Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Blender 2.5 Alpha2

chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2013-01-22, 22:47

Kiscsirke wrote: Wow, I dropped out of the site for a short while too, eh? Are you still here Chuck?

A question a lot of people ask about me. face-grin.png Yes, I'm still skulking around the WL universe but I've been resting on my laurels for so long they are getting flattened pretty badly... it's time I start earning my keep again. face-wink.png

Aaanyway, I did it! I added the rotation, made a script to change it in all the .blend files, and ran it. The results are here.

I will DEFINITELY check it out.

The python interface did indeed still change a bit since 2.57, but that only needed like 2-3 lines of change. This works with 2.65 now.

Excellent!!!

There were a few files I couldn't change, because they had external dependencies that weren't checked in to bzr. For example, Chuck, you didn't check in the textures like "\media\tribes\atlanteans\texture\00003.jpg" for the atlantean buildings, so most atlantean buildings are 1) missing their wood texture, 2) have the old script because I couldn't change them. Also two empire buildings missed files like "C:\home\alexiade\storage\widelands\empire_forester_1.png". But everything else worked, so for example all workers and animals and such!

Thanks for identifying the exceptions. I'll get things straightened out as soon as I can.

There were also some conversion messages displayed by blender, like "?????? Texture couldn't be updated, look in Help for how to do it", but I think that can be handled if those exact files are ever needed? So, anyway, sorry for the long absence, take a look and merge if you like. I'll try to stay present for a while here PS.: Also, sadly the file sizes also increased from the version conversion, my branch is now almost 5 GB (with the bzr extra), I don't know how that could be helped face-upset.png

Thank you SOOOOOOO MUCH! I'll dive into your stuff and report my progress in this forum thread. Now all I have to do is come up to speed with Blender 2.5+ and formulate a migration! face-grin.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
Kiscsirke
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2013-02-28, 23:42

Chuck? face-smile.png

I updated my branch with the ability to have several materials, they only have to all start their name with "PlayerColor", as we talked about in the other thread. The changes are still in my branch: https://code.launchpad.net/~csirkeee/widelands-media/blender_25

If you're having Bazaar trouble, feel free to ping me on google chat, and we can figure it out face-smile.png

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2013-03-01, 15:30

Andras... face-smile.png

I feel terrible for not getting back to you yet, my RL has been rather demanding of time lately. :-p

Thanks for the updates. They promise to add a great more flexibility in the application of PlayerColor. I will strive to take a good look at your branch in the VERY near future (read "this week").

As for Bazaar, the problem remains with my desktop hard drive, but I can use other peripherals fine. Thanks for your offer to help. I hope to address it soon, but at least I can function without it for now.

I see little people.

Top Quote
Kiscsirke
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2013-03-01, 16:31

Sorry, not meaning to harass you, take as much time as you like face-smile.png I can be over-enthusiastic whenever I myself have time to spend on this, then disappear for months, so I could hardly point a finger.

Top Quote
KittenKoder
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2013-04-04, 19:02

Seems I missed all the fun? Anyhow, if you need further help with Blender and Python, I have learned my way around the new API pretty well, I can always try to help.

If the sea claims it, it belongs to the sea. If the land claims it, it still belongs to the sea.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2013-04-04, 19:29

@KittenKoder - Thanks for your offer! face-smile.png As it stands at this very moment, I am in the process of pushing the newly converted media branch.

There is always the possibility of wanting a new script to help the animation process along. So keep your eyes open. I may just be calling on you. face-grin.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2013-04-04, 21:44

With bzr rev #174, the media branch is now converted for use by Blender 2.5+ The "BlenderPerspective" wiki page is being updated to reflect the changes in the script.

I see little people.

Top Quote
KittenKoder
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2013-04-04, 23:27

Something I have learned about the script is that a lot of it could be replaced with native Blender functions, working on a template .blend to demonstrate it, using the compositor and constant keyframes for the rotation and cyclic modifiers for the animations. Then using compositor nodes for the player color image. It's a technique I used when I was writing an isometric game, which I never completed because I am just not that good at writing graphics engines. Anyhow, if interested in a "how to do it without the script," let me know, and I'll post the link here for the template file.

If the sea claims it, it belongs to the sea. If the land claims it, it still belongs to the sea.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2013-04-05, 02:23

@KittenKoder - I'm always eager to learn more about Blender. My knowledge is primitive at best as much of our existing models reflect because I have literally learned what little I know the hard way out of necessity. Slogging in the trenches to attempt to fill the ever-expanding need for graphic content for the game, I've not taken an opportunity nor have I had the luxury to explore the full extent of Blender's features. So, if you are inclined to share your knowledge and skills, you will find me a receptive and appreciative audience. face-smile.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
KittenKoder
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2013-04-05, 23:29

chuckw wrote: @KittenKoder - I'm always eager to learn more about Blender. My knowledge is primitive at best as much of our existing models reflect because I have literally learned what little I know the hard way out of necessity. Slogging in the trenches to attempt to fill the ever-expanding need for graphic content for the game, I've not taken an opportunity nor have I had the luxury to explore the full extent of Blender's features. So, if you are inclined to share your knowledge and skills, you will find me a receptive and appreciative audience.

Great, once I finish the file I will post the link, made myself ill and my brain isn't still functioning 100%, remember to drink water with the coffee people, unless you enjoy passing out during a shopping trip. But yeah, it should all be able to be done.

Top Quote