Latest Posts

Topic: New Port Buildings

chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-11, 16:07

Thank you both for your comments and observations.

PkK wrote: I disagree a bit about the piles: I think they should be wood for all tribes: Such piles are driven into the ground. Stone is much more likely to break when attempting to do that. AFAIK wood was used exclusively for such purposes until the late 19th / early 20th century, when concrete piles became feasible (either premade from reinforced concrete, for soft ground only - even those are more likely to break than wooden ones - or the concrete is poured into a steel piepe that was rammed into the ground before). However wood rots when exposed to varying tide, and thus both water and air. Therefore, often used wood piles that always remained underwater and supported stone pillars above were used. However these upper stone pillars were AFAIK much wider, more like those we see in stone bridges. Philipp

Point well taken regarding the use of wood piles. I thought I would set the empire apart from the other tribes with the use of a different material. AFAIK the Romans are credited with the first use of hydraulic cement and that persuaded me to make them masonry pillars (not marble face-wink.png ).

However, if it is too much an affront to one's sensibilities, they are easily changed to a wood material. With just a couple days before the feature freeze, my first priority is a build sequence for the Atlantean port. If time allows once that is complete, I will address the Empire's piles.

Thanks again for your continued support.
Cheers!

I see little people.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-11, 17:40

I like the stone pillers! I really feel the ports are quite distinct and recognizable, and that is a good thing.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-11, 17:55

I think I can find a good solution for the Empire port piles that will please everyone. We will just have to see. face-wink.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-11, 18:11

How to Build an Atlantean Building?

Okay, folks, back to this atlantean port. Off hand, I don't think we have build sequences for any building that has the masonry-like material found in the military buildings. The port has some of that. I would like to set the right precedent in presenting its use in construction.
port

What IS that stuff do you think? Stucco? Adobe? Sod?

The design of the Atlantean architecture lends itself to some imaginative approaches to its construction. This is a mysterious and mystical (as well as mythical) people. Any suggestions on HOW they went about constructing the port?

Let me know QUICKLY, please. face-smile.png

Edited: 2012-03-11, 18:12

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-11, 18:25

The build cost is listed as follows: trunk=3 planks=3 stone=4 diamond=1 quartz=1 spidercloth=3 gold=2

I would like to show how each item in the list plays a part in the construction.

How would the diamond, quartz, gold and spidercloth be utilized? The quartz and possibly diamond for the window "crystalglass" perhaps.

Any ideas?

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-11, 19:47

I'm going to try a mud and lath wall with a spidercloth matrix for "strength". matrix wall

I see little people.

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-11, 21:59

You're misunderstood me, PkK
I was asking to not have them as marble columns.
Wood is fine with me. Oak probably....
Background is, that I am known to complain about "too much marble needed" for the Empire, whenever I can face-smile.png
So this was a sort of joke.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-11, 22:04

A use for atlantean gold:

apg

Maybe. face-wink.png

What do you think of exposing the lath in the walls like this? I changed the decking from logs to planks to account for that build ware.

Edited: 2012-03-11, 22:07

I see little people.

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-11, 22:07

Chuck,
Hard question, nobody knows what is is.
My assumption, "clay reinforced with spidersilk"?

I guess planks look better than logs... and give a smoother surface.

Edited: 2012-03-11, 22:10

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-12, 05:14

Atlantean Port Building Build Sequence

I have pushed the following build animation to trunk in rev #6308.
b0 b1 b2 b3

I have tried to convey the idea that the Atlanteans used the spidercloth in combination with wood lath posts and mud daubing as a component of the wall and roof construction. Who knows what powers of strength and resilience such a material might have? I've tried to make it appear silky and translucent, sort of a semitransparent kevlar. face-smile.png

To add a little more mystery to the "atlantean science", I added revolving player color crystals at the corner stanchions on the pier. I also bumped up the specularity of the player color in an attempt to enhance the shiny hardness of the crystals. It looks promising in these shots, but it doesn't translate well when the masks are applied in the game engine. Ah, well... live and learn.

So I have found a use for just about everything in the build cost list except for the stone. (Maybe they grind it up with the crystals to make the mud daubing. face-smile-big.png

Well, anyway, here is the Atlantean port as it now appears:
Hope you like it.

As I worked on this Atlantean building, I considered adding the element of fire somehow to harken back to the story of Princess Jundlina and her turn from worshiping the sea god to following the god of fire. I think we really should play that up more.

I turn my attention back to the Empire port piles. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Edited: 2012-03-12, 05:32

I see little people.

Top Quote