Latest Posts

Topic: Warehouse Types:

staustelladam

Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2015-09-18, 20:41

I may have made mention of this idea in a previous post many years ago, but it would have been part of a long list of "wishes."

Different types of warehouses would make sense, because in the "real world" we have different types of warehouse. Specifically I was thinkig of a granary type warehouse, that only stored "food" products and nothing else, and leaving the original warehouses free to store everything else.

If I were to suggest "operation" I would allow for a list of ware types in the config file, so that players could determine their best type of edited storage buildings, especially if they wanted to create other types.

I think it would also be good if the production of people was detached from warehouses, and instead managed through a houses type building, and the production of people being a function of "feeding" the house.

This would prevent from having 100 people at a time, and again would allow for modding editors to create different types of houses that would be "fed" by new types of industries such as luxuries (honey to mead, cloth to clothes, wood to furniture, clay to pottery) etc.

I'm not suggesting these luxury industries are part of the main game, but I'm sure I'm not the only person adding industries to make my own games more diverse, and yes, I have the houses manufacturing people model in place ... but I can't fix the warehouse questions above.

Anyway, just some simple and reasonable considerations for tweaks to build 19.

Adam.

Top Quote
tuggyne

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2015-09-19, 00:13

Closest thing I can think of is the "casern"/barracks idea to split basic soldier recruitment off from warehouses into a new building. (Possibly allowing Headquarters to wrap that function as well.) Would be a good complement to that idea.

Top Quote
staustelladam

Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2015-09-19, 07:59

tuggyne wrote:

Closest thing I can think of is the "casern"/barracks idea to split basic soldier recruitment off from warehouses into a new building. (Possibly allowing Headquarters to wrap that function as well.) Would be a good complement to that idea.

Yes, that as well. All people should really be "produced" from some form of growth pattern, linked to resource use, and "recruitment" based on consumption is the best concept. As an addition to my earlier post, in build 16 I had made enough mods so that all my workers needed to eat and drink something "daily" before going about their tasks ... I say "before" ... it was more a case of nutrition and refreshment being a part of their productive day.

I love the way Widelands is put together since I started playing in build 11, with all the relevant config stuff kept in the folder of the unit/building it refers to ... allows for a lot of expansion and ideas testing ... as I don't do the coding side this is why I get confused and frustrated with the warehouse stuff ... I can't edit it or add to it. Not a dealbreaker, but it would be good to pull all that stuff into the warehouse tribe folder.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-09-19, 08:06

Configurable warehouse types would need some engine changes - we could have a look at this once the tribes have been merged, because then we have more easily read Lua Tables and no scary macros in the C++ code any more. Adding some switches will be easier then - or maybe a spawns_units table.

At the moment, you can add a cost to the carriers by editing the [buildcost] section in the carriers' conf files. You should then add some carriers to the headquarters in the starting conditions scripts in tribes/<tribe>/scripting.

Edited: 2015-09-19, 08:07

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote