Latest Posts

Topic: tree planting locations

king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-05-02, 18:46

teppo wrote:

One bonus question: Should we also give the forester the ability to plant nearly-inpenetrable forests (=ones that never mature, and therefore acts as some sort of defence line)? Of course that would be "unnatural" if the aggressor would be unable to instruct his woodcutters to chop the no-log trees, too, but would add another aspect to the game.

the way tree growth works, this is basically impossible. if the odds are good, the tree will grow. if the odds are bad, the tree will die. if they are average, the tree has equal chances of growing or dieing. i haven't seen any case where a terrain encouraged trees to stay with middle growth, and i think it does not happen with the probabilities; simply, the chance of a tree neither growing nor dieing isn't that high.

sure, you can plant many foresters and still get a good cover, but nothing that a smart human cannot fix by planting flags as sooon as a spot is free. then you start connecting the flags with roads, and soon you have freed enough space to build what you want.

EDIT: I also think it's good that the "green wall" cannot be used as anything more than a delaying tactic. it wouldn't be good if there was a way to avoid attacks no matter how powerful one was. speaking of which, someone should teach the ai to make scouts when it cannot see the enemy military buildings.

Edited: 2016-05-02, 18:47

Top Quote
teppo

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2016-05-04, 18:40

king_of_nowhere wrote:

simply, the chance of a tree neither growing nor dieing isn't that high.

Sure. However, I have a feeling that a tree that has a poor change of growing, tends to spend a large amount of time in the phase where it both blocks flags/roads and is overlooked by lumberjacks.

If I am wrong, then just correct more clearly. I know that you pay lots of attention to details like this.

All trees eventually grow (or die). The defensive forester would just give a tougher challenge, but a determined neighbour would get through. Eternal walls would be bad in my opinion, too.

Edited: 2016-05-04, 20:05

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-05-04, 21:57

teppo wrote:

Sure. However, I have a feeling that a tree that has a poor change of growing, tends to spend a large amount of time in the phase where it both blocks flags/roads and is overlooked by lumberjacks.

If I am wrong, then just correct more clearly. I know that you pay lots of attention to details like this.

Actually, that's something i don't know well. i never made any effort to calculate the time. what i have experience in is planting trees on terrains with suboptimal growth chances, as part of some of my challenges. and i know that in those cases i may need 2 or 3 foresters for each woodcutter, but I can still put them relatively close. so, while trees will spend more time in the process of growth than in a fertile terrain, it can be surmised that it can't be that much more time. maye twice the time, but certainly not tenfold the time.

Top Quote
DragonAtma
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2016-05-05, 02:31

Permanent walls would not be good. If someone had enough resources, they could just completely wall themselves in, and then nobody would be able to wipe them out.

So I prefer sticking with Project Greenwall. It delays attackers (and if they're clueless enough, it could permanently delay them), but a determined opponent would get through it sooner or later. In addition, the more effort you work on delaying them, the more it helps their stockpiles, not yours.

Now, real walls (think Great Wall of China) which are built up by friendly masons and slowly damaged by enemy soldiers may one day be a thing, but even if that's OKed, it would *definitely* be version 20, 21, or later -- and we haven't even released version 19!

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-01-14, 10:44

Teppo has taken care of it and asks for testing. Windows users can can take one of this executables:

Please report any issues either here in this thread or on the merge proposal

Thanks face-smile.png

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
teppo

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2018-01-14, 13:01

kaputtnik wrote:

Please report any issues either here in this thread or on the merge proposal

In those builds, the foresters prefer good soil but occasionally plant on poor one, too. The amount of preference varies (Atlantean foresters are pickiest, barbarians laxest).

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-01-26, 09:46

kaputtnik wrote:

Teppo has taken care of it and asks for testing. Windows users can can take one of this executables:

Bump

New files available:

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote