Latest Posts

Topic: Widelands Tournament 2015

Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-05-08, 19:54

I think there are two issues - one is the '4:00:00' bug, but the bug fixed in 7455 is about statistics (graph) that you can invoke anytime from menu.

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-05-08, 20:41

I always read that tournaments are done to test new stuff, but it seems that we test but collects no outputs. And widelands even supports writing to log file natively.

If you are using linux, you can have a script containing line:

./widelands --logfile=/some/path/`date +%d%m_%H%M%S`.log

that would log to file named like: 0805_205737.log (DDMM_HHMMSS format). I mean everytime the logfile name will differ. You could have the script on screen and just double click it to run it. No manual input needed.

And the same could be done on windows I hope.

This should be done at 'host' instances of widelands (= 'servers'). First thing to figure out is whether host instances crash or keeps running. If it crashes, this would be more complicated, but if they just run, log files would say what is going on.

If it is a client that crashes - this is another problem, we can talk about this later...

So persons who host widelands should set up loging first to move on with the problem, I think :)
Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-05-08, 21:24

dershrimp wrote:

teppo wrote:

Do you know if the widelands executive crashed on one of the PC's, or players were disconnected because of network issues, or game stopped as a result of a desync?

I cannot tell you that, but I crashed 2 times and it was exactly at the moment when the status message about the points came in. (...) But I think it was different when cyber crashed later on. He crashed 3 or 4 times (...) So it wasn't the host machine either.

The behaviour of Widelands was like one of players was accidentialy disconnected. The game stopped and was waiting.

Once it happened to my Widelands.

But it was rather random than code desynch. Why? Because it happened to almost all players with no visible order.

For me the strangest thing is when my Widelands crushed and had no message about that. I don't like that.

It can be connected to different versions, but I remember that I've spotted the same behaviour before. About 50 dev versions before. Also tournament game face-wink.png

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-05-13, 06:51

Tibor wrote:

I think there are two issues - one is the '4:00:00' bug, but the bug fixed in 7455 is about statistics (graph) that you can invoke anytime from menu.

We think that Tibor fixed the '4:00:00' bug last night. If anybody should run into it again, please let us know.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote