Posted at: 2014-03-30, 23:00

Thanks, I've created a bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/1299919

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
teppo

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2014-04-02, 08:05

Is the translations -tool in launchpad still in use? I get constant timeouts when trying to open a template there.

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2014-04-02, 08:46

Yes, we still use that. I sometime get timeouts when I try to open the biggest category "Widelands". Did you try to open smaller ones? Reloading the page helps in most cases.

Edited: 2014-04-02, 08:47

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-04-03, 14:59

This is an issue with Launchpad - there is sometimes too much traffic on their servers, causing timeouts. If you are having a lot of problems, you might consider downloading a .po file and using Virtaal or Poedit to translate, then uploading your translations.

MiroslavR wrote:

GunChleoc wrote: A tree is mature when it can seed. A "pole" is what botanists call young trees that are bigger than a sapling. You can just use "young" or "small" if you don't have a special word for that.

Hmm, now that I think about it, we may have a word for just that. However, I've decided to leave these untranslated for the time being. Also, I can't use young because that would be understood as sapling.

How about "small", or a suffix meaning "small"? That's the way I went in my translation.

On another note, I've stumbled upon the "%i Material(s)" strings (in the help window). Considering that some materials are uncountable (and require an additional measure word), it may be a better idea to simply use "%i × Material" to keep the material name intact and short. It would also not be necessary to utilize ngettext that could be a burden for translators. What do you think?

I have thought about this some more and I think the best for now is to hold off on translating these. We are completely reprogramming the help files, and the strings might change anyway. I will probably go with "1x Log", "3x Stone" etc. in the end.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
teppo

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2014-04-04, 13:49

Did you try to open smaller ones?

Small ones are fine.

Reloading the page helps in most cases.

I have not been able to open template "widelands" (Finnish translation) a single time since these string changes started to roll.

If you are having a lot of problems, you might consider downloading a .po file and using Virtaal or Poedit to translate, then uploading your translations.

I will try that. Do the Virtaal and Poedit tools know how to upload, or should I know something? Are merge conflicts easy to handle?

Top Quote
MiroslavR

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2014-04-05, 14:24

Yeah, Launchpad's been acting strangely since the string changes, and that doesn't seem to affect other projects. Reloading the page a few times has always helped for me, though, including the Finnish "widelands" template.

teppo wrote: I will try that. Do the Virtaal and Poedit tools know how to upload, or should I know something? Are merge conflicts easy to handle?

Afaik, they don't directly support uploading to Launchpad. You must upload your translated .po file via the Launchpad web interface (select the related template and click "Upload translation"). Your file will be added to the import queue and should be processed within the next several hours. Conflicts will be displayed in the import message.

Edited: 2014-04-05, 14:38

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-04-07, 11:30

What MiroslavR said.

Download and upload will always work through the Launchpad interface.

When you upload a file, Launchpad will put it on an import queue and handle the merging. This usually takes a couple of hours.

I have had timeout issues with other projects as well, e.g. Ubuntu itself, so the string changes are not the reason for the problems. IMO Launchpad is lacking server resources, which is causing the timeouts.

Edited: 2014-04-07, 11:31

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-04-08, 18:36

MiroslavR wrote:

Original: In the south we caught sight of some guarded food infrastructures of Jomo - a younger warlord - we should take care about that infrastructures and cut of the food supply. Changed: In the south, we caught sight of some food infrastructures guarded by Jomo – a younger warlord – and we should take care of those infrastructures so we can take our cut of the food supply.

I believe the original meant cut off.

Sorry for the delay. I guess MiroslavR is correct concerning my intention of that sentence - although I have to admit I can't remember when I wrote that sentence ;). However normally you are not in need of wood at that part of the map expansion, while it is of course a good idea to cut off the enemy's connection between their headquarters and the forests. so cut off should be a better replacement of my typo.

Cheers,

Nasenbaer

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-04-09, 16:47

Thanks

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-05-27, 18:30

I have done substantial work on the help files for the buildings, and my branch will be merged soon. I recommend that everybody grab a copy of their translation for the 3 tribes, because there might be some slight changes in some of the strings, or similar new strings that you will translate much faster in an offline tool.

I'm grabbing a full translation archive just in case. Just contact me if you need any of your files.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote