Latest Posts

Topic: Battle mechanics

Tino

Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-03-02, 17:25

Oh, come on, forget our game. I never expected to win...

I don't like the current battle mechanic:

• Player A attacks with x soldiers a military building from Player B which is defended by y soldiers.

• Player A cannot abort unless he has defeated y soldiers

• Player B can abort at (nearly) any point (the current 1:1 fight has to end) by destroying his military building

In my opinion this behavior should be changed to:

• The fight (attack) should continue until one Player has no soldiers left, independentely from the defending player's decision to rip the building or not

Top Quote
teppo

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-03-02, 17:45

I think the desert tournament map was made specifically with the idea that it is easier to defend than to attack.

Sure, but the need to micromanage a scout is annoying and "unwidelandish" nevertheless. If a small hut cannot acquire land, it is aware of the presence of an enemy building and should be able to attack (still IMO).

desert torunament has one minor balancing issue

With good players, the issue is not minor. However, that is not the point. If it is intentional that one needs a scout to be able to attack a castle from the small huts, then it should be, imo, possible to "autotrigger" an attack whenever the scout happens to cross an enemy military building. Or, alternatively, the player should be able to make a "blind attack", without knowing what is ahead.

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-03-02, 19:32

then it should be, imo, possible to "autotrigger" an attack whenever the scout happens to cross an enemy military building. Or, alternatively, the player should be able to make a "blind attack", without knowing what is ahead.

There is another, much easier thing: if the scout go nearby the military building, it should be visible for some time (something like 1-2 minutes?). Then you don't have to watch the spot all the time and you can play in much faster time-passing.

The idea for ending the fight while the building is desotroyed is interesting: the fight should end till "all the attacking soldiers" OR "one defending soldier" is dead. It should be easier to implement and not change many things in strategies and gameplay. Is it acceptable for you, Tino? You will be able to destroy building and save all the soldiers inside (while defending) and you will be able to kill one hero (while swarming on the enemy).

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-03-02, 19:36

@ tino: ok, sorry i got a bit snippish, I was wrongly feeling accused of playing unfairly. Still the point that I raised in the third message holds: the kind of change you ssuggested would require rebalancing all the soldiers, because it would make the higher level soldiers less strong. I'm not necessarily against it, but it would require lowering the cost of the higher level powerups.

@ teppo: I agree that it is a weakness of the scouts as they are designed. maybe if it was possible to program that where the scout passes remains visible for one minute, so that one wouldn't have to follow them every moment. I still like the idea that you need to make a scout hut before you can attack a fortress, because it gives better defensive possibilities and in widelands the defender has very few advantages. an addvantage to the defence allows the creation of an equilibrium between the players that i feel is needed to make the game intersting. otherwise, the players meet, attack, and the game ends immediately.

Top Quote
Mars

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2015-03-02, 22:31

I like the idea of scouts revealing the map for a longer time. Especially with more than 1.0 speed it is difficult to send more than one or two soldiers before the militarysite is unattackable again (and you have to wait for your soldiers to play the role of scouts again)

Regarding fully upgraded soldiers, I also think that some rebalancing might be reasonable. At the moment it is either fully trained or evasion trained. (btw: with an disadvantage for atlanteans. Barbarians and Empire have one building where training is cheap enough (only food, no ore) to train almost every soldier. If you than have the second training site full of weapons and armor, you automatically have a level 10 soldier. For atlanteans is much more cumbersome to habe the same soldier visit both dungeon (armor) and labyrinth (weapon) )

My proposal would be to increase the time for all operatings processing gold (e.g. gold mines, creating gold in smelting works, creating weapons/armor with gold, creating gold yearn). It is valued more than iron in collectors but is not really more expensive. If gold takes much longer to produce and process, it is still worth creating level 10 soldiers, but lower level soldiers would become more important as well. And maybe we would see more half trained soldiers and fully trained soldiers would really be rare for quite some time. At the moment, if you have the infrastructure to create one level 10 soldier, you can create one after another without much delay.

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-03-03, 01:20

@ atlantean upgrades: yes, getting fully trained atlantean soldiers is a real pain, while with other tribes it is easy if you have the resources. compensates the fact that they are stronger and cheaper.

Anyway, II found a decent way to get them too: 1) when you make the labirynth, send 4 soldiers in and do not send any golden tabard in it. if there are golden tabards, then the labirynth will give the soldiers the promotions evade 1 and hp 1 and send them out, and you don't want that. 2) now you 4 soldiers will get promoted, in turn they will all get evade 1. then the first one will get evade 2. now you can let the golden tabards in, and they will go to the soldiers with evade 2 as long as there is one of them 3) now you have a few soldiers with evade 2 and hp 1 who will go to the military sites. when you have the dungeon ready with one weapon per kind (recommended to reduce the nnumber of wares it can keep from 4 weapons per kind to 1, will make it faster to fill it), cut the roads to all your military buildings that have strong soldiers, then kick one of your level 3 soldiers out. it will then go to the warehouse 4) now get that soldier into the dungeon, by closing and reopening the dungeon until that one comes out. when it goes in the dungeon, you can remake the roads you cut. that will get you one soldier with attack 4, hp 1 and evade 2, which is almost as good as a fully promoted soldier.

to get a fully promoted one, let the armor smithy go and do nothing special about it. when you find a soldier with all the labirynth promotions, cut the roads, kick it out of the building, and send it to the dungeon.

Yes, much more annoying than with the other tribes, but it can be managed.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-03-03, 07:06

I think the idea with the scout is a good one, so I have opened a bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/1427531

I expect that we will need a small engine change for this.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote