Latest Posts

Topic: Barbarian Trainingscamp Remodel

chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-09-19, 19:35

I have pushed larger idle files for the axes to my personal branch.
Here is an example of the felling axe:
big axe

Hot spots may still have to be adjusted.

Try 'em out, everybody, and let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-09-19, 21:38

Warhelmet: Here are shots of the latest warhelmet and mask.
mask: mask warhelmet warhelm
The warhelmet is shown straight on to get the full mask. Unfortunately, even though I flared the wings out from the sides, they aren't that noticeable. I'll work up another version or two from different angles.

Comments?

I really would like to get back to the trainingscamp soon. face-wink.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-09-19, 22:29

I THINK I have the warhelmet pretty well finished here:
warhelm7
It has been pushed to my personal branch if you wish to take it for a spin, too. face-smile.png

As always, I'd like to hear your comments.

I see little people.

Top Quote
hjd

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2011-09-19, 23:07

I haven't tried them in the game yet, but I like the new axes. Though, the felling axe and broad axe probably look a bit too similar, so currently they won't be easy to tell apart. (For those who doesn't remember the order and names, the third item in the rightmost column, and the second item in the column besides it.) Additionally, I wonder if we might want to use the model for a regular axe (the one at the top) for felling axe instead. I think this is the one which looks mostly like a tool made to chop down trees, and less like a weapon.

Edited: 2011-09-19, 23:08

Ships!

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-09-20, 11:53

Sorry to be so late: not much time currently
Leather application on the axes sure look nice, but the first version was still a bit dark
Pependicular: Yes!
Warhelmet: Very good now!
Exchange Felling axe <-> Axe: I would agree to that.
Helmet: still a bit dull compared with those on the helmsmithy.
If you rework the helmsmithy, maybe giving all the helmets the opposite PC-metal pattern as the masks would look good? (i.e. player color vertical stripe on shining metal). Just an idea.
What can we do to let the player color parts appear as player color in the menu.pngs?
An extra job for the coders, I guess, but it I am almost sure, it would be worth it.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
Personal_Joke

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-09-20, 12:18

Astuur wrote: What can we do to let the player color parts appear as player color in the menu.pngs? An extra job for the coders, I guess, but it I am almost sure, it would be worth it.

I would be against this, just because it's THE ONLY PLACE where you would see the helmets in-game in their true form.

Edited: 2011-09-20, 12:18

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-09-20, 15:46

Okay.
I will go with:

• the helmets as they currently stand
  • the "perpendicular" views of the axes of the ash-handle/leather wrapped variety
  • the larger idle (i.e. "on the road") images of the axes
  • switching the axe and the felling axe images

In other words, I'll use the axe and helmet wares files currently in my personal branch, but swap the axe and the felling_axe. (and maybe tweak the broadaxe a little to help distinguish it from the felling_axe-axe)

Next up: back to the trainingscamp (which this forum is supposed to be about.) face-smile.png

Edited: 2011-09-20, 15:50

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-09-20, 16:21

I've pushed the above changes to my personal branch

I see little people.

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-09-20, 17:41

Ah Chuck --- I feel your eagerness to go on :), but...
There is one point worth re-thinking -- maybe.
The scaling of the menu.pngs for all the axes to show their full extent leads to the phenomenon, that the bigger an axe actually is, (head, shaft and all) the smaller the "dangerous" part looks in the end.
This is a rather unwanted result, IMO.
The only solution I can think of, is to cut off the handle at some point and make the menu pics a common scale.
Of course, if no one else sees this as a problem, I can well live with it "as is".
I am currently getting the larger idle pics; so I have not seen them in game yet. Still I am sure, bigger is better in this case.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-09-20, 17:48

@Personal_Joke:
Sorry, I don't get your point. What do you mean by their "true form"?
If they are designed to be shown in partly player color, that is exactly how they really are; it's their "true form", no?

Top Quote