Latest Posts

Topic: Difficulty levels

Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-02-29, 19:22

Well, I dont remember exactly, but I noticed that same crash happens also when lua file is broken in other way - except for syntax errors that are caught when game is launched.

But try this:

place_building_in_region(player, "empire_colosseum", sf:region(1), {
     wares = {
        empire_bread = 8,
        fish = 4,
        meat = 4,
     },
  })

change region to radius 1 so that it will inevitably fail

Generally I think it is ~ ready for merge, if there is a consensus over this. Of course it still needs some tinkering but I believe if this is merged the chances that somebody will tinker with values will be higher...

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-03-01, 06:55

Bug report for the crash ETA: and Merge Request

We still need a snappy name for it - I am not so happy with Headquarters (cheat), because you get more buildings than that. How about "Trading Outpost" or something like that?

Edited: 2016-03-01, 16:19

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-03-01, 19:24

Yes, I dont like that name either. Trading outpost would be fine, but it should be obvious that this is a cheat mode, I believe. What about 'Trading Outpost (cheat)' or something like this?

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-03-02, 08:45

How about we add tooltips to the starting conditions? If I translate "Trading Outpost (cheat)" = "Baile-malairt (cealgaireachd)", it won't fit on the button.

So, we would have:

• Headquarters: Start the game with your headquarters only
  • Fortified Village: Start the game with a fortified military installation
  • Trading Outpost: Never run out of important wares for long

The trading outposts also have military buildings in them - doesn't sound like trading to me. How about some economy buildings instead, like a toolsmith and a sawmill / wood hardener?

Edited: 2016-03-02, 08:49

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-03-02, 10:43

I am reading this topic for a while and I haven't got any new infromation, but now... little offtoppic face-tongue.png

In a short time I've finished wiki page about Single Player mode (help for options & ui). On that page are described starting conditions: https://wl.widelands.org/wiki/GameHelpSinglePlayer/#properties-of-a-player . You can see that barbarians have less buildings in Fortified Village than the other tribes. Are we going to change that? Why they have less buildings?

And to this topic: I agree that adding new starting condition is a good idea for that and making Trading Outpost will be currently good idea too. But for me adding info about cheating mode is one of priorities. Also the problem is about multiplayer. Are we going to allow players to use Cheat there? If yes, how can we provide info for basic players (who don't know this starting conditions) about it? I know that it is lots of things to discuss, but for me it is very important. face-smile.png

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-03-02, 10:54

Well, in almost every game where I've seen the multiplayer it is possible to set up penalties for some of the players, so I don't see why not. As long as they are clearly described.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-03-02, 12:47

In Multiplayer, the host can refuse to start the game if the players don't want to use cheat mode and one player as picked it. I think it's important to have it available in case a strong player (e.g. king of nowhere) wants to play against a newbie (e.g. me).

The information about the fortified village that you put in the wiki is not complete - this is due to a bug that we fixed today.

The actual buildings are:

• Barbarians:

1. Battle Arena
    2. Training Camp
    3. Helmsmithy
    4. Metal Workshop
    5. Ax Workshop - I think that should be a War Mill instead
    6. Wood Hardener
    7. Lime Kiln
  • Empire:

1. Colosseum
    2. Training Camp
    3. Armorsmithy
    4. Toolsmithy
    5. Weaponsmithy
    6. Sawmill
    7. Stonemason's House
  • Atlanteans:

1. Labyrinth
    2. Dungeon
    3. Armorsmithy
    4. Toolsmithy
    5. Weaponsmithy
    6. Sawmill

Thanks for doing the work on the Wiki - I will fix these entries now face-smile.png

Edited: 2016-03-02, 12:49

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-03-02, 20:11

Military site is there just to conquer additional space. But it is not absolutely necessary. And it is only medium sized building....

Additional productionsite is fine, but must be carefully picked to provide as big advantage as possible. I think if we merge it it will be enough for now, we can tweak it later - if somebody will be willing to spent a time on it...

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-03-03, 07:57

I still would like to de-empasize the military aspect here, so I left the tower in, but removed the trainingsites etc. We now have:

• Initial gold boost
  • Some low-level pre-trained soldiers
  • A toolsmithy
  • A hunter
  • A tower

The AI still takes off a lot better now than it used to with this. Of course, it might still need some balancing. I forgot about adding a wood hardener / sawmill - I will still do that, because the Barbarians get more out of the hunter than the other tribes if they build a gamekeeper. So, that should even things out a bit.

GunChleoc wrote:

• Headquarters: Start the game with your headquarters only
  • Fortified Village: Start the game with a fortified military installation
  • Trading Outpost: Never run out of important wares for long

Are we happy with these tooltips?

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-03-03, 11:31

GunChleoc wrote: I forgot about adding a wood hardener / sawmill

Careful with this. the barbarians start with some 80 logs, and they can afford to have a wood hardener at the beginning, but the atlanteans only have 20 logs. making a sawmill too early with atlanteans will slow you down in the best case, and make you runout of logs in the worst.

Top Quote