, too.

Top Quote
Adamant

Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2012-12-19, 14:46

I'm not a Friend of Doube-Posts but the Web-Interface of the Site doesn't allow me to quote different Sources but allow me to dobble-post. Previous Post from me concerned the Post of SirVer while this deals with the Post of NasenBaer. For better Readability I split the Post resp. create a Double-Post and hope I don't get Trouble from that.

Traditionally I was a Friend of KISS in the Way of Reduction to the Essentials. But I found KISS got abused to "make it anyway working and heal that as Crown of Development" makes me sick and let me change to an Opponent of KISS. Albert Einstein: "Make it simple as possible - but not simpler!". I like KISS for ProtoTyping due to it's a really good Crutch and can help a Lot to make a Bird fly but KISS is not the Solution but the Begin. Quasi as Contra-Phylisophy I defined "MIME" (Make it most Elegant) which concerns more the final Solution while how ever there may be an Intersection of MIME and KISS as elegant Solutions are relative small and small means simple in the Sense of low Complexity and therefore MIME and KISS are not real Counter-Parts. However, when >I< here an Argument containing the Word "KISS" I am endangered to close my Ears and to ignore following Words and refuse to think about similar like People which behave the other Way around when they hear something could violate the KISS-Principle. So, NasenBaer, you wrote something, I lost after I read a Word that caused me SightDisorders by unknown Reasons. As I did overview that Word I found that you wonder about multiple/different Ways to control a Ship. It's about Time and Interest. If I compare plain/direct Control over the Ship with Assembler and HighLevel-Controls with a HighLevel-ProgrammingLanguage like Java then I won't argue to replace Assembler with Java or Java with Assembler due to with both it's possible to solve arbitrary Problems or replace Java due to Assembler-Problems are much faster than Java. As Developer I would try to supply at least a MinimalSet to be able to handle all basic Matters. Direct Control is sure a most simple/generic Matter. If I can stear Ships manually and load/unload them manually then all is given to do all other Things like Trading: I talk with a Player and if we agree in any Kind of Trade (nx for my) it's up to the Honor of the Traders to fulfil that Trade and the Players are not dependend from additional Support by the Engine (like defining a TradeContract which have to get ratified from both Players etc). If we remind that the Game's Business is a Lot and we have to di a Lot of HouseKeeping (checking if the Mines are running and Goods go their Way regulary/automatically then we (at least me!) can't invest all other Time to transport Goods with another System manually. For an Expedition or Sortie-Mission I could be interested into simple/direct/fast Control to put eg. 40 Units Goods on Ship(s) and drive them to a special Location for fast Help. Also Exploration (sail to Isles, check with Geologists what Resources the Mountains there contains etc) is a Kind of Special Matter (As long I don't have a dozen of Explorers I want to operate atomatized) and important ASpect of Adventure which is most closest to get realized.

The different Kind of Controls I did suggest for Ships assumed that the most simple Way of direct Control is unavailable (due to it resist to getting debuged) and so I did think about other Ways for most basic Utilization of the Ships I saw already seasawing on the Ways close to a Habort but the Button to instruct them to drive to a Location did not cause anything. I hope the direct Control get anytime fixed but with or without, the additional HighLevel-Controls I did suggest aimed to utilize these Ships in the most basic Application Exploration and Transportation and Colonization. Simplified: if DirectControl-Bug resist/remain than the additional Controls change from Comfort-Features to BackUp-Controls returning most of the Gain which the Ships can give to the Player. When that Bug get identified/solved than they may remain as reasonable Comfort. For sure I would like to have that Ships to transport larger Quantities to remote Location but for a regular Transport the Players need a automatized Mechanism as he can't play "Carrier" to let a Ship change iterately between two Locations all the Time. The Approach for my Ideas was what other Functions could be useful to utilize the Ships and thus reduce the Need for the direct Control of the Ships. However, I would like to see the same Unit-Interface for Ships also for regular Land-Units. Especially I would use it to instruct Lumberer and StoneMasons to work at specified Locations (Tree/Rock) to get that Space free for addition Constructions. Without I can just hope the right Rock/Tree is the next and add more Sites to speed up Things. Same Interface could help to instruct Soldiers to address a special Target.

If we ignore the special UseCases the Point is all Kind of Units could profite from the Unit-Interface. I view somewhat the Code and found that there exist different Kind of Unit-Implementations: There is a Class for Solder and another for Worker. For some Type of Units exist either special Classes or they are hardcoded in the System: Eg Builder and Carrier can't get substituted by other Type(Name)s. I suggest to unite their Classes/Abilities into a single Class Unit to make their Abilities accessible for the Unit-Configuration. Eg. I want a Castle that it send 1-2 Soldiers for Patrol similar like the Scout. Instead copying the Scout-search-Code into the Soldier-Class better to unify these Classes (and thus make the Code more compact resp. less redundant).

For Adventure/Exploration-Things I would like to buy Silk from the Atlanteans and build a HotAirBalloon that can see from "high Altitude" (eg. 500m). The Point here concerns the SpaceType/MoveType. With a single Class for Unit covering both LandUnits and WaterUnits the Type of AirCraft should get covered same Time even if there is still no AirCraft. Term AirCraft sounds like AirJet or similar and thus like HighTech we know perhaps for just 100 Years and therefore doesn't fit into the technical Scope of the Tribes. However, a HotAirBalloon is an AirCraft as well and rather LowTec. The most important Material (special Sauce) for the Ballon is the Silk resp. SpiderSilk and therefore already given. That means HotAirBalloons are technologically close to Technology of the Tribes: Baskets from Reet and Balloon from Silk. What misses is the Combustible: CalciumCarbide. In the Game are already LimeKiln. These produce anyway Grout (...). That remind me on Groat. The real Product of LimeKiln is BurntLime. This Product is indeed important for IronPRoduction due to aside of Coke and IronOre about 5% of Load is BurntLime as in the Molt produced in the Furnace remain Compounds which are not Iron. With BurntLime these Compounds react with and build a Slag and thus drive up/out of the Molt and the Product get much cleaner. However, for HotAirBalloons is another simple Product more important. When you heat BurntLime up to 2000°C it melt. When you put CharCoal inside that Carbon reacts with the Molt (Carbon melts first over 3200°C!) and build CalciumCarbide. It's Productions is rather simple aside of you have to heat up to 2000°C (CoalFire can!) and need a Pan what resist that Temperature (Graphite could!). CalciumCarbide, a solid/Minteral, need just contact with Water to create a combustible Gas (Ethin/Acethylene). Some may argue we could let fly a HotAirBalloon that burns Cereal or Water to heat the Air and the User won't care about. I think different. Here the Point is that HotAirBalloons are relative simple to construct and operate (we got Silk for the Balloon, Reet for the Basket, BurntLime/CharCoal as PreProducts for CalciumCarbinde) and thus could have an AirCraft. If we consider therefore that AirCrafts are not generally out of the Scope of WideLands we have to consider a 3rd Space for Units. I did not examine minimal Technology-Requirements for a SubMarine but if we unite the Units we should same Time prepare support for SubMarines at least rudimentary even we (me) don't expect a Use for. For Implementation I guess that 4 Definitions should be sufficient: can_swim,can_dive,can_walk,can_fly to specify which Spaces can get accessed and at least on should be enabled.

Top Quote
Adamant

Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2012-12-19, 15:22

3rd Post:

quote: Felix_Atagong For a newbie Widelands is already pretty complex, everybody who has been blocked because he forgot to put a forester, will remember that! face-glasses.png But the learning curve is not too difficult and experienced players could use some extra difficulties like maneating dinosaurs or attacking UFOs (just kidding).

I remind the Games Black&White and Populus were "Catrastrophes caused from higher Powers" caused additional Trouble to the Players. For sure such "Events" could cause some dynamic/surprising/global Changes for the Game.

quote: Felix_Atagong This is where OpenTTD went astray, IMO, from a simple XP patch for Transport Tycoon it evolved into a game with hundreds of settings and downloadable GRF (graphics, settings, scenarios and AI) that will enhance the game for the experienced player but that will scare away the newbie who opens the game for the very first time.

I agree that "nice complex Games" require a good Introduction/Tutorial. I remind also there exist Games with moderate Complexity bur need a good/big Tutorial and complexer Games with lesser large Tutorial. Intuitivity of Interface is the Term which perhaps is needed. Especially strange Things like strange_property1 cause strange_effect2 etc. We don't have to learn resp teach in a Tutorial that the Lumberer can anytime clean the whole Forest and with no Forest no Wood get produced. For sure anytime a Player will encounter that Situation and decide to care more about that Aspect.

I don't know how to hit the Nail but I think I know what you mean. Perhaps can "Option-Forest" hit it?

quote: Felix_Atagong A possibility would be to have a beginner and a pro setting, perhaps with downloadable add-ons that would alter the behaviour of certain buildings or mines etc... or even add new buildings (a market) and persons (a trader)...

This aims into the Direction I think: if the Game provide a "realistic" GameWorld you can consider to start a Business as SalesMan or DragonFighter or whatever possible in the World (sadly all Dragons are already gone..)

quote: Felix_Atagong A thought about trading: I never liked the way trading worked in Age of Empires, where you could still trade with an enemy, using his resources to destroy him quicker. I would like it that only allies would trade with you and not enemies (implying that an ally would automatically turn into an enemy if you attack one of his military sites, but not if you 'accidentally' destroy a building by enlarging your territory...)

That "Trading" is not Trading in the real Sense. It shall represent Trading but it is not. In WideLands doesn't exist Money. (Excellent!) Money shall represent a Worth but it self is not worthy by its material Nature. A BankNote is a just a Piece of Paper People remind when the Inflation runs high. Trading means for me that I have as Trader an Inventory of Goods (traded Good are Wares) and I move there where I get high Returns for my Goods and there where I get Goods for a low Price and this works as long as I can cover my Costs but aims to archive at least a small Gain. Without Money the Gain can't be Money but can be the Amount of Resources. Eg. I offer 20 Lores of Ore and reverse get 20 Lores of Coal. Here is the Gain that if I have just Ore and trhus get Coal than I can produce Iron and thus Tools then this Advantage is the Gain. As Calculation: 40 Lores IronOre are_lesser_worth_than 20 Lores Ore + 20 Lores Coal => 20t Iron.

As Trader I don't produce or consume Materials aside of that I need for living and for Operation of my Ships or WareHouses and live from the Worth/Price-Gradient of Goods.

In MiddleAge the plain Idea of Trading was that if there are two Traders dealing about any Goods thent there is just a Gain for one Trader if there is a Loss for the other Trader. As Gain is the Propulsion for Business and Trading as well with this Theory a Deal with Gain can just happen if both Traders think to make a Gain and just is right. This is pure Nonesense.

With same Idea I would go shopping in a SuperMarket only if I think that the SuperMarket makes a Loss from. The much more realistic Approach is about Advantage. If there are two Players with one having 40t Ore and the other 40t Coal than both have a greater Advantage if they exchange 20t with the other to be able to produce Iron. Trading means here that one Plyer tries to get 21t fot 19t and thus Way archive a greater Advantage what doesn't mean that the other Player thus make a Loss but for sure have a lesser large Advantage from that Deal. Eg. Water. In the Mountains where the MeltWater flows down you can get a really Lot fresh clean Water for free but if you walk into the Desert you can get a high Price for the same Good. You can't sell Water in the Mountains for Desert-Prices. You could take Water from the Mountain and store it anyway and wander into the Desert and sell it there for Desert-Prices. If you can this Way archive a Gain (the Journey costs you normal anything as you have to eat and drink ..) you can make a Business from.

The Kind of Trading pointed from you doesn't mean anything to me in Matter of Trading. In other Words: I agree that this Implementation of Trading is lesser than Crap.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-12-20, 06:26

Adamant, I am sorry, but I cannot give your posts the treaty they deserve: I have to read through > 200 emails a day and therefore much prefer to not read much more in my spare time. What I can propose though is the following: Widelands is a game and the gameplay is pretty clear cut at this point in time. We will add more gameplay features that seem fitting, but we will not enhance the scope of the game by much. This has various reasons: manpower but also keeping the game interesting for beginners and pros alike. Adding more constraints (like wearing tools) does not add to the game from my point of view. Some other stuff (trading, maybe 'research' in the sense that all your people walk faster or so) does seem a more natural extension for the game to me.

As always, I suggest to not discuss the 'general' direction, but instead focus on one element you'd like to see in the game and make a as-specific-as possible suggestions how you'd like to see it implemented in the game (for example for the inventory that should include how the player interacts with the feature, which worker has an inventory, what items are available in the game and UI mockups to get a general feeling).

Peter, I advise against letting ships be directly controlled by the player. First and foremost because this is quite againt the aquarium principle that we use everywhere else. I like the one click solution - but I could imagine some more options than go north, south and so on. For example how about follow coastline vs deep see exploration? The movement pattern of the ship would be different and whenever a port place comes in sight, the player gets a message (the ship stops there as well). The port symbols could skew the movement paths, so whenever a ship starts moving it decides beforehand where it will end (though the player might not even see this spot yet) and skews the randomness of its movement patterns towards this point. Just my 2c... please do not implement RTS like unit control in Widelands.

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-12-20, 09:53

I agree with SirVer concerning everything in the two first text blocks.

@SirVer, concerning the third text block: I basically agree with you and no fear I won't start a new type of implementation without a prior discussion :). I already began to write a mail about the implementation, but well ... I stuck at some point. Hope to get the mail out of the doors in near future.

Top Quote
Adamant

Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2012-12-23, 13:57

Matter of Complexity is a specific Matter covering all (general Aspects) mainly in their Amount. The Matter here is not about a specific Extension (Direction) of the Game but about if Players think that the Game is complex enough. Specific Extensions are just Examples for Extension which would increase the Complexity. Ony may wish more this and the other more that - Matter of Taste - but here the Question is more or not more. This Thread doesn't aims for Determination of a common liked Kind of Extension (but is welcome to me) but about if the Game is complex "enough" (for what?) or not. IMO the Game's Scope is incomplete. It's for me like a Food I can eat without Resistance but IMO there are ANY Things missing - it's not something I can play for a long Time. I can build up an Economy and produce several Things to let the Economy grow. But on the Top of the FoodChain is the ArmamentsIndustry which consumes different Kind of Materials partially with a long Chain for Production. However, the Military is the Crown of Production in the Game that don't want the military Dimension to be larger as is. Effectively I feel that Dimension CRIPPLED due to it's rather hard to beat that Beast. I cheer the Decision that the Military Dimension in the Game shall not be the dominant Dimension of the Game (so my Interpretation). Cheer. However, I find the Implementation of Military broken/incomplete. I can place different Types of MilitarySites with different Range of Claim and Sight and Crew (I'm almost satified here) and there exist some Kind of Education/Train for Soldiers. But it's rather hard to manage and control these Units. I can't control single Units but evict them from Site. No Control where a single Unit or Crew shall move. My personal Fazit: the military Dimension is something that works anyway but it's nothing that makes real Fun to me but as said it's welcome to me that the military Dimension shall play a minor Rule. If I cut that "Fruit" from the Plant of Ecomy no other Fruits remain to me.

Due to I see that the "Development-Resources" are limited and tight I did invest some Time how that Game could get extended with relative little Effort (compared with other Extensions). I found that Trading (Demand and Offer of Wares - Market as Location of Pricing) and Logistic (Ports to store and exchange Goods) are close to the present Dimension (as Part of Economy).

I don't like the Idea here about any Limitation/Restriction of/to specific Extension but here it's about the general Question is WideLands already "complex enough" resp. if there is something missing would a specific Extension overceed the Developers Call for limited Complexity.

My bried Points are: WideLands is not complex enough resp it lack for addition/extended Dimensions which would imply extended Complexity. For those who agree in that Points I ask for Suggestions of new Dimensions which could help to change the Game into a thriving Game.

I found a Branch where a Developer told about his Experience with adding an Evict-Button for Worker on ProductionSites. (I found that Button is really important and missing to kick MasterMiners for other Mines.) If such such Essentials wait for Implementation we (Players) should not await a large Shift if we "successfully convince to add new Dimensions" but in this Thread I ask the Players and Developers if they find the Game is sufficient complex.

Top Quote