Latest Posts

Topic: Barbarian Trainingscamp Remodel

chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-09-15, 17:56

I mentioned that I'd have to come up with some 3D models of the various axes and armour if I wished to include them with the trainingscamp. Here are the axes I've designed. (Remember you will never see them this large again.) face-wink.png
In the order of advancement through training:
axe sharp
Well, that point has to be sharp even if the blade isn't. face-wink.png
broad bronze battle warrior
I hope by giving them unique designs they will be easier to identify on the road.
And not to leave out the "other" axe in the game :), felling
Both it and the soldier's "Axe" are taken directly from the models of the lumberjack and soldier. (Want to keep it authentic, you know.) face-wink.png

Do you think it's time to upgrade the wares images of these weapons?

Comments?

I see little people.

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-09-15, 18:26

Oops... so it's Tetrahedron, okay.... sorry I did not look that up - I thought it might be "international" face-smile.png
So, imagine the axes all with their sharp edges hewn vertically into the beams.
I guess you know what I mean.
I like your axe- models a lot. Too bad you won't see them so clearly in the end.
The bronze axe is more like a copper axe face-smile.png but the rest is excellent.
If you still have power left, you might work a bit on the shafts;
If my life depended on an axe, I would not touch anything with a shaft as flimsy as this face-smile.png
Depending on what you will see after downsizing, you might want shafts thick at the front end, (twice the diameter!) tapered and with a knob at the end.
Broadaxe, battle axe and warrior's axe are probably bimanual, so their handles will be a bit longer than the rest.
Just my ideas as usual face-smile.png

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-09-15, 20:21

Astuur wrote: Oops... so it's Tetrahedron, okay.... sorry I did not look that up - I thought it might be "international"

I would like to think solid geometry is international, too. face-wink.png

So, imagine the axes all with their sharp edges hewn vertically into the beams. I guess you know what I mean.

Yep!

I like your axe- models a lot. Too bad you won't see them so clearly in the end. The bronze axe is more like a copper axe but the rest is excellent.

Yes, I think I'll give it a little more tin alloy. face-smile.png

If you still have power left, you might work a bit on the shafts; If my life depended on an axe, I would not touch anything with a shaft as flimsy as this
Depending on what you will see after downsizing, you might want shafts thick at the front end, (twice the diameter!) tapered and with a knob at the end. Broadaxe, battle axe and warrior's axe are probably bimanual, so their handles will be a bit longer than the rest. Just my ideas as usual

Good ideas... as usual. face-smile.png

I borrowed the helmet from the soldier model, (He wasn't using it at the time.), and pushed and pulled the mesh around until I came up with these:
helm mask Warhelm
I turned off mirroring for the "gold" material for these shots.

Think I am in the right ball park? face-smile.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-09-15, 22:37

Axes Rehandled: handles

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-09-15, 23:19

Helms: helms

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-09-16, 04:38

Latest refinements:
sheet
I'll post game-ready files soon so you can test these as wares in the game if you wish. (Notice how these samples are getting smaller? I warned you.) face-wink.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-09-16, 13:51

Small, these axes, but still very nice!
Helmets.... how about a (none/small/large in White/Player color)) plume to even better recognize the difference?
Otherwise, much better than the existing models, they looked to mystical and indigenous for my taste. Looking very much forward to try them out.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-09-16, 14:19

Astuur wrote: Small, these axes, but still very nice!

Well, so are the soldiers. face-grin.png

Helmets.... how about a (none/small/large in White/Player color)) plume to even better recognize the difference?

I don't know about plumes on Norsemen (assuming these barbarians are northern tribesmen, of course). I could try a little fur on the mask around the rim of the helmet a la Mongols and make the wings on the warhelmet PlayerColor. I'll let you all judge the effect.

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-09-16, 22:18

If you wish to take the new axes and (plume-less) helmets for a test drive in the game, I've pushed them to https://code.launchpad.net/~chuckw20/widelands/Barbarian_Axes_and_Helms

Comments welcome.

I see little people.

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-09-17, 06:35

Hmm.. you're right about the plumes.... this isn't your normannic 12th century knight....
But I don't know about fur either .... Stag's antlers for the warhelmet? The wings in player color sounds also very good...

Edited: 2011-09-17, 06:52

Top Quote