Topic: Compilation under linux minihelp

Tibor

Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-05-16, 21:00

fk wrote:

Tibor wrote:

dont bother with build18, there was so much changes since, that you changes could end up nontransferable to current trunk.

That is a loss for that trunk, not for my version.

But more people would profit from your changes if you make them in the trunk...

Top Quote
fk
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2015-05-16, 21:22

Tibor wrote:

But more people would profit from your changes if you make them in the trunk

We can't both work on the same AI, I guess, and I really don't like (pre) build19. It would also violate my policy of not upgrading whenever possible. I think that it is the best if I make a patch to build18 when I'm finished, I changed so few lines that it will explain itself.

Top Quote
Tibor

Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-05-16, 21:38

Yes, we can not work on the very same code, but we can define borders...

Complexity of AI went up since build18, and will keep growing so there is really a room for more developers....

Edited: 2015-05-16, 21:50

Top Quote
fk
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2015-05-17, 00:36

It was not my intention that this discussion would go in this direction. My initial comment was completely about compiling and it was actually not strange to ask for build18. It is still the latest official build and it can be assumed that many people want to compile it, for whatever reason.

From my point of view I would say that there were numerous requests from the community, things that I also wanted, like a stronger AI, less military sites that remained unoccupied, more smelting works and in my version these problems have been solved. In the build19 version the worlds have been merged so that a palm tree or a mushroom tree can appear in a northern landscape. The team has created a problem. I have read very complicated discussions about this and it made me shake my head. Another thing are the new colors for some buildings from which the red one is too dark and as a result unreadible. Then the font has been enlarged. But it was perhaps still not readable enough and the font has been replaced by a simplified font. How do you make things difficult. The tribe menu looked fine with rows and columns but there the font has also been enlarged. And then the texts didn't fit anymore and the page had to be restructured. I could get used to the new layout but it was still very cumbersome. Also the messages menu was changed and covered half of the screen. I am sorry to say these things because I understand that people are working hard on it. In the last version/trunk of the game that I played the enemies did not attack me once but burned down there own buildings. In the meantime the game kept yelling about the last hunter that I kept in order to catch the last animals, about grain and about trees. The player is not a fool and can see the statistics. And if the player is to lazy to do so than he or she should not expect a better output from the economy.

When I sum these things together then it is actually not me who drifted away from the game.

Edited: 2015-05-17, 00:38

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-05-17, 11:04

Of course, this is a FOSS game and you are welcome to fork it. This is the whole point of making the code free, that you can do with it what you want face-smile.png

Maybe you will like it better once we have finished producing Build 19 and the issues have been fixed - unless your changes are huge, maybe they can still be added to the game then. Of course, any help with fixing them now would be appreciated. A few of them won't fix though I guess - like the messages menu. It was enlarged to fit languages other than English - it contains a lot of short 1-word strings. Strings like that can become longer by up to 800% during translation if you're unlucky face-wink.png

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-05-22, 16:04

Hey!

I have created virtual machine with Ubuntu 14 (64bit) installed. It is VMware Player, latest version face-wink.png

Now I don't have any place where I can provide this file (2.21 GB file of whole disc), but if anyone has idea for that- I can do something face-smile.png

There is clear bash history + dev version of Widelands compiled as a test.

Requirements (can be changed before running the VM disc):

• 2 processors, 64bit
  • 2 GB of RAM
  • VMware player 11.0 (latest)
  • 15 GB of hard drive space (files after unpacking: <11GB)

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-05-24, 01:44

Now I do have some problems about my Ubuntu: after compiling every binary file of widelands has ~130 MB. It is ok, but... Whole folder has 2 GB! I've checked what is going on and there is a folder called "build" under widelands folder which has 1.6 GB! what is the folder including? Can I erase that data with no harm to debug version of Widelands?

~/Widelands/Test02-TiborAI/trainingsites_and_teams/build/

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
Tibor

Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-05-24, 18:32

I think build can be safely removed. You can first rename it and test if the game works without it.

Top Quote