Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Widelands Tournament 2015

king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-05-02, 18:36

dershrimp wrote:

Hey, ok lets redirect our focus on the final now! I just noticed something that may be known, but I was not aware of that, so here is the thing: Wares that are in a port do not count for the points in the "collectors" mode! After playing a while I was asking myself why the AI players still have more points than me, but then I noticed that many of my weapons and armor where brought to the nearest port. So, keep that in mind face-smile.png

(to be fair)

huh, I checked and it's true. And then I remembered in the whynstein vs kuvastin whytrytfly had 0 points for a long time, which now is explained by the fact that he had stuff into a port.

I opened the replay of that game and checked the results. The official count was 1051+544=1595 for kuvastin, and 1180+219=1399 for whynstein. but then whytrytofly had 52 gold (3 points) 18 axes (2 points) and 1 sharp axe (3 points) in a port, which raised his total of 195, bringing the total to 1594 to 1595! So it seemed kuvastin still had won. Then I checked the other players too. einstein had 1 single gold into a port. both kuvastin players had no ports at all.

So, end result, whynstein should have actually won that game, for 1597 to 1595. And here I thought my game with juma was close!

However, I think it is too late now to calll for a remake.the semifinal has already been played, at some point you jjust have to accept that something wrong was made and move on. You can also rationalize it by saying that whynstein won with a very narrow margin against kuvastin, and juma won by a landslide against kuvastin, so juma would have probably won against whynstein too. Also, we defeated all the other teams easily except for juma, that was close enough that it can be called a draw, so if we have to play again with one of the other teams, it is fair that it is juma.

Although the easy victory against whynstein was mostly because I was using the micromanaging trick to get level 10 soldiers and they weren't expecting it. I would be curious to see how such a game would go now that they also know that strategy.

Anyway, let's look towards the final now. I expect kristin to declare the map and winning conditions soon - I'm still waiting for that to decide which tribe to use next. I will start contacting my teammate in the meanwhile. I expect to play sometime next week.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-05-02, 19:43

I have filed a bug, so we can fix this in the future

https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/1451069

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Mars

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2015-05-02, 20:19

The map is already known from the bracket:

Trident of Fire (Collectors) (blue, orange) vs. (green, yellow)

I remember from the last tournament having problems with ports on different sides of the starting position but it may be fixed by now. Last time the problem was that I had many busy ports on one side and when I started an expedition on the other side, no ship would approach the port because they all were busy and had closer ports to transport wares for.

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-05-02, 20:46

Mars wrote:

The map is already known from the bracket:

Trident of Fire (Collectors) (blue, orange) vs. (green, yellow)

it didn't show until a few hours ago, it was updated recently.

Well, I suppose it will be used as regular map and not as a scenario.

EDIT: The teams in the bracket are not suggested teams for the map. Is it an error or is it ok?

Edited: 2015-05-02, 20:52

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-05-03, 19:39

king_of_nowhere wrote:

whytrytfly had 0 points for a long time, which now is explained by the fact that he had stuff into a port.

It is not all the truth face-smile.png That was intentionally face-wink.png

You could see that for the first part of the game I didn't have any metalsmithy or such a things. From one point I made dozens of those buildings and started to create whole industry at once.

I opened the replay of that game and checked the results.(...) So, end result, whynstein should have actually won that game, for 1597 to 1595.

I didn't realized that we could win! face-smile.png I am glad to hear that and very happy about that. But as you mentioned, we can't re-play all the games. It will be only our satisfaction.

so juma would have probably won against whynstein too.

It is possible. But not sure face-wink.png The strategy for crossing the horizonts is different. Much different. But probably we would lost too face-wink.png

Although the easy victory against whynstein was mostly because I was using the micromanaging trick to get level 10 soldiers and they weren't expecting it.

Yes we wasn't expecting that. That was your first tournament game and we had no option to expect anything except casual game face-tongue.png

And to add one more thing about collectors mode:

For me, the points aren't balanced at all. On tournament game I've tried to find optimal strategy (Empire!) to have lots of points in a short time. That was easy for me: to produce only gold, helmets and basic spears. So I used:

• one coal and one gold ore to produce gold -> 3 points
  • one iron ore and two coals to produce helment -> 2 points
  • one wood plank to produce lance -> 1 point

So basicly I used only small number of ores to produce lots of points. It was strange to me, becuase for all the other weapons you use lots of ores, also valuable gold. In that game I proved that I could win with teppo with points, event that he begun to produce points long time before me.

I'm not sure if everything is clear, but in my opinion it should be tweaked too...

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-05-04, 09:00

I have fixed the bug with the ports not being counted.

Since fk made this useful table for us: https://wl.widelands.org/forum/topic/1713/

Would you have time to do the math to improve the points for collectors?

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-05-05, 19:28

Final game is now scheduled for wednesday 5 may at 20:00 CEST (18 UTC).

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-05-05, 19:39

king_of_nowhere wrote:

Final game is now scheduled for wednesday 5 may at 20:00 CEST (18 UTC).

Hmmm... Today is not wednesday and it is 5th of may. face-smile.png So which year? face-grin.png First match is wednesday 5 2021 face-tongue.png

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-05-05, 20:25

look, if I remember coorrectly, you are a programmer, which is a sort of engineer. And engineers know how to use experimental approximation. so you should figure out that the game will be played wednesday, which is approximately the 5th of may, for very big values of 5th face-smile.png Unless you are a mathematician, in which case wednesday 5 may 2021 is the proper interpretation

Top Quote
Kristin

Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2015-05-05, 21:48

Being used to approximate or uncorrect information (I am physician) I announce the game for wednesday May 6th until someone disagrees.
Have a good game!

Top Quote