Latest Posts

Topic: Clarification on some terms

alocritani

Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2012-01-09, 12:48

Hi, a very simple question regarding the name of the barbarian building that produces tools:

it is indicated like "metalwork shop", so a shop of metalworks, but it can also been considered a "metal workshop", so a place where tools are produced, not sold.

Which one is the correct one? metalwork shop or metal workshop?

Looking at the graphics (and the idea of producing tool) I think it should be "metal workshop".

What do you think?

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2012-01-09, 15:31

Up to now, its name is "metalwork shop". But as the wares aren't sold there (the carriers pay nothing, do they?), but only produced and then stored in a warehouse, I think "shop" is definitly the wrong word. I think it should be changed, although I don't know if many players care about it. But I'm also not English, so maybe an English native speaker (or someone who speaks it very well) should decide.

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote
Personal_Joke

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2012-01-10, 02:39

Alocritani is right: the "metalwork shop" produces/manufactures/crafts tools. It doesn't sell them exactly, just produces them. But then a "metal workshop" could simply be a workshop made of metal. So maybe going by this logic it should be called "metalwork workshop"? Or renamed to something like "toolsmithy" which is like a "blacksmith" which produces tools?

Although I think the name is understood enough as it is, "metal workshop" probably makes a bit more sense.

Edited: 2012-01-10, 02:51

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2012-01-11, 07:43

I agree with personal_joke: metal workshop is (with much thinking, but not every player will do that) misunderstandable. Maybe it should be renamed to "toolsmithy" because that's the other tribes' name of the equivalent building. The question is however if this is not a step towards a unification of the tribes. I like a bit a difference between them; it shows simply that the Barbarians are not so well-structured as the other tribes. So I think the name should only be changed to "metal workshop".

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote
alocritani

Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2012-01-12, 12:54

changing the name to "metal workshop" will probably lead to the same problem I found when thinking about another change (now rejected).

What do you think? Is this change worth the effort of keeping translations? or can we simply loose those translations?

Top Quote