Latest Posts

Topic: New Port Buildings

SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-08, 11:18

awesome! You are moving so fast when you're in the flow, chuck! It really is incredible.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-08, 15:13

Okay then. Port #1B it will be. Look for it coming to a push near you soon. face-grin.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-08, 16:59

Barbarian Port Building - FINAL

I have pushed the new port to trunk in bzr rev #6290.

I just couldn't help myself from a couple more "tweaks". face-wink.png

Astuur, here is your BIG image of the final result:
bpfinal

• stretched the flags a bit and adjusted their pattern
  • enlarged the fire just a little and
  • made it smokey face-smile.png

Oh, and did I mention that it is now animated? Well, I couldn't just let the smoke hover in mid-air. It's unhealthy! face-grin.png

Now let's see about pumping up the other two ports a bit...

I see little people.

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-08, 19:34

Ah ... thanks for the picure, Chuck! face-smile.png

I have one little suggestion only:
That is about the south-west wall.
Since the lighting is the way it is, we don't have a shadow there,
and upper floor is not clearly set apart from the ground floor.
I think it may give a little more 3d impression, if we had some
clear line there.
You could emphasize the supporting beams somehow,
or place an especially thick trunk at the base of the upper floor.
or, you could use masonry for the whole ground floor
The last alternative would be the most logical.
You don't want wood at the base of a building so close to the water.
Every springtide could ruin it.
I guess the material from the encircling wall will look good for the
ground floor, too.
Worth a try?

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-09, 02:16

Empire Port Building - FINAL

The new expanded port building for the empire tribe has been pushed to trunk in bzr rev #6294.

I had to abandon the crenelated wall to get the building up to a good size. The hot spot in our building spaces (where the carriers drop off the wares) makes some concessions necessary and is always a factor in the building layout.

For you detail hounds;), here is a 400x400 image to munch on:
epfinal

If you can't wait for Tino's next build :), here are the images in game size (Use a Hot Spot of 76 96):
port_i_00.png idle port_i_00_pc.png eppc and the menu.png menu

Isn't it amazing what just a little more space can provide? I really got a kick out of modeling the cranes. face-smile-big.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-09, 06:38

Atlantean Port Building - FINAL

The new expanded port building for the atlantean tribe has been pushed to trunk in bzr rev #6295.

Not as cluttered as the empire port, but has an interesting animation. face-wink.png

Here is the 400x400:
AP

And here are the game-size, Hot Spot 74 72:
port_i_00.png i port_i_00_pc.png ipc and the menu.png m

Now to tackle the build animation and maybe throw some mortar on the barbarian port. face-wink.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-10, 02:49

Build Sequence for Barbarian Port

The animation is completed for the Barbarian Port and pushed to trunk with bzr rev #6302!!! face-smile-big.png

I must confess that I "tweaked" the look a little bit more. face-smile.png

• Changed the ground plate to match the strand_00.png texture in the game. Hey, it is beach sand, so why not? It improves contrast, too.
  • I put mortar between the logs on the ground floor and added a stone foundation.
  • Lastly, I altered the ends of the logs on the upper floors to look more like they were cut with an axe. The clean, straight ends are just not logical.

Here are the build sequence frames for those who just can't wait to see them in the game: ;) b0 b1 b2 b3

And for those whose fine-toothed combs need some use, here is a 400x400 of the FINAL Final design. face-grin.png 400

With that, I put this building (and me) to bed. face-smile-big.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-10, 05:01

Build Sequence for Empire Port

The new build sequence animation for the Empire Port Building has been pushed to the trunk with bzr rev #6303.

Here are the 4 frames of the build sequence:
b0 b1 b2 b3

Hope you enjoy them.

One more to go!!...

I see little people.

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-11, 09:14

Chuck, that's truly great stuff! I've already seen a few examples of what you do,
but you're really improving with each new model. Nice idea, these pillar-supported foundations; Hope you're not asking for marble columns there face-smile.png

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
PkK

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2012-03-11, 11:29

Astuur wrote: Chuck, that's truly great stuff! I've already seen a few examples of what you do, but you're really improving with each new model. Nice idea, these pillar-supported foundations; Hope you're not asking for marble columns there

I disagree a bit about the piles: I think they should be wood for all tribes: Such piles are driven into the ground. Stone is much more likely to break when attempting to do that. AFAIK wood was used exclusively for such purposes until the late 19th / early 20th century, when concrete piles became feasible (either premade from reinforced concrete, for soft ground only - even those are more likely to break than wooden ones - or the concrete is poured into a steel piepe that was rammed into the ground before).

However wood rots when exposed to varying tide, and thus both water and air. Therefore, often used wood piles that always remained underwater and supported stone pillars above were used. However these upper stone pillars were AFAIK much wider, more like those we see in stone bridges.

Philipp

Top Quote