Latest Posts

Topic: Possible improvements for managing buildings - building statistik window

Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2013-04-16, 15:35

bzr 6549
The building statistik window is a great help, especially with huge maps.
There is really no other way than to jump from one building of a certain type
to the next one, if you want to make sure you're not forgetting any.
But the process is quite time-consuming.
So, I'd like to suggest some improvement:

1. When you use the previous/next arrow keys, they should not only center the building in mid-screen,
    but also automatically open its window and close it before opening the next one.
    It should do so displaced from the screen center in order not to cover the building itself.

2. To assist the user and let him know, whether he has completed the full cycle of all
    the buildings of this type, there should be a counter displayed (i.e. 1/20, 2/20, 3/20 ... 20/20)
    This doesn't mean that an individual building always retains its number, it's just for the
    purpose mentioned above.

3. The building statistik window could be a great place to branch off a new window
    where you can make adjustments that pertain to all the buildings of the same type
    that you own.
    This doen't replace the "cycling through all houses" method, but honestly,
    Widelands should offer something along these lines, don't you think?

Graphically we could well use the "normal" site window, but should probably modify it to make clear
    that the user is changing all buildings of this type.
    Headline could be e.g. "All Warehouses" (instead of "Warehouse"), maybe in red.
    Additionally we could change the window's background.
    We may also want to disable the "destroy" and "dismantle" buttons for this.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote