Idle cycle

Edited: 2015-01-24, 03:19

I see little people.

Top Quote
Tino

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-01-24, 08:20

I just used the branch to see the animation cycle live, really nice! But i think the flag is still blocking too much of the animation (tavern) and building (big inn).

Not sure how to solve this, but you have invested so much work in the details that it should be fully visible.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-24, 10:34

Good work face-smile.png

Adding a window on the left because of the flag is a good idea.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-24, 15:19

I would say "take down the flag", but that has dire consequences. face-grin.png

I'll fiddle with things a little and get back to you.

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-24, 18:49

I have decided to flip the model horizontally and put the fire pit/hearth on the left of the image.

Like this flip

This way we keep the cooking animation in view. This is a little more involved than flipping a 2d graphic when dealing with 3d models and animation, so I'll be locked in my room for a little while. face-grin.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-24, 19:06

LGTM face-smile.png

I guess I'll see you when I see you face-tongue.png

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-29, 19:16

Here are the flipped (and tweaked) tavern, inn and big_inn:

I changed a few things.

1) the material of the thatch roofs and cooking hearth

2) Lightened the color of the barrels to help them stand out against the dark texture of the log walls

3) created different tables but kept the original texture as an homage to the original models.

4) tweaked some of the lighting and smoke animation.

..... idle: i

working: w

I'll push a branch for review and let you know when it is available.

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-29, 20:33

Pushed branch lp:~chuckw20/widelands/barb_tavern_inns for testing and merge.

I see little people.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-29, 22:16

I think there should be not so many playercolor sections on each building. There are the carriers and the flags that shows the playercolor. Where while gameplay are playercolors importand/usefull?

For the HQ and military buildings it could be importand, but i think on other buildings the playercolor could be minimized. Maybe one emblem on each building? If it is logical on the same place on each building it brings a bit tranquility to the arrangement. Just a thought face-smile.png

The flipped images look great face-smile.png

What tool do you use?

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-30, 02:25

kaputtnik wrote:

I think there should be not so many playercolor sections on each building. There are the carriers and the flags that shows the playercolor. Where while gameplay are playercolors importand/usefull?

Your point is valid and it would certainly save me some work face-wink.png and save on file space not to use player color on non-military buildings. (The use of player color necessitates creating a color mask file for each frame of animation or still.)

For the HQ and military buildings it could be importand, but i think on other buildings the playercolor could be minimized. Maybe one emblem on each building? If it is logical on the same place on each building it brings a bit tranquility to the arrangement. Just a thought face-smile.png

The fact that non-military buildings are destroyed rather than assimilated when their land is conquered sort of makes the branding with playercolors unessential. I'll consider reducing or completely removing the playercolor from the new models.

The flipped images look great face-smile.png

Thanks! face-smile.png

What tool do you use?

With the exception of terrain and roads, virtually all of the graphics on the gameboard, including immovables, animals, workers and buildings are first modeled in 3D and then 2D images are rendered from the 3D models. This facilitates animation greatly and the use of a standard rendering stage with fixed positions for the camera and lighting help to ensure a consistent viewing angle and shadows for all the various elements found on the map. The tool that is recommended for such graphic development in Widelands is an open source 3D graphics/animation tool called Blender. Blender is a very sophisticated tool that combines the tasks of modeling, texturing, animation, rendering and post-production compositing. Blender has been used to create CGI movies and even contains its own game engine (which we don't use). face-grin.png

I see little people.

Top Quote