Latest Posts

Topic: trees growing on port spaces

king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-09-09, 01:55

Ergo wrote:

Im not noobed, because I deliberately placed it there, I still think mountains should be No tree zone. There was no other place for foresters, every other place had buildings on it. Besides I wanted to run that forester at half capacity, planting trees only on green fertile areas, not on mountains. Trees on mountains die not as fast as a forester plants them - result trees overwhelming mountains.

That's exactly my point. You placed the forester there, expecting it to not plant trees on mountain, because you think it would not plant trees on mountain. But it does. That's how the game works. You should adapt your strategy to the game, rather than insisting that the game be adapted to your strategy. Sorry for the snappish answer, but I really did not like that attitude.

But ok, so it was not a mistake, you intentionally placed the forester there for half yield and it accidentallly filled the mountain where you want to make a mine. Simple solution: stop the forester for a few minutes, and most trees will have died. Then make the mines you want. If you want to make more mines in the future, build roads where you'll want to make mines, so the forester won't plant trees on roads and you can cut the roads when you want to make more mines. Then restart the forester. In fact, you may probably increase the yield of the forester by filling the mountain with roads, so the forester will only have fertile places to plant trees. that's what I do if i make a forester near a mountain.

By the way, I find it strange that a single forester can cover a mountain, because in my experience the plants on mountain die relatively fast. But admittedly, my experience on the matter comes from old version 7360 or what we were using in march. It is possible it was using different values. If it is recent enough, it is using my values for tree growth, and it is possible that they allow longer survival on mountains than before.

You playing that game or just writing on forum?

you can find some evidence of me playing by looking for my name here:

https://wl.widelands.org/news/2015/05/7/tournament-2015-final/

As a matter of fact, I do believe I am qualified to give advice in strategy for this game. I also tend to assume, if people come here saying they have problems with the game, that they need advice, and are probably asking for it. I try to be helpful, but people claiming that they should not change strategy but should instead change the game to adapt to their strategy are a berserker button of mine. Probably because ogame was totally ruined by the owners catering to noobs who instead of learning the game wanted a simpler game. In your case it wasn't even a mistake, it was a perfectly workable strategy, if only coupled with the little trick that i exxplained above.

Top Quote