Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: AI having multiple starting locations

PkK

Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2015-03-26, 21:00

In bzr 7435, I tried a game where I gave the AI two start locations (using the multiplayer start menu to give the start location of player white to Atlantean player pink). The first time (I watched as observer), I saw the AI expand, connect the two economies, and go on the become the strongest player. I liked that, so I tried it in a game, in which I participated, but this time the AI with two starting locations had a strong start, but then stagnated. It didn't even manage to link up. It has not done any battles, it is the weakest player.

What's the problem here?

Philipp

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-03-26, 21:32

Hi,

this is something that is not "supported"...

1.) AI has no understanding of "separate economies" - it does not try to connect them. If it connects them by change - fine, but no intend here...
2.) but what is worse is that - when planning and managing buildings it does takes into account that there are multiple economies. So f.e. if it has mines in one economy, it can hapilly build a smelting works in the second economy.

So AI would need to run in two autonomous threads. And it is not the case. I am not sure how difficult it could be to code, but it seems to me that there is no big demand for this feature.

But the easier part of it would to add some logic for interconnection of such separate economies (to affect placing of new military buildings).

Edited: 2015-03-26, 21:36

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-03-26, 22:24

[DELETED face-smile.png ]

Edited: 2015-03-26, 22:41

Top Quote