Topic: Map questions

mxb2001
Topic Opener
Version: 1.1
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2019-06-11, 00:35

Well I've gone through a fair % of the maps and was wondering a few things:

a) In unbalanced maps is there a bias or favour built in for BLUE? I seem to have had a terrible time with unbalanced maps and I wonder if it is because of my love of the colour RED and choosing it instead of the default blue.

b) What makes a map "official"? Are they just the best maps or would it be worth while to try out more of the downloadable maps from the web site?

c) There are some maps for download that seem to match the official maps, are they the same? e.g. Nile

--
To Boldly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-06-11, 00:41

I don't know the first two, but I can answer

c) Some maps were made by individual players and uploaded on the site; there they were well received enough that they were included with the official version of the game.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-06-11, 07:29

mxb2001 wrote:

a) In unbalanced maps is there a bias or favour built in for BLUE? I seem to have had a terrible time with unbalanced maps and I wonder if it is because of my love of the colour RED and choosing it instead of the default blue.

Just a guess: Most people likely play blue when creating and testing their maps. I don't know face-smile.png

b) What makes a map "official"? Are they just the best maps or would it be worth while to try out more of the downloadable maps from the web site?

Yes, official maps are those which are shipped with the game. If you download a map and store it into the folder .widelands/maps it will be shown between the official maps. Checking 'Official' will filter them out.

c) There are some maps for download that seem to match the official maps, are they the same? e.g. Nile

We had a rework of the shipped maps 2 years (?) ago, and some maps available from the Website get into the game during this process. So yes, some maps are the same. Maybe we should remove them from the website?

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-06-12, 21:17

mxb2001 wrote:

b) What makes a map "official"?

I don't know

Are they just the best maps

no

or would it be worth while to try out more of the downloadable maps from the web site?

yes, but not most of them

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-06-14, 09:38

WorldSavior wrote:

mxb2001 wrote:

I don't know

When it's shipped with the game

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-06-15, 16:46

GunChleoc wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

mxb2001 wrote:

I don't know

When it's shipped with the game

Yes, I know. Looks for me like the question was why certain maps are shipped with the game and others aren't...

Top Quote
mxb2001
Topic Opener
Version: 1.1
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2019-06-15, 19:01

Ah I see there is some ambiguity about my question. No surprise, haha, I tend to ramble and am a horrible communicator like all INTP's face-smile.png

Clearly stated: Are the downloaded maps good to play on? Or should I stick to the official ones?

--
To Boldly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-06-15, 19:08

mxb2001 wrote:

Clearly stated: Are the downloaded maps good to play on?

As I said, many of them aren't, but some of them are. Just my opinions though...

Or should I stick to the official ones?

I wouldn't do that.

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-06-15, 20:43

mxb2001 wrote:

Clearly stated: Are the downloaded maps good to play on? Or should I stick to the official ones?

some of them are good, some are not. Some are intentionally difficult and they are intended as a challenge. For most, it's a matter of tastes.

Basically, the same as with any user-submitted content.

If I may shamelessly ship my own maps, I am particularly proud of my dolomites map (the first version got included in the officials, but I made an updated version later) and archipelago sea. Also of my solo challenge maps (which I stopped making because I couldn't think of anything else that I hadn't done already), but the way you describe yourself, I don't think you can try them yet.

Edited: 2019-06-15, 20:48

Top Quote
teppo

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2019-06-16, 10:16

king_of_nowhere wrote:

If I may shamelessly ship my own maps, I am particularly proud of my dolomites map (the first version got included in the officials, but I made an updated version later)

Does something prevent the updated version from becoming the official one?

The only reason I can think of is that it might take the savegame compatibility away, my guess it that even that would not happen. If the new version is an improvement, then it would be a disfavor not to upgrade the official Dolomites. Maybe you should open a ticket at launchpad?

Top Quote