WL Tournament 2010
We are proud to present the first Widelands tournament ever : it will take place 20th September till the end of October.
Its not only a competition, but also a celebration of what Widelands became in the last 9 years:
A highly detailed strategy game with plenty of different playing opportunities, many cute animations, graphics and sounds, translated (> 50% of all texts) in 18 languages, including 3 tribes, 4 worlds, an editor, (in near future: several win conditions), a lot of maps and the possibility to play against the computer or other players. So lets celebrate this success of so many engaged graphic designers, translators, map creators and programmers!
Please post all your questions in the according forum thread.
Who can participate?
Its open for everyone: Developers, Casual Gamers, Fans, Followers. Everyone. Playing together is possible via internet or local network. The final game takes place the week-end of the WihackTwentyTenReloaded (30th october), but you dont have to be present there to win :-). As we want to play a double elimination tournament, the number of participants has to be a power of 2, so the first 2/4/8/16/32... registering players will be in. How big the tournament will be is determined by the number of players who sign up.
- Preliminaries during October 2010
- Final: Saturday, 30th October 2010
- For fun!
- To go down into the annals of history as one of the participants of the first Widelands Tournament ever
- To have the chance to get a unique WL-Winner-T-Shirt.
How to register?
- per private message to Kristin: clicky
- with (nick)name and indication which tribe you play in the first game
- until 19th September 2010 (thats soon, but otherwise we can't do all games until the WihackTwentyTenReloaded).
The brackets (who is playing who) will be presented here after the end of the registration period.
- 1 vs. 1, Player combinations will be drawn randomly and presented here. If there are many registrations, this mode may be preceded by a group stage.
- Widelands build 15 or - if the two players agree - any newer developers snapshot
- Games are hosted by one of the two players or another person. Due to a bug in build 15 for Windows, a Windows player cannot host games. To find someone, who hosts a game for 2 Windows players, ask in the IRC chat.
- After every game, both players send a private message to Kristin with
- I won! / I lost
- indication which tribe he plays in the next game.
- The winner has to send in a replay of the game (see next section for instructions). You will receive an email address to send the replay to. Please also add the version of the game (as it's important to watch the replays).
- Also include which tribe you want to play in the next match (see next point)
- Playing which tribe? Your favorite! When you register, include which tribe you want to play in your first match. After the game, let Kristin know which tribe you want to play in your next match. So its determined, but secret until the start of the next game.
- Playing which map? For each game, there is a predetermined map. For the first game, its Glacier Lake.
- There will be 2 - 8 games per person. For every game, the players will have approx. one week. Exceptions is Final which should take place 31st of October.
Where do I find the replays I have to send in?
A replay consists of two files (a .wgf and a .wrpl); both must be sent in. Widelands saves those files into its replays directory automatically. You have to send both files via Mail to Kristin. Also include the version of widelands you played (the information in the bottom right corner in the main menu of widelands) as Kristin needs to use precisely this version to check the files.
To find the right replay: the naming of the replay is the date and time it was created + whether it was a multiplayer or single player game. If you are unsure, best run the replays via the replay menu in Widelands' main menu.
Replays are saved in the following places for the different operating systems:
In <userhomedir>\.widelands\replays where <userhomedir> is the Directory all user data is saved in (e.g. C:\User\Nasenbaer ). Zip the two corresponding files up and send them in.
NOTE: this was written by a none windows developer, so if something is partly different, please feel invited, to fix the information
Mac OS X
~/.widelands/replays. This folder is hidden by default, access it via the
Open Folder menu item in the Finder (Keyboard shortcut is Shift+Cmd+G). Enter
~/.widelands/replays in the location bar and click the Ok button. Zip up the
two files of your game for easier sending.
In '~/.widelands/replays'. Zip the two corresponding files up and send them in.
You find the actual player's combinations here:
You can download the replays of the games already played:
- Game 1: Nasenbaer (red, Atlanteans) VS _aD (blue, Empire) (r5518)
- Game 2: ivh (blue, Atlanteans) VS Fopper (red, Barbarians) (r5522)
- Game 3: Tmk (blue, Atlanteans) VS Gannaf (red, Empire) (r5522)
- Game 4: SirVer (red, Empire) VS McMad2nd (blue, Atlanteans) (r5518)
- Game 5: Nasenbaer (blue, Atlanteans) VS ivh (red, Atlanteans) (r5560)
- Game 6: Tmk (blue, Atlanteans) VS SirVer (red, Empire) (r5556)
- Game 7: ivh (blue, Atlanteans) VS Sirver (red, Empire) (r5599)
- Game 8: ivh (blue, Empire) VS Sirver (red, Empire) (r5618)
- Game 9: Fopper (blue, Barbarians) VS _aD (red, Empire) (build15)
- Game 10: McMad2nd (blue, Atlanteans) VS Gannaf (red, Empire) (r5518)
- Game 11: Fopper (blue, Barbarians) VS Nasenbaer (red, Atlanteans) (r5582)
- Game 12: McMad2nd VS Tmk: unfortunately, the game didn't take place and Tmk has surrendered.
- Game 13: Fopper (blue, Barbarians) VS McMad2nd (red, Atlanteans) (r5571)
- Game 14: SirVer (blue, Empire) VS Fopper (red, Barbarians) (r5603)
Make sure to have the same game version (shown in brackets) as the replay to watch them.
20th september 2010
- As there are 8 participants now, and I consider it quite improbable (although not impossible) that there are 8 more registering today, I publish the player's combinations right now. You find the bracket here.
It also shows
- the player's playing positions (blue, red)
- the time intervals (10 days for preliminaries, 1 for the final)
- and the maps.
You see that it's a double elimination as announced, so even after one lost the first game, he gets another chance in the looser's bracket and may be the winner in the end.
- If you play a developer's snapshot please choose the win condition "endless game". The game ends when one player gives up.
- The replays of the games will be uploaded and links will be posted on this page so that others can watch the games and players may have the chance to learn from their own and other replays.
- Be sure to make autosaves (e.g. all 5 min) while playing. So you may return to the last autosave in case of desyncs. There may be a problem with scouts, but that's only speculation.
- Another important thing: the two players have to use the same version of the game.
- I wish you good luck and a lot of fun in playing Widelands!
21st october 2010
- As game 12 cannot take place in the predicted time interval, it will be played on 24th october. This is in consensus with all affected players.
- Only 4 games to be played before the final!
30th october 2010
- The first Widelands tournament has just been finished by an exciting game between ivh and SirVer, both playing empire. And ivh is the winner! Congratulations!