Latest Posts

Topic: Zipped MinGW with all tools & libs

dfTruF
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2015-05-26, 22:11

Tino wrote: In my opinion is is gross negligent to download some code (e.g. widelands sources) from the internet and use it on Windows XP.

I don't think so, because we talk here about the game with simple graphics, in spirit suitable even for Amiga.

Top Quote
Tino

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-05-27, 08:37

Can you tell me what hardware performance or requirements have to do with security?

I am sorry, i am not sure how to say this diplomatically (I am no native english speaker): But I do not think you are qualified enough to get widelands compiling. You come here to ask for help, but you can't follow even one further link or read one web page and ignore every advice. That is not really polite.

Edited: 2015-05-27, 08:38

Top Quote
dfTruF
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2015-05-27, 09:49

> *Tino wrote:*
>
>You come here to ask for help, but you can't follow even one further link or read >one web page and ignore every advice. That is not really polite.

I've read every page with regard to building Widelands on Windows. I've started downloading libraries. Few links are broken (from those official pages) - and this is main, logical reason why I ask here for advice.
Is it not polite to know if versions of tools and libs are good for my case - Windows XP x86, 32 bits? If so, then I'm really sorry.

"Can you tell me what hardware performance or requirements have to do with security?" - I think that this is off topic question (security is more connected with coding style of game's and system's programmers, part of the code for specific platform, if there is need for such platform's individual routines).

Edited: 2015-05-27, 10:26

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-05-27, 10:15

dfTruF wrote:

Tino wrote:

In my opinion is is gross negligent to download some code (e.g. widelands sources) from the internet and use it on Windows XP.

I don't think so, because we talk here about the game with simple graphics, in spirit suitable even for Amiga.

It’s not about the game itself, besides that the graphics aren’t that simple. That statement was about downloading code from the internet and use it on WinXP. XP is not secure anymore, and you know that pretty well. Running code from who-knows-where on that system is more dangerous than on other systems. You can only take our words that the Widelands code is not malware, but who knows whether your computer isn’t already compromised and you really get the right code? I guess that sounds too extreme to you (who cares for your single computer…?), but you should always consider that.

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
dfTruF
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2015-05-27, 10:21

Venatrix wrote: XP is not secure anymore...

It is a matter of a patch. Besides, what system do You know, which is 100% secured?

Edited: 2015-05-27, 10:23

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-05-27, 10:38

There’s none, but some aren’t as secure as others and XP is still too wide spread to not to be a target of malware.

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
Tino

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-05-27, 12:35

dfTruF wrote:

Venatrix wrote: XP is not secure anymore...

It is a matter of a patch. Besides, what system do You know, which is 100% secured?

Ha, again: I is not a matter of a patch. There are no patches for XP anymore and have not been for over a year. Or are you a Microsoft Developer and have access to Window XP sources to write patches yourself? Then compiling widelands should be rather a trivial excercise...

Sorry, sometimes I can't help beeing sarcastic.

Again: We are using several modern Windows CRT API functions in widelands trunk. This means even if you get it to compile it won't run on Windows XP. The only way would be to revert several code changes that happened since Build18.

So, if you are not willing to update your OS we can't help you. If you are going to use a supported OS (Windows 7 or newer, any recent Linux Distribution or MacOS X), decide for a Compiler and Building Toolset, use online tutorials to learn how to compile code and libraries and compile all needed libs:

• SDL2, SDL_mixer, SDL_net, SDL_image, SDL_TTF and Boost.
  • Each of those has some dependencies on each other or more libraries. But this is out of our (widelands) scope. Up to this points all this has nothing to do with widelands and there a thousand better pages on these topics than the widelands forum/homepage

Then you are at point I am gladly willing to help you to figure out the final widelands compilation step. Using widelands cmake files and/or make and/or ninja. Or how to check out the widelands source code with bazaar.

Top Quote
dfTruF
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2015-05-27, 15:26

Tino wrote: We are using several modern Windows CRT API functions in widelands trunk. This means even if you get it to compile it won't run on Windows XP. The only way would be to revert several code changes that happened since Build18.

Which stable version of Widelands (as recent as possible) should compile on Windows XP, using available MinGW?

Edited: 2015-05-27, 15:33

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-05-27, 15:33

Stable? For sure Build-18. Newer (developement version) has many new features that will not work with WinXP.

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote