Latest Posts

Topic: The Wiki, its current state and the future

Lars_Krimi

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-04-18, 19:30

I had a look through all the pages currently in the Wiki today, I made only aesthetic changes (such as making headlines decrease logically in size) and a few syntax errors (updating old tables to new kind and fixing bulletpoints etc).

This gave me a good look at the current state of the Wiki.

I have been told that some sites are yet to be moved from the old Wiki to the new, but as the full list of sites in the Wiki is not ordered alphabetically I gave up on finding out which.

Currently the Wiki is slightly confusing and many pages needs to be updated, moved, changed, maybe even deleted.

It seem to lack a general structure and an idea of what exactly should be in the Wiki.

As I have already thought a bit about how to possibly make the Wiki less confusing and more usable I thought that it was time hear from the guys in charge: What is the purpose of the Wiki?

Should it act as a sort of online manual for the game?

and/or

Should it contain detailed information for developers on how to develop the game?

and/or

Describe the games history, both in game stories and development history?

and/or

Describe how ppl can help development, both in game and homepage wise?

and/or

Describe how the editor works, an online manual to the editor?

and/or

Many other things?

In short, what should it contain?

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2009-04-18, 21:14

Hi,

This is not an easy question. Imho the wiki should contain help for the game (for the users). This includes editor, basic gameplay and tribe help (the stuff that can't be autogenerated). It should also be the place for references for content developers, though most of this information should also be autogenerated someday.

It should not be the place for discussion of game features (that is: code).

That's only my 2c. I'd like to hear other opinions.

!Sirver

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2009-04-18, 22:52

Well at least I would say yes to:

Should it act as a sort of online manual for the game?

and/or

Should it contain detailed information for developers on how to develop the game?

and/or

Describe the games history, both in game stories and development history?

and/or

Describe how ppl can help development, both in game and homepage wise?

and/or

Describe how the editor works, an online manual to the editor?

perhaps even more

in the old wiki we had categories, which made it much easier to navigate - so there was a category "game help" , a category "editor help", "editor tutorial", "widelands campaign stories" .....

Perhaps that would be a feature that would be useful to reimplement in some time

Top Quote
Lars_Krimi

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-04-19, 12:35

Nasenbaer

That was exactly one of the main things I would like to change about the Wiki, categories would be a nice help.

If the answer is Yes to all those questions, well... then I think if I want to use my, currently massive, sparetime to edit the Wiki, then I've got my work cut out for me.

I would very much like to hear other ppl's opinion on what to change. I recall for example that SirVer said that an online help system for buildings and wares is currently being build and so there was no point in writing help for that... bu if the Wiki should contain this info, where is the online help site so at least the wiki can link to it?

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2009-04-19, 13:02

There are already some links, for example on the BarbariansPage, the links to Wares and Buildings go to a autogenerated help.

Cheers, !SirVer

Top Quote
Ex-Member
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2009-04-19, 13:39

As !SirVer said, links are already included. The pages are /help/[1]/[2]/, where [1] is the name of tribe and [2] is either wares/buildings.

There are also graphs - go to /help/.../[3]/, where [3] is the building's name, like fishers_hut. Under names and images, there are links to those graphs, try these yourself.

Top Quote