Latest Posts

Topic: Lore

GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-03-05, 22:20

WorldSavior wrote:

GunChleoc wrote:

I also think that pursued -> hunted would sound more natural in English.

the original is "poisoned", so I've chosen "pursued" because it looks similar.

But no native speaker of English would ever say it that way. "pursued" is just French for "hunted", and the rules when to pick which are rather arbitrary. You don't "pursue" an animal unless you're Ahab hunting the white whale. If you just want to catch it so you can eat it, you "hunt" it.

What about "preyed"?

No, one cannot be "preyed". One can be "preyed upon" or "become prey", but these have different meanings.

Edited: 2019-03-05, 22:23

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-03-06, 18:26

hessenfarmer wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

I think that this depends on the species. And it's also a question of cultural perspective, as Atlanteans also don't eat horses or unsmoked fish.

The point from my perspective is Atlanteans don't eat horses due to their culture or taste but horses can be eaten. So a lore stating something technically wrong in an explizit way (i.e. Spiders cannot be eaten) somehow doesn't feel right to me.

Maybe the Atlantean spiders cannot be eaten actually, who knows.

How would it fit with spidercloth instead?

I prefer "spiders" because i think that its funnier.

From my perspective the fun comes from the clear reference to the Slogan of the 80's. I already imagined a fish breeder with a sticker of this Slogan attached to his back. For me thinking of eating Spiders isn't funny due to being not obscene.

One meaning of obscene is "disgusting", and probably most people think that it's disgusting to eat spiders.

And for the source I would suggest "prophecy of an old fish breeder", because prophecies are generally made by an individual.

This would be also okay. I searched a translation of the "Weissagung der Cree" and found only "Cree Indian prophecy", so I changed it to "Fish Breeder prohecy", to be as close as possible to the original.

According to Wikipedia this is a false cite anyhow. face-wink.png

Yes, but most people think that this is correct.

GunChleoc wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

GunChleoc wrote:

I also think that pursued -> hunted would sound more natural in English.

the original is "poisoned", so I've chosen "pursued" because it looks similar.

But no native speaker of English would ever say it that way. "pursued" is just French for "hunted", and the rules when to pick which are rather arbitrary. You don't "pursue" an animal unless you're Ahab hunting the white whale. If you just want to catch it so you can eat it, you "hunt" it.

Okay, no "pursued" then.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-03-26, 10:57

Okay, as I am going to start the Lore branch I'd like to see some agreemant on this.

So here is my next attempt.

"Only after the last deer has been shot down / Only after the last wisent has been put to death / Only after the last fish has been caught / Then will you find that spiders are not to be eaten."

-- Prophecy of the fishbreeders

„Erst wenn der letzte Hirsch geschossen, der letzte Elch getötet, der letzte Fisch gefangen ist, werdet Ihr merken, dass man Spinnen nicht essen soll/will.“

-- Weissagung der Fischzüchter

Would this be acceptable

Edited: 2019-03-26, 10:57

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-03-26, 11:12

hessenfarmer wrote:

Okay, as I am going to start the Lore branch I'd like to see some agreemant on this.

"Only after the last deer has been shot down / Only after the last wisent has been put to death / Only after the last fish has been caught / Then will you find that spiders are not to be eaten."

„Erst wenn der letzte Hirsch geschossen, der letzte Elch getötet, der letzte Fisch gefangen ist, werdet Ihr merken, dass man Spinnen nicht essen soll/will.“

Would this be acceptable

I like it and would vote for "Spinnen nicht essen will" instead of "Spinnen nicht essen soll/will"

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2019-03-26, 13:43

hessenfarmer wrote:

Would this be acceptable

If you wish to put an Elch to death, you should go for elk or moose. Wisent is Wisent in German. face-wink.png

And I would translate it with "…, dass man Spinnen nicht essen kann."

The rest I consider acceptable (to use your own word).

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-03-26, 14:31

Venatrix wrote:

hessenfarmer wrote:

Would this be acceptable

If you wish to put an Elch to death, you should go for elk or moose. Wisent is Wisent in German. face-wink.png

But "Wisent" hast not only one syllable like the "Baum" in the original, at the other hand "wisent" is more similar to "river" in the other original. That's the point...

And I would translate it with "…, dass man Spinnen nicht essen kann."

That would be better, yes

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2019-03-26, 15:02

I don’t think, we have to stay too close to the original to get the reference to the reader.

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-03-26, 21:39

Hi Venatrix, I used the expression " are not to be eaten" to avoid " can't be eaten" as discussed before in this thread. (technically Spiders should be a very good proteine source).
Therfore I would like ".. nicht essen soll" but i can live with " ... nicht essen will". I am still uncomfortable with ".. nicht essen kann".

@ worldsavior: In the branch there will be only the english version. translation is completely managed in transifex, so we should use the right word in english to be correctly translated, which in my case should be elk cause I added a syllable with put to death. (Fortunately with me and Venatrix the most active german translators are now in this thread so we can discuss the translation as well, but we need to consider all the other languages in WL)

So I would go for elk in the original to keep the "Elch" in German. and I would vote for " .. nicht essen will" in the translation which can only be done after the branch is merged into trunk.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-03-27, 17:56

Actually, Elch is "moose" in American English. I even have a open branch for this.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-04-06, 22:09

I now added it using "game" instead of wisent as it has the correct number of syllables in english and in german. Is this ok for everybody?

Top Quote