Latest Posts

Topic: change loading of animation

mr.x

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2012-04-04, 22:31

I am not a programmer so this is probably a huge task.

But i find the animation loading quite slow, is there something that can be done wth this in the long run? Shortening the loadtime, or moving it to startup backgound of menu. Or keeping it in memory so, you dont need to load more times?

Top Quote
Tino

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2012-04-05, 09:12

Hi mr.x, welcome to the forum!

We are aware of this, especially since chuckw produced hundreds of new animation frames and buildings in the last months. This will be one task of build18 i think. We are planning to ship widelands not with all the single pictures for every frame, but using some kind of archive files or media containers. This should speed up loading.

For now and the windows platform i can only suggest to install on a not too full ntfs partition (much faster than fat32) and give your virus scanner a chance to cache the scan results ( starting one or two games should do it).

Top Quote
alocritani

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2012-04-05, 12:54

Another think I found is that when using OpenGL rendering (default, at the moment) the loading is longer. this has been explained here

The strange think is that during most of loading phases the "loading animation" sentence is shown, so you could think that animation is taking longer, but it could be not the case.

Top Quote