Latest Posts

Topic: strange launch crash

burchardtist

Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2012-10-07, 11:25

Hello,

after installation I have been playing about 1 hour and everything was working fine. But then I set in options full screen and another, bigger resolution. After confirmation game crashed - window was too big to accept anything. Ok! no problem, I have repaired everything and launched game again. In this point there is result of my problem: screen turns black and system freezes after few seconds (I can notice this, because my music in background stops) so I have to reset computer. Funniest thing is that the game in safe mode works perfectly! Also after reconfiguration in safe mode game still crashes in normal mode. Reinstallation from build 17 to 16 doesn't work. I'm using Windows 7 32-bit. So anybody can understand what is wrong?

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-10-07, 13:29

Hello burchardtist,

this sounds kind of strange indeed. The easiest way to fix this would be to delete the widelands configuration file (should be somewehere in c:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\.widelands - file "config")

However it would of course be nice to find out, what actually went wrong. But I am kind of clueless. There should be a file named "stdout.txt" and maybe even "stderr.txt" somewhere on your system - maybe as well in c:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\.widelands . Those files log, what Widelands is doing. But both are rewritten at every restart of Widelands, so the content is only helpful, if you copy those files after a crash, without restarting widelands inbetween.

So if you find those files, could you please let widelands crash one more time (I dislike computer hard resets, but in case that it helps to improve Widelands ... face-wink.png ) and afterwards upload the files somewhere? or send them per mail to me?

Cheers

Nasenbaer

Top Quote