WL Tournament 2012
We are proud to present the second Widelands tournament.
Its not only a competition, but also a celebration of what Widelands became in the last 11 years:
A highly detailed strategy game with plenty of different playing opportunities, many cute animations, graphics and sounds, translated (> 50% of all texts) in 18 languages, including 3 tribes, 4 worlds, an editor, several win conditions, a lot of maps and the possibility to play against the computer or other players. So lets celebrate this success of so many engaged graphic designers, translators, map creators and programmers!
Please post all your questions in the according forum thread.
Who can participate?
Its open for everyone: Developers, Casual Gamers, Fans, Followers. Everyone. Playing together is possible via internet or local network. As we want to play a double elimination tournament, the number of participants has to be a power of 2, so the first 2/4/8/16/32... registering players will be in. How big the tournament will be is determined by the number of players who sign up.
- Preliminaries during January an Februari 2012, Start at the Official Play Day on 28 January 2012.
- Final: TBA in week 9
- For fun!
- To go down into the annals of history as one of the participants of the second Widelands Tournament
How to register?
- per private message to Fopper: clicky
- with (nick)name and indication which tribe you play in the first game (Map: Last Bastion)
- until 21th January 2012.
The brackets can be found here: Bracket
- 1 vs. 1 with autocrat win conditions, Player combinations will be drawn randomly and presented here. If there are many registrations, this mode may be preceded by a group stage.
- Widelands build 16 or - if the two players agree - any newer developers snapshot
- Games are hosted by one of the two players or another person. To find someone, who hosts a game for 2 Windows players, ask in the IRC chat.
- After every game, both players send a private message to SirVer with
- I won! / I lost
- The winner has to send in a replay of the game (see next section for instructions). You will receive an email address to send the replay to. Please also add the version of the game (as it's important to watch the replays).
- indication which tribe you play in the next game (see next point)
- Playing which tribe? Your favorite! When you register, include which tribe you want to play in your first match. After the game, let SirVer know which tribe you want to play in your next match. This information will be passed to your opponent prior to the next game.
- Playing which map? For each game, there is a predetermined map.
- There will be 2 - 5 games per person. For every game, the players will have approx. one week.
Where do I find the replays I have to send in?
A replay consists of two files (a .wgf and a .wrpl); both must be sent in. Widelands saves those files into its replays directory automatically. You have to send both files via Mail to SirVer. Also include the version of widelands you played (the information in the bottom right corner in the main menu of widelands) as SirVer needs to use precisely this version to check the files.
To find the right replay: the naming of the replay is the date and time it was created + whether it was a multiplayer or single player game. If you are unsure, best run the replays via the replay menu in Widelands' main menu.
Replays are saved in the following places for the different operating systems:
In <userhomedir>\.widelands\replays where <userhomedir> is the Directory all user data is saved in (e.g. C:\User\Nasenbaer ). Zip the two corresponding files up and send them in.</userhomedir></userhomedir>
NOTE: this was written by a none windows developer, so if something is partly different, please feel invited, to fix the information
Mac OS X
~/.widelands/replays. This folder is hidden by default, access it via the
Open Folder menu item in the Finder (Keyboard shortcut is Shift+Cmd+G). Enter
~/.widelands/replays in the location bar and click the Ok button. Zip up the
two files of your game for easier sending.
In '~/.widelands/replays'. Zip the two corresponding files up and send them in.
Bracket & maps
The brackets can be found here: Bracket
- First round (games 1-4) will be played on the "Last Bastion" map.
- Second round (games 5-8) map: Crater.
- Third round (games 9-11) map: Glacier lake
- Fourth round (game 12) map: Golden Peninsula
- Fifth round (game 13) map: The path through the mountains
- Final map (game 14) map: Lake of tranquility
You can download the replays of the games already played:
- Game 1: Kristin vs. despatch_
- Game 2: no replay - game didn't take place for time reasons
- Game 3: g41 vs. ivh
- Game 4: hjd_ vs. PkK
- Game 5: Kristin vs. ixprefect
- Game 6: ivh vs. PkK
- Game 7 and game 8 were not played
- Game 9 was not played.
- Game 10: despatch vs. PkK
- Game 11: hjd vs. Kristin
- Game 12: PkK vs. Kristin
- Game 13: Kristin vs. ixprefect
- Game 14: ixprefect vs. ivh
Make sure to have the same game version (Build 16 unless otherwise indicated) as the replay to watch them.