Latest Posts

Topic: Installing latest build on Kubuntu

fk
Topic Opener
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2013-09-21, 09:19

I want to install the latest build on a 32-bit Kubuntu system but:

1) When I follow the link for Linux (arch) the build is from 2012. It appears to offer source code and someone indicates that it cannot be compiled.

2) When I then follow the link for the Ubuntu version, it says something about PPA. I don't know what this is and where It can be found on a Kubuntu computer, if it exists there.

I assume that the solution will be simple since installing Widelands went as smoothly as possible; can someone help me out?

Top Quote
teppo

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2013-09-21, 12:31

Which version of Kubuntu are you running?

I do not know about PPA (do not have ubuntu), sorry. Have you tried these instructions? They are for Ubuntu, but should work for Kubuntu, too.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2013-09-21, 12:56

PPA stands for personal package archive - it is essentially something you add to your apt sources.list and which will get queried when you do an apt-get install (or install via any gui program like aptitude). It will essentially guarantee that you are using the latest version of Widelands on an system.

Our PPA with daily builds is here: https://launchpad.net/~widelands-dev/+archive/widelands-daily Installing from it should be as simple as opening a terminal and typing:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:widelands-dev:widelands-daily
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install widelands

I'll update the Wiki in a second.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2013-09-21, 13:01

I had at least one typo in this post. Could you test the new instructions on the Download page and fix it so that it works? Also, please report back here if it did work for you or not.

Top Quote
fk
Topic Opener
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2013-09-21, 15:03

Thanks for your reactions.

The Kubuntu version number appears to be confidential, I couldn't find it.

I tried both links but they continuously produced error messages: please try again.

I tried to run SirVer's commands but the first sentence returns (after a long time of waiting, as with the links): Cannot access PPA (https://launchpad.net/api/1.0/~widelands-dev/+archive/ppa) to get PPA information, please check your internet connection.

However, internet work fine as you can see. I have had these problems with the links to launchpad multiple times before.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2013-09-21, 15:33

That is bad timing for trying - Canonical's data centre went down and therefore a lot of their services (ubuntu.com, launchpad among others) are currently not reachable. As soon as you can reach launchpad.net again, try again. They are heavily investigating right now - but it seems to take a few hours till they are back.

Top Quote