Latest Posts

Topic: trees growing on port spaces

GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-09-08, 07:05

This sounds like it might be a good solution - I have added your post to the bug as well.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Ergo
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2015-09-08, 13:46

You cant put a building on a small tree: 1. No building space. 2. The tree cant be cut, because its small and never will be big enough to cut. (terrain type not allows it to grow fully.)

It is just taking up space. It will die out in time, but the forester replaces it. It is an ever changing pattern of space taking.

Edited: 2015-09-08, 13:47

Hic regum sceptrum dominus tenet
orbisque habenas temperat
et volucrem currum stabilis regit
rerum coruscus arbiter.
-- Anicius Manlius Severinus Boethius

Top Quote
Ergo
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2015-09-08, 13:53

DragonAtma wrote:

On a side note, you can tell the foresters to prioritize spaces on how well trees go there. So if trees grow three times as well on plains as on mountains, then a forester would be three times as likely to plant a new tree on plains as on a mountain.

Prioritizing can be reduced to not put trees on mountain terrain because it takes space from mines. Same with port spaces. No tree zone.

Edited: 2015-09-08, 13:57

rerum coruscus arbiter.

Top Quote
Ergo
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2015-09-08, 14:07

einstein13 wrote:

• Use "barren steppe" from greenland (summer?) to make treeless beach in some places (Tibor used that in his last map as default coastline).

Why?

1. Barren steppe is completely barren now (less than 1% possibitily to grow a tree there)
  2. For human players it is recognizable type of terrain and they know where port space is (example: on the colonies map: https://wl.widelands.org/maps/colonies/)
  3. Texture for barren steppe is not very different to the beach or other sand-based terrains. It is different, but colors are very close to each other. So from graphic-point it is enough.

Better use Beach terrain, no tree grows there? I dont know that properties of the terrain, the Editor clearly not showing that.

Edited: 2015-09-08, 14:08

rerum coruscus arbiter.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-09-08, 16:13

Ergo wrote:

I dont know that properties of the terrain, the Editor clearly not showing that.

Yes that's a faulty on the current terrain menu. But trees (and their affinities with terrains) are a really(!) long story.

I don't understand you problem with trees on mountains. If you place foresters nearby mountains they couldn't work effective. So why do you? Placing a lumberjack would cut the trees anyway, so whats the problem?

I told my opinion but i will do this again: I like trees on mountains i want they growing good (some sorts). This will bring more possibilities to create incredible landscapes. You're right that trees wouldn't grow on rocks, but there is no description that widelands mountain terrains are rocks at all.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
Ergo
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2015-09-08, 17:10

Lumberjack doesnt cut trees because trees on mountains do not grow fully! They are small trees, not ripe. They taking up spaces from mines. Thats the problem. For that reason I cant put mines on mountains because small trees are taking space, and no mine building space on mountains cos there are small trees. Now you understand? The small trees will not grow fully, cos the mountain terrain do not allow that! Result: no spaces for mines, lumberjack can not cut small trees. Forester keeps putting trees on mountains, so there is a supply of fresh small trees even if they die out, and I never can put mines on that terrain.

Now you understand this is a bug.

My opinion is that mountains, port spaces, etc. should be No tree zone.

Why you can not see the problem of small trees that can not be cut by lumberjack and can not put mines on mountains because of that? You like economy without mines?

Trees on mountain terrain in WL do not grow fully, can not be cut by lumberjack because they are not fully grown, they are taking space and therefore I can not put mines there!

kaputtnik wrote:

Ergo wrote:

I dont know that properties of the terrain, the Editor clearly not showing that.

Yes that's a faulty on the current terrain menu. But trees (and their affinities with terrains) are a really(!) long story.

I don't understand you problem with trees on mountains. If you place foresters nearby mountains they couldn't work effective. So why do you? Placing a lumberjack would cut the trees anyway, so whats the problem?

I told my opinion but i will do this again: I like trees on mountains i want they growing good (some sorts). This will bring more possibilities to create incredible landscapes. You're right that trees wouldn't grow on rocks, but there is no description that widelands mountain terrains are rocks at all.

Edited: 2015-09-08, 17:21

rerum coruscus arbiter.

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-09-08, 18:24

Some time ago, I think it was possible to place buildings, flags and roads on trees in their first stage of growing. But that is not possible any more. I do not know why it was removed (maybe by accident). Maybe the problem was that the forester kept planting new trees over the old ones because he could, but that should be prevented in another way.

Since most trees on mountains die rather sooner than later, I assume most are in the first or second stage, so allowing the player to build mines on top of them might solve the problem (also for other ill-suited terrain, which can be used for port spaces).

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-09-08, 18:30

Ergo wrote:

So the foresters keep putting trees on mountain areas and I cant put mines on mountains because trees eating up space. I think mountain area could have the same property as desert and beach: treeless. Or I just whack the forester.

Well, if your foresters keep putting trees on mountains, it's not the game's problem, it's your. You noobed it by wrongly placing your foresters. In fact, if you claim you don't even have space for mines, then you did horribly wrong. For the following reasons.

1) Foresters place trees at random where they have free space. So they should not be put close to barren areas. If your foresters can plant trees on mountains in the first place, then you placed them poorly.

2) if they are placing so many trees on mountains then it means that you have no free space on the plains. So your foresters are placed horribly.

3) trees on mountains die fast. a mine has a range of 2, so it controls 19 spaces, and it only occupies 2 spaces itself (one for the mine, one for the flag). So, you can mine all the ores in the mountain if you have just 20% of free land. If you complain that the trees are stopping you from making mines, then either you want to make the mines too close (wrong) or you have so many foresters horribly placed that they are cluttering up all the mountains (wrong again).

4) Foresters can be stopped. They are doing no good anyway. Or, you could dismantle them and rebuild them in a better place, rather than trying to grow trees on mountains.

So, you are using a bad strategy. You put your foresters in the wrong place, then you filled up all the good land with buildings so those foresters have no free place to plant except on mountains, then you marvel because they are planting trees on mountains. You should learn a better strategy. You should not come here and ask that we change the game to make your bad strategy good. And you definitely should learn to use the edit button instead of making a post for every sentence, it makes reading the discussion much easier.

P.S. desert and beaches are treeless, but foresters will still attempt to plant trees there. You simply have to be smart in placing the foresters.

DragonAtma wrote:

On a side note, you can tell the foresters to prioritize spaces on how well trees go there. So if trees grow three times as well on plains as on mountains, then a forester would be three times as likely to plant a new tree on plains as on a mountain.

Problem with this is that we donì't know how likely the trees are to grow in certain places, at least not exactly. And then there is some randomness in the choice of the tree planted to further complicate matters.

Aside from that, I'd like your idea, except that I have the impression it makes the game too easy. You don't have to chop down a forest before building in it? May as well enable a single key that will automatically build your whole economy from a previously saved game. The way you adapt to those obstacles is part of the game.

Top Quote
Ergo
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2015-09-08, 18:33

Im not noobed, because I deliberately placed it there, I still think mountains should be No tree zone. There was no other place for foresters, every other place had buildings on it. Besides I wanted to run that forester at half capacity, planting trees only on green fertile areas, not on mountains. Trees on mountains die not as fast as a forester plants them - result trees overwhelming mountains. You playing that game or just writing on forum? Yes they can be stopped. I am using my own strategy, not worse than yours! I could say that you using the bad strategy too. You should learn too. Maybe I was too smart to wanted to run the forester at half capacity near the mountains.

Edited: 2015-09-08, 18:42

rerum coruscus arbiter.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-09-08, 19:30

Please calm down everybody face-wink.png

@Ergo: I guess you have been sounding to the others as if you were ignoring their advice. They are veterans at the game and have contributed to it, so you should listen to them, even if you don't share their opinion face-wink.png

What you could try for your strategy is to stop the forester until you have enough free space for your mines, build your mines, then start the forester again.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote